JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fairly easy to EMP proof an older pickup. Say a 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4. Small block V/8. OEM granny 4 speed manual. Carb. Find an earlier breaker point ignition distributor. Find a good used old fashioned coil. Hook it up. No electronical stuff at all in the truck except the OEM radio. Find and install a very old generator with manual contact points type voltage regulator. Any good battery.

Fairly EMP proof. Fairly cheap to do. Probably also very CME resistant. The truck is fairly easy to work on also. SAE tools. But understand if the balloon goes up your still running pickup will be a hijackers magnet. Yep. Our plan if possible is to just disappear for about one month. How this would be done is very difficult. Iron clad security is required and we have many grand daughters.

Just to get home? High enough clearance to simply hop a curb, and not get stuck. It's not much, most SUV's should be able to no prob. Most crossover types, not so much as stock. Maybe with upsized +1 or +2 tires. JMO mind.

ie if "something happens", and it's a well known what ever, then more than likely main arterial and the decent secondaries will be gridlocked pretty quickly. If you know your routes, you might be able to te-route to tertiaries...but not if your stuck in the gridlock. You can hop curbs to reroute, parking lots, medians etc. We're not talking off highway driving here, just simple short cuts to get you out of gridlock and on your way (knowing your way is critical).

Now...anything involving an EMP type deal? Simply freaking outstanding if you have anything older that runs. Here's the rub with that...90+% of other folks don't. They'll be stuck wherever there vehicles were...in the roadway. Plus crashes all over the place.

Again, JMHO mind, you'd be better served hoofing it just like everyone else. Rather than having to abandon a running vehicle somewhere where you didn't plan to. Disable it correctly & it'll seem like any other non-working vehicle. If your close enough & comfortable enough, you can always come back for it if you can clear some obstructions which may be along the way.

Sure, here in that last scenario having higher lift & offhighway capability might be helpful to drive all the way...but if your deep in town thats a forget about it! Plus you would very quickly (more than likely) enter into uncomfortable security situations. EVERYONE WOULD WANT A LIFT! Which would include all of the meth head bobs and janes...

Better...again JMHO, to let nature take its course with them. And come back for it a long while later.

Obviously, time of day/night matters in the initial situation as to wether you can reasonably expect to weave your way home, vs obviously do not even try.

Lots to ponder, and quick sound decisions to be made for sure...

Volvo's, Priuses and Subaru's. For some reason, none of them can't seem to be driven the legal posted speed limit on any road. Just drive the dang speed limit, that's all I ask.

It's because they all under calibrate their Speedos. It is a static way to increase their safety ratings by making owners think that they are doing the speed limit when they are actually going 5mph slower.

It's because they all under calibrate their Speedos. It is a static way to increase their safety ratings by making owners think that they are doing the speed limit when they are actually going 5mph slower.
While I think that is likely and feasible, I still blame the drivers of said vehicles. Can't they tell that they are impeding traffic? As a group, being oblivious is a strong trait.

Last Edited:
A game warden said the vehicle of choice for poachers in Oregon is a late 80-90's Toyota 4wd. Very popular with that crowd.
Features may crossover to SHTF rig.
I would have to say any first generation Toyota truck product would be my choice.
Said pickup above, 1st gen 4runner, 1st generation Tacoma and original Land Cruiser all are outstanding, versatile and dependable.
My pick is a 2004 4wd double cab Tacoma. Best combination of features in one truck.

While I think that is likely and feasible, I still balme the drivers o said vehicles. Can't they tell that they are impeding traffic? As a group, being oblivious is a strong trait.
? I drive one in the northeast, and I'm always stuck behind 4x4s in snow storms.. I don't speed unless it's an emergency so feel free to pass if I'm going to slow. I've been known to give free knuckle sandwiches for tailgating..

You guys are silly... Anyone can drive any make or model either like a pissed off teenager or a granny that can't see over the steering wheel.

I can get passed by a Prius going 90 on the freeway(cuz that saves gas) or I can get stuck behind BMW M3s going 30 in a 45 on a country road.

I did however enjoy making the previous winter my beeotch in my Subaru AWD

? I drive one in the northeast, and I'm always stuck behind 4x4s in snow storms.. I don't speed unless it's an emergency so feel free to pass if I'm going to slow. I've been known to give free knuckle sandwiches for tailgating..
Thanks for the reminder not to piss you off in traffic. Lol.

Last Edited:
I won't argue they are great vehicles, just not ergonomicly suited for larger people.
Fact. Toyotas in general are not comfortable as most domestics.

I'd know, having only owned one American truck. I'm six foot 160 and toyota seats drive even me crazy.

I really like my Chevy 2011 Silverado ...it works well , gets decent gas mileage , comfortable to ride in plus it looks like everyone else's truck...not to forget to mention it holds all my guns and gear...:D
Andy
DSC05465.jpg

EMP

It is highly over-estimated as a threat.

First, most current model cars will probably work after an EMP blast just fine. Current electronics are a lot more resilient and resistant to electronic interference than the early EFI electronics (70s to 80s).

