JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sturdy chair, some rope, straight-razor, cheese grater, ball-peen hammer, sharpened rusty tablespoon, stainless steel bowl, full salt shaker,, bag of lime, and a shovel…….
A good start. And a horrific reminder to profile. always and everywhere.

One lesson from this sad story is that having a video surveillance system that is contained on-site is vulnerable. Some sort of off-site backup that is protected (can't be wiped or overwritten from the monitored site) is necessary for the system to be of use in a case like this.

My take is that the killers were at least semi-professional. They probably cased the store prior to the attack and knew that there was a system and probably where it was located. They probably intended to kill everyone in the store, and timed the attack for the end of the workday so it would take a while before someone came around to check. If it turns out that the "open" sign was turned off and visual cues to the store being closed were put in place, that would confirm this.

With this increase in crime expanding nationwide, expect small businesses to be targeted. They have the fewest resources for security, and often not technology-savvy. We are slipping back into third-world status when it comes to gang-related crime, and part of that is the open arms our government is giving to criminal emigrants.

If I ran a small gun store, this would make me completely review my security plan. Training, equipment, operations, and policies. I would be getting some training about "profiling" in the hope of spotting anyone casing my store. Identifying the potential attackers would be one way of getting the jump on them.

Perhaps we should have a separate thread on security in our troubled times.

My take is that the killers were at least semi-professional. They probably cased the store prior to the attack and knew that there was a system and probably where it was located.
Ditto this - and It was emphasized in one story I read the person(s) who did this were either familiar with the location because they had possibly been in there multiple times or they had some sort of inside knowledge about what was going on inside the store.

I am sure whoever planned and carried this out probably counted on the rural, 'laid back' atmosphere of the place as well.

Another story I read about this said authorities were looking for 'one' person involved in this. If so, this will make it much more difficult to find the person.

Ditto this - and It was emphasized in one story I read the person(s) who did this were either familiar with the location because they had possibly been in there multiple times or they had some sort of inside knowledge about what was going on inside the store.

I am sure whoever planned and carried this out probably counted on the rural, 'laid back' atmosphere of the place as well.

Another story I read about this said authorities were looking for 'one' person involved in this. If so, this will make it much more difficult to find the person.
Yes, most perps are caught because they can't keep their mouths shut. The fewer involved, the harder it is to find them.

It would be interesting to hear if he/they took the bound book and any other records that have the serial numbers.

If I had a gun store I'd seriously consider a man trap, giggity. Not to be confused with a gimp door.
Barring a bona-fide man trap booth at least a magnetic door lock to buzz in and coded to buzz out.
But hey, gun stores generally have guns and ammo to defeat doors with.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top