JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been noticing a lot more action on the .40S&W front recently. Folks are buying, selling and talking about the .40.
A few months ago there were threads about the ".40S&W ammo dump" and "why does everyone hate the .40S&W." Also, discussions about the cartridge's characteristics, utility and propensity for over penetration.
Have we finally come to our senses? Did the round get better? Personally I like the round, but as an old varmint hunter, I just like velocity in general. I'll never sell mine, though I haven't carried it for years. I would like a light carbine in that caliber, I think it would be a handy combo set.
So is it yea or nay, these days? Watcha' think?:)

I like the round. I have a Sig 2022 in 40 but it is on the large side. For HD I run a 45. But for CC I think 9mm is the best compromise. On the average you only get 3 more rounds, but it just sounds better to your brain. 15-16 of 9mm compared to 12--13 of 40.

I don't know, seems to go back and forth. I like the .40, I think it's a perfectly capable round and it has a place in my collection. My bedside gun is a .40 and I feel very comfortable knowing it's there.

I have also advocated that Glocks in .40 are the most versatile guns. With a simple swap of a barrel you can switch over to .357 Sig. Or swap a barrel and a magazine and you have a 9mm. I like having some versatility in my guns :) For defensive use, I tend to just leave them in their stock .40 configuration though. BTW, I've done the same conversions with a Beretta 96A1 (OEM 9mm barrel and magazine) and an M&P 40 (Storm Lake barrel and 9mm magazine). Nice to have the option to switch to allow for slightly cheaper plinking or if you're low on .40, which I am at the moment...

It's true that a 10mm will do everything a .40 can, and more. A lot more if you're rolling your own!
I'm lucky that I own an old .40 Firestar. It's very compact and pleasant to shoot, being all steel. 'Course, I don't pack it because it's too heavy for an old guy!:)

Personally I'm not a .40 fan.

Pretty content with 9mm and never intended to start in with .45's so I probably shouldn't say I'll never own one, but I don't see a need for it (in my life) if the gun comes in 9mm.

The only way I can see getting one is in trade and not by intentionally going out and buying something in that caliber.

I don't hate the .40, actually think it is somewhat better than either 9mm or .45, but I bailed on it because I am trying to standardize, and I like the economy and availability of the 9mm, also that it is the standard military cartridge. I'd get out of .45 too if I didn't have my Dad's 1911, keeping it for memory's sake.

I think 9mm makes more sense for capacity, cost, and ability to shoot. That said I have a Sig in 40 that is just a great shooter for me and more accurate than some of my 9mm. I like the round and feel confident in its, and my ability. Ultimately it's what you shoot best that matters, and usually there is more 40 available when other calibers aren't. I wouldn't recommend 40 as a first caliber though to a newer shooter

There is a lot positive about the 40... During the last panic it was one of the few rounds you could find just about anywhere. There are also a lot of inexpensive used pistols on the market from PD's that have switched to 9mm. It's definitely a better stopper, but like all pistol rounds you need to hit a vital area to make a stop.

A few years ago I consolidated all of my pistol calibers (9mm, .380, 38 & 45) for 40S&W. I am not into having tons of unsorted ammo in the safe. I used to shoot quite a bit more but prices on ammo & fishing completely took over my life and feel I am rock solid on my ability to protect my family and self.
If i yell throw me another magazine honey I'm out, there is no confusion of "which one"..... except if she throws me a Pmag....... lol:eek::eek::eek:

I like mine. Not getting rid of it anytime soon. I wouldn't mind picking up another in subcompact flavor.

I carry 9 over 40 due to one being subcompact and lighter.

Edit;
I have my practice .40 loads dialed in so they are lightweight, low recoil and anyone can shoot them.

Last Edited:
I started with the 9mm back in the Super-Vel and whatnot days. Browning Hi-Power for platform. There were pretty viable rounds back then. There are way more now. Have always cast and loaded medium to heavy semi-wadcutters for it too.
Underwood makes a nice +P+ 115 that goes 1550 out of a 4" and that pretty much rivals the classic .357 magnum stopper in my book. If you handload, a grain a powder costs like 1/7000 of $20 or whatever if you want to +P(+) your own.
I've never had a need for anything else.

I like mine. Not getting rid of it anytime soon. I wouldn't mind picking up another in subcompact flavor.

I carry 9 over 40 due to one being subcompact and lighter.

Edit;
I have my practice .40 loads dialed in so they are lightweight, low recoil and anyone can shoot them.
X2 on the light 40 loads except i load them light to save on powder. i load my handguns for plinkin. .2-.4gr less per round adds up over 1000+ rounds. LOL!

Oh edit. The "edit" buttons don't appear for me in my posted posts so.
I do "have need for anything else" and use magnums and whatnots but not .40 or .45acp.
anyway

I've been noticing a lot more action on the .40S&W front recently. Folks are buying, selling and talking about the .40.
A few months ago there were threads about the ".40S&W ammo dump" and "why does everyone hate the .40S&W." Also, discussions about the cartridge's characteristics, utility and propensity for over penetration.

Playboy Penguin also made a post a couple of months ago, that he had switched his everyday carry from a .357 Magnum Chiappa revolver, over to a 4 inch Chiappa in .40 S&W.

If Playboy Penguin endorses the .40 S&W, then you know that it really has to be a good round. No one on this website knows more about carrying and shooting handguns than he does.

If you did not see his post, here is the photo that he posted of his new EDC back in May:

242775-85558ef5ac75cc28b2b21fff092088eb.jpg

I have been a fan of the .40 S&W for a long time. My own carry .40 S&W is even lighter and more compact, and it even holds 7 rounds ( 6+1 ), instead of only 6. The Walther PPS in .40 S&W is surprisingly comfortable and easy to shoot accurately, despite its small, and very thin dimensions.

Walther PPS grip.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews