JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Love chainsaws despite the maintenance requirements. Gas, electric or battery, they all have a function or purpose. BUT in a SHTF situation you may want a one man or two man 'misery whip' for backup. Also a good axe would be an option.
for felling trees, an ax and wedges are also needed
have an old Collins #3 1/2, an Olimpia double blade and a Hudson Bay ax for pounding in wedges
also have an old single Jack whip saw we bought at a barn sale
and a 30" bow saw

was cutting of small maple trees yesterday with my battery 14" and got the chain into the dirt
don't care what others might say, it didn't cut as well after that
will take a round file to it today

I read the old loggers called the double blade a "back stabber"
found out why the first spring we had it
was walking down to the woods with it over my shoulder, tripped on a blackberry vine and that ax cut right through my Carhartts and put a nice slice in my back - you can shave with the head on that ax
ordered a sheath for it that night

20201217_155749.jpg Forestry Axe.jpg 20201217_155035.jpg

Been sharpening chains with a round file since I was 12 years old.

There was no such thing as a built-in chain oiler in those days, so every so often we pumped a bit of oil onto the chain. After four or five squirts, it was time to take a break and sharpen the chain. Even for a 12-year old, it only took 5 minutes.

Holding the bar? Geez! Just lay it on a stick of wood and file away. In those days, saws were big and heavy enough so I could sit on the powerhead with the bar resting on a chunk of firewood.

Of course, nowadays, in light of inflation and the poor state of education it takes the average millennial sissy two days and several half-caf-decaf oat milk latte's to sharpen their wife's chain by taking it to the hardware store in their Prius.

Been sharpening chains with a round file since I was 12 years old.

There was no such thing as a built-in chain oiler in those days, so every so often we pumped a bit of oil onto the chain. After four or five squirts, it was time to take a break and sharpen the chain. Even for a 12-year old, it only took 5 minutes.

Holding the bar? Geez! Just lay it on a stick of wood and file away. In those days, saws were big and heavy enough so I could sit on the powerhead with the bar resting on a chunk of firewood.

Of course, nowadays, in light of inflation and the poor state of education it takes the average millennial sissy two days and several half-caf-decaf oat milk latte's to sharpen their wife's chain by taking it to the hardware store in their Prius.
the new lightweight saws don't hold still on a truck bed or tree stump
my old 036 only weighs 12 lbs and will not hold still with 2 hands on the file
just ordered a strap down vice
will work on my work bench, truck tail gate or even my RTV tail gate
will let you know how it works

the new lightweight saws don't hold still on a truck bed or tree stump
my old 036 only weighs 12 lbs and will not hold still with 2 hands on the file
just ordered a strap down vice
will work on my work bench, truck tail gate or even my RTV tail gate
will let you know how it works
I have a 15-year old Stihl 025 and a 2-year old Stihl 311. Both are sharpened easily without a vise.

Use a round file of the proper size and quit goofing around with electric sharpeners or guides.

I've got a little "home gamer" green 18". Ive never felled a stick with it but have bucked 30" plus rounds. Does what I need.

Bought 3 round files…
4 extra chains…
A carb rebuild kit and filters…
Pre mixed gas (better shelf life than oil mixed)….

All at once… right off the bat. Files and PPE stay in the case. With couple chains.

Easy to swap chain and sharpen at home with harbor freight electric. Does what I need. Round cut to match quick file.

I have a 15-year old Stihl 025 and a 2-year old Stihl 311. Both are sharpened easily without a vise.

Use a round file of the proper size and quit goofing around with electric sharpeners or guides.
it takes skill to hold a file one handed and get an accurate 11 deg cut each time
at present time, I take 2 chains for each saw when I go down in the RTV
have a bucket full of chains that need to be sharpened
since one can get Oergon chains for the battery saws for only $12 ea, I have a lot of chains in that bucket

it takes skill to hold a file one handed and get an accurate 11 deg cut each time
at present time, I take 2 chains for each saw when I go down in the RTV
have a bucket full of chains that need to be sharpened
since one can get Oergon chains for the battery saws for only $12 ea, I have a lot of chains in that bucket
Develop good skills with practice.
Practice good skills; live a good life.

Develop good skills with practice.
Practice good skills; live a good life.
sharpening chainsaw chains is not a life skill for me, just maintaining a tool I seldom use
most of my neighbors now keep 14" battery chainsaws in their trucks
fits behind your truck seat, fuel never goes bad, it doesn't stink up your truck cab, you can get a 4 pack of S52 chains for $27

Hmmm. 4000 feet seems a bit much.

Here is a photo of one in Settle WA - essentially sea level.

View attachment 1812441
Ans some more, near Paris, France (elevation less than 500 feet asl)

View attachment 1812443
I found reference that Sequoia were planted in much of Europe and they have survived
I guess I'll get a half dozen and see if they do survive this low in Washington
and the issue of freezing didn't seem to affect them ether
the 7 redwoods seedlings I bought last year were killed in their pots by our recent 16 deg freeze, all the needles are turning yellow
I'm building a planter barrel with ground heating this week - wires regulate at 78 deg in the soil
will plant Deodar Cedar, Sequoia and Redwood in this planter

sharpening chainsaw chains is not a life skill for me, just maintaining a tool I seldom use
most of my neighbors now keep 14" battery chainsaws in their trucks
fits behind your truck seat, fuel never goes bad, it doesn't stink up your truck cab, you can get a 4 pack of S52 chains for $27
a note on sharpening chains on battery saws
both my 14" and 18" battery saws have permanent magnet motors, the magnet holds the gear in place even with the battery pulled
they don't freewheel like gas chainsaws
if you"re sharpening your chain installed on the saw, wear a glove to pull on the chain
go ahead - ask me how I know this

I found reference that Sequoia were planted in much of Europe and they have survived
I guess I'll get a half dozen and see if they do survive this low in Washington
and the issue of freezing didn't seem to affect them ether
the 7 redwoods seedlings I bought last year were killed in their pots by our recent 16 deg freeze, all the needles are turning yellow
I'm building a planter barrel with ground heating this week - wires regulate at 78 deg in the soil
will plant Deodar Cedar, Sequoia and Redwood in this planter

I read that Portland has an Urban Forestry Division
any tree you wish or need to cut down has to be approved and permitted (fee) by the City of Portland
then you have to have a second permit to remove the stump
and a 3rd permit to replant another tree and the type of tree must be on Portland's approved list
many of the trees that fell in this years storm were known dangerous, but Portland would not issue removal permits
we cut down old diseased trees every year and replant using Cedar, Hemlock, Spruce and now coastal Redwoods
I grow my own new trees from seed, cuttings or seedlings from growers
just another reason not to live in Portland

here's a unique chain saw blade - will install it today
it's made by DR trimmer
turns my DR into a 8 hp, electric start wheeled chainsaw
good for clearing saplings in the orchard and forest
cut clean at 1" above the ground without bending over
then i use a DR stump grinder to clean up the remains and grind them below ground level

20240205_093107_01.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top