JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if it's been posted...

Screenshot_20240510-090402_Instagram.jpg

China and Russia are two of the top producers and exporters of nitrocellulose in the world. US production is limited, and mostly high grade for the pharmaceutical, paint, and other non-munitions industries. This issue has been talked about for a while now, specifically since the start of the Ukraine war and our current relations with China.

The demand for nitrocellulose right now is off the charts.
What the West thought would be a quick little war has now slapped them in the face.
After 3 years of the Nato countries giving Ukraine their ammo stocks now their stocks are rock bottom.
In case anybody hasn't been paying attention the Nato countries are gearing-up for war.
Ammo production in those countries is now running almost 24/7.
Artillery and tank ammo uses LOTS of nitrocellulose.

What you guys seeing for prices locally?
For stick powders, $55 for Accurate, $55 to $65 for Hodgdon, $65-75 for IMR. When it can be found. Alliant powders have been absent for a long time. I saw one pound of one of the slower RL powders about two months ago, it was $70.

Ball powders still seem to be around. If you shoot .30-06 in M1 Rifles, you can make replicant M2 rounds with BL(C)-2 which is $44 the pound and often available.

There is bound to be some unemployment coming about from this shortage. Places like Powder Valley. They won't need as many people to ship fewer powders.

Get out the old reloading books. I found a pound of Herco for $10 at a local gun show last month. It wasn't very old, either.

A few years ago, a guy gave me a couple of pounds of Hercules Hi-Vel No. 2, I had to go back in older books for that.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top