JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you have another scope and rings you could take off a different rifle and put on that one?

Process of elimination. If the problem continues it's the upper. If not than it's the mou

Is the front scope ring mounted on the handguard? I've seen a few hand guards on AR's that weren't lined up perfectly with the upper receiver, even one higher end ones. If both rings are mounted on the upper receiver, one of the rings might not be slotted, and is instead just clamping onto the sides of the railing. I did this a month ago while mounting a scope on my AR-15; I put the rings on the scope before I put them on the AR, so the rings were not lined up properly. If this is the issue, just leave your scope in place, loosen up the scope rings and adjust them so they are slotted properly, and then tighten them again. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the heads up! This is actually a 1 piece cantilever mount, and it's mounted on the receiver. I'll definitely remember that for when I get separate rings though.

That will get you started.
Is your rifle a 308? Hunting big game or just target shooting?
Yes sir. Right now just target shooting but I'd love to get into hunting - much more sustainable rather than buying meat at the prices they are these days. Ultimately, I'll be getting a bolt action for that, though.

Yes sir. Right now just target shooting but I'd love to get into hunting - much more sustainable rather than buying meat at the prices they are these days. Ultimately, I'll be getting a bolt action for that, though.
A 308 is a good deer elk caliber, regardless of rifle type. If you do buy a dedicated hunting rifle there are better calibers though.
Hunting isnt exactly sustainable anymore though, its not easy. Do it cause you enjoy it.

Do you have another scope and rings you could take off a different rifle and put on that one?

Process of elimination. If the problem continues it's the upper. If not than it's the mount.
I believe this is the only way to solve the problem. Especially since we don't have the rifle in front of us and a micrometer in hand. Seeing a few pictures online produces speculation because of our lack of ability to investigate more thoroughly.

In the automotive industry, when diagnosing a difficult problem, there are hundreds of possible solutions - sometimes.
The mechanic uses his experience to narrow down what might be the source of the problem, then he "substitutes with a known good part" and observes the outcome.
This is the most cost-effective solution.

Alright folks, time for an update. Remember when I said that I can be stupid at times? It happens more often than you think. Or maybe just as often as you think…anyways.

Thank you everyone for helping diagnose and giving input. When I was working on it last night, I didn't have lots of light. Upon further inspection today (in the daylight), I noticed that the upper (again, fully assembled at Aero) had the hand guard ever so slightly canted, which made it appear that the scope was off centered. I know, I should have double checked that when I finished assembling the rifle originally, but apparently that slipped through the cracks. I readjusted the hand guard and all is good in the hood now.

Mystery solved, lessons learned: use ample light when working on your firearms, and always confirm the fit and finish of your purchases, even if it was assembled at the company. Thanks again everyone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top