JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My carry ammo for the .40 S&W is Federal's 155 gr HST Law Enforcement load. Just go with loads that use lighter weight bullets that expand well, and you can eliminate the too much penetration issue.

Just look how it compares to a Federal HST 9mm cartridge:

HST_DSC_0500_TIT_on.jpg

My carry ammo for the .40 S&W is Federal's 155 gr HST Law Enforcement load. Just go with loads that use lighter weight bullets that expand well, and you can eliminate the too much penetration issue.

Just look how it compares to a Federal HST 9mm cartridge:

View attachment 301919
i dont mean to start any debate here but when i see pictures like this it shows me that a 40 should do a lot more damage than a 9mm

i dont mean to start any debate here but when i see pictures like this it shows me that a 40 should do a lot more damage than a 9mm

Well, when it comes to performance, a lot has to do with bullet design. I think that a lot of .40 S&W ammo has used heavy, slow 180 gr bullets that do not expand well. I believe that may have contributed a lot to its poor reputation, and complaints about over penetration.

However, go with a really good bullet design and weight, and you can get great performance. Just take a look at these recovered bullets from Federal LE HST loads, in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP:

federal_hst_ammo_11.jpg

I started one of those "40 ammo dump" threads awhile back. When I wrote it, it really seemed as though a ton of people were liquidating their 40S&W assets. It gave me a chance to buy a TON of 40 ammo.

Though I carry 9mm for the capacity, my HD is a G22 with an extended magazine. There's no need to conceal a 19-round mag when it's on your nightstand.

The thing I love about 40 as a HD round is that even the hottest heavy 40 (I prefer HST 180gr) is subsonic. That makes it a perfect candidate for suppression!

10mm........
Nuff said:cool::s0013:
:s0045::s0060:
About yawn?
I've got no problem against "power". I used to carry a 4" M-29 with 320gr SWC wrist breakers for a few years. Under my t-shirt. I weighed probably 130 lbs and it weighed around four. no problems, fine handgun. Elk don't really come into the equation.. unless you're potting elk.

Perhaps in a steel frame that was designed for 9mm and then up-calibered to 40. That argument is so 1990. Ever hear of a Glock 22 splitting? They have the exact same frame as a G17. I haven't heard any stories of polymer frames having any problems.

I like mine. Not getting rid of it anytime soon. I wouldn't mind picking up another in subcompact flavor.

I carry 9 over 40 due to one being subcompact and lighter.

Well, but in many cases, one can buy a subcompact .40 S&W that is just as small and lightweight as a 9mm subcompact. With the Walther PPS ( which is my carry gun ), the .40 S&W model has the exact same external dimensions as the 9mm version, and the weight difference empty is less than a half ounce, which is basically negligible.

Perhaps in a steel frame that was designed for 9mm and then up-calibered to 40. That argument is so 1990. Ever hear of a Glock 22 splitting? They have the exact same frame as a G17. I haven't heard any stories of polymer frames having any problems.

Just KABOOMs from unsupported case heads after being bored out to 40. Its mostly solved now and there is a stamp Glock put on the barrel to signify that it was of the new design. But, for a while, it was not smart to reload 40 shot out of a Glock and then reshooting out of said Glock. The cases above the web would weaken an then give way, blowing the magazine out of the gun.

Just KABOOMs from unsupported case heads after being bored out to 40. Its mostly solved now and there is a stamp Glock put on the barrel to signify that it was of the new design. But, for a while, it was not smart to reload 40 shot out of a Glock and then reshooting out of said Glock. The cases above the web would weaken an then give way, blowing the magazine out of the gun.

A lot of the Glock Kabooms actually involved .45 ACP models.

45acp-unsup.jpg

glock02-jpg.7888.jpg

Well, but in many cases, one can buy a subcompact .40 S&W that is just as small and lightweight as a 9mm subcompact. With the Walther PPS ( which is my carry gun ), the .40 S&W model has the exact same external dimensions as the 9mm version, and the weight difference empty is less than a half ounce, which is basically negligible.

I carry my 9mm because it's lighter and smaller than my 40. Nothing to do with other guns on the market.

Well I could go back to you tube and find the doctor from harborview that said most pistol calibers leave about the exact same wound chanel,but I'll let all yalls that GAS do it yourself.
Caliber is second to placement. If you have a large caliber handgun and can hit shyt,then it ain't no good for you. If you can hit more with a smaller caliber then that's the gun for you.
I'm sure 40 in certain guns are perfect for certain people. Doesn't make it ant better or worse than any other caliber
Can I put this up again?
:s0013:
:s0013:
:s0013::s0024:
:s0133::s0052:

This is not a thread about 9 vs 40, @mjbskwim . No, it's about whether the Great Flee From Foh-tee had possibly subsided or even reversed.

I don't understand all the dead horse beating claims in the thread. We're just talking about the perception, not the fact.

This is not a thread about 9 vs 40, @mjbskwim . No, it's about whether the Great Flee From Foh-tee had possibly subsided or even reversed.

I don't understand all the dead horse beating claims in the thread. We're just talking about the perception, not the fact.
No,it's starting to devolve into a caliber pi$$ing match.
My post above was a joke.
As far as the 40 coming back,I think there was WAY too much invested in that caliber for it to go very far from mainstream.
Maybe makers have figured out the springs and weights better and guns are handling better and have less recoil?
Hey as long as the 40 does good there will be better bullets for the 10mm;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top