JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, asking the seasoned long range/hunting folks here: is it common to have your scope be laterally uncentered from the barrel? I was plum bobbin' since I'm going to shoot out to a couple hundred yards this weekend on my Aero AR10, with a Vortex LPVO and Vortex rings, and noticed that my scope is uncentered. I don't mean the reticle, I mean the scope itself. See photos for reference.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if it's faulty rings or something. The scope mount (1 piece, not 2 separate rings) is securely and appropriately installed. Since I'm newer to the world of using scopes (always been shooting within 100 yards so never needed a scope, and haven't been hunting yet), I figured I'd check with you guys first.

IMG_6843.jpeg IMG_6841.jpeg

Hope these photos show well enough. Disregard the dust - shows you how little I've been able to touch this rifle. Also, yes, I'm aware the scope isn't centered between the rings.

View attachment 1776155 View attachment 1776156 View attachment 1776157
can you show us pics of these but from the other side?
I want to see if theres a gap between the mount and the rail.

(your scope doesnt need to be centered, it just needs to be set for your eye relief but save that for another discussion)

can you show us pics of these but from the other side?
I want to see if theres a gap between the mount and the rail.

(your scope doesnt need to be centered, it just needs to be set for your eye relief but save that for another discussion)
Here is side B. Basically the same as side A.

IMG_6848.jpeg IMG_6850.jpeg

@danarzh
Im going to go with bad scope mount. Do you have a different mount to swap it out with? Or Id see if you can pick up a new one locally before the weekend. I wouldnt waste ammo zeroing on an offset mounted scope like that.

As a last double check. Take it off and put it back on the rifle.
Make certain no gunk or anything is up under the base where the non clamping side wedges into the pic rail.

Out of spec mount would be my guess. Either that or the pic rail on the upper is out of spec.

Did you build the rifle or buy it factory?

Last Edited:
@danarzh
Im going to go with bad scope mount. Do you have a different mount to swap it out with? Or Id see if you can pick up a new one locally before the weekend. I wouldnt waste ammo zeroing on an offset mounted scope like that.
I don't have a different scope mount (that isn't already in use), so I'm going to go with a bad scope mount. This miiiiight be why this mount came free with the scope from PSA. Starting to read the writing on the wall for that promotion last year…

Last Edited:
Out of spec mount would be my guess. Either that or the pic rail on the upper is out of spec.

Did you build the rifle or buy it factory?
Built it from 100% aero parts (not counting accessories), purchased a fully assembled upper from aero though.

Might need to check out a warranty, or just buy some good quality rings.

It's not a mechanical problem.
It's a photography problem.
It's called parallax.
If your picture was taken directly over the top of the scope, there would be no shadow to the right of the scope.

This is a very common problem for most shooters - not understanding how parallax error has a huge effect on POI.
And I'm not talking about the knob on the left side of your scope.

Furthermore, your turret caps need to be switched. your windage cap is on your elevation turret.

It's not a mechanical problem.
It's a photography problem.
It's called parallax.
If your picture was taken directly over the top of the scope, there would be no shadow to the right of the scope.

This is a very common problem for most shooters - not understanding how parallax error has a huge effect on POI.
And I'm not talking about the knob on the left side of your scope.

Furthermore, your turret caps need to be switched. your windage cap is on your elevation turret.
I appreciate the feedback, you're probably correct with me not being directly center of the rifle with the camera, but the scope is in fact uncentered. The head-on photo shows that, and also, I know you won't be able to see it because, well, you're not in my house, but seeing it with my eyes shows a clear uncentered scope. Another thing regarding iPhone cameras (not sure about other phones) but the source of the flash is not exactly where the camera lens is - there is a slight offset, so there will naturally be a discrepancy of either offcentering the flash, or offcentering the camera.

Regarding the caps - that's exactly how they came. I can definitely switch them, but that won't change anything functionally, if I'm not mistaken, right?

Regarding the caps - that's exactly how they came. I can definitely switch them, but that won't change anything functionally, if I'm not mistaken, right?
Correct if those are internal turrets. Typically the factory puts the cap with the logo on the side/windage turret.

What model Vortex scope is it?

Do you have another scope and rings you could take off a different rifle and put on that one?

Process of elimination. If the problem continues it's the upper. If not than it's the mount.

Hey guys, asking the seasoned long range/hunting folks here: is it common to have your scope be laterally uncentered from the barrel? I was plum bobbin' since I'm going to shoot out to a couple hundred yards this weekend on my Aero AR10, with a Vortex LPVO and Vortex rings, and noticed that my scope is uncentered. I don't mean the reticle, I mean the scope itself. See photos for reference.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if it's faulty rings or something. The scope mount (1 piece, not 2 separate rings) is securely and appropriately installed. Since I'm newer to the world of using scopes (always been shooting within 100 yards so never needed a scope, and haven't been hunting yet), I figured I'd check with you guys first.

View attachment 1776130 View attachment 1776131
Is the front scope ring mounted on the handguard? I've seen a few hand guards on AR's that weren't lined up perfectly with the upper receiver, even one higher end ones. If both rings are mounted on the upper receiver, one of the rings might not be slotted, and is instead just clamping onto the sides of the railing. I did this a month ago while mounting a scope on my AR-15; I put the rings on the scope before I put them on the AR, so the rings were not lined up properly. If this is the issue, just leave your scope in place, loosen up the scope rings and adjust them so they are slotted properly, and then tighten them again. Hope this helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top