EMP is also a line of site threat. If you are behind a hill or in a valley, etc., then it is quite possible that your vehicle won't be in the line of site of an even a high altitude EMP bomb. If the nuke is a ground blast, or slightly low altitude, if it is over the horizon or otherwise not line of site, then unlikely to be a problem with regards to EMP. Purpose made EMP bombs are usually high altitude, but even so, no EMP bomb is going to have 100% coverage, and the strength of the blast is inversely proportional to the distance - i.e., an EMP pulse will decrease in strength by 4 times when you double the distance, 8 times when you quadruple the distance (lookup "inverse square law").

Most later model cars, if affected, will probably be fine if you shut them off and restart them. EMP makes for great PAW fiction, but its effects are way overblown in that fiction. A lot vehicles will still run just fine.

Great point that most people are unaware of. The older vehicles have an advantage because their technology is simpler and easier to duplicate to get/keep them running.

Homepage For those that haven't read the report. Comms are the hardest hit by an EMP and as you state the shielding of their electronics will keep almost all of them operable.

IMO the biggest threat to late model vehicles will be by hacking. I will never own a self driving vehicle.

dodge 12v cummins and manual trans

all mechanical fuel delivery. no electronics on the engine

dont even really need a battery for that truck if you can push start it.

IMG_7739.PNG IMG_7740.PNG IMG_7737.PNG IMG_7736.PNG I recommend a mid 1990's Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 in line 6 cylinder engine. It is considered bulletproof in the sense of reliable engines. It should be 4WD, Auto transmission, 4 door and as stock as possible. You may go with some oversize tires, but not to the point where you need a lift on it. A decent roof rack will allow you some additional storage, but keep the overall cargo weight, heavy bumpers and winches to a minimum, as it will affect fuel mileage overall. This will not be a hot pursuit high speed vehicle, but will give you a bit of torque and maneuverability if necessary. It makes for a nice mid sized vehicle with many available custom accessories if you wish. I am 6' 2" tall and hover around 300 lbs, and have driven my Jeep Cherokee almost daily since i bought it used in 2010. Its not super comfy for my size, but not horrible. It has turned out to be a fantastic vehicle. It has around 220,000 miles on it. I picked it up at a State Surplus auction for $1500. I think I may have put that amount into it for wear and tear since buying it. Easy to work on with parts a plenty around. Rear seats fold down for larger cargo space. It is one tough vehicle. Fuel mileage is reasonable. A tow package can handle towing a smaller trailer or boat if needed. Here are some examples i found online:

My Dad used to say no one needed 4WD till he bought a used '67 GMC pickup with a dump bed. He bought it for the bed, then he found out how 4WD worked and he was a convert. Later he would say "There isn't a month in a year when I don't use 4WD" he did ranching and a lot of custom haying.

I think it is silly to assume vehicles will even work for SHTF, if it is SHTF because of a major earthquake like we are overdue for then I wouldn't count on any vehicle or being able to refuel it. I think SHTF will be that way overdue earthquake,which it seems might not be that far off if you pay attention to earthquakes around the globe using the US government website. That or an EMP attack in which case even if you have a vehicle that isn't effected by the EMP you will immediately become a target as you will be one of the very few with a working vehicle and because of the noise. I would more so plan on getting in shape and having a good amount of supplies you can carry with you on your back via backpack and go bag. I made 2017 my year of getting fit,I'm now about 100 pounds lighter I used to be 250 and 5'9",now I am 150 and 5'10"(I grew a little or maybe I was slouched when I was fat),best shape I have ever been in and feel I can fight competently whether it by with firearms or it becomes a grapple.

Everything I need including a small tent that can fit 3-4 people somewhat comfortably, fit on my back,including all my guns and ammo, I can be out the door with all my gear in less than 10 minutes. Ultimately I am in God's hands but I believe he pushed me to be this physically fit because SHTF is not far off. SHTF I will be on foot keeping a low profile , I have excellent natural night vision and beyond 20/20 vision, one of God's gifts for me, takes me 15 minutes and I can see very well in close to pitch black darkness. All my friends have been amazed by my ability to find a small accidentally dropped object in the dark(I have clumsy friends), it is also why I generally prefer SS guns, any blued guns I noticed the tiniest speck of rust forming(so small most people don't even see it), good vision means that I can also be distracted by further objects so it does have some downsides, the Lord is good to me and I thank him for the talents he has given me,hopefully I will not need to put them to use for a while.

A bicycle or a cart or something similar would work very well; even if just to pull supplies at walking pace.
Think there was a sort of travois like backpack with single wheel, and it was used to pull 100lbs of stuff easily, with most of the weight split between hips and the wheel, much like how a wheelbarrow makes moving heavy stuff easier.

Honestly, thats why I have a bicycle to use just in case roads are gridlocked, or vehicles unusable. Even though being a cyclist could make one a target, its not as much as anyone else on a motor vehicle.

Granted; until such an event occurs, its fine to use standard vehicles, train with them and with alternative modes of transportation, get fit and trained with trail walking or cycling to places.

Mouths to feed, groom/health maintenance, locations for sheltering, and potential food sources for hungry people o_O cool ideas, fine for those who already have the means to provide for them, but not for those who may not. (Apartment dwellers and suburbanites for one)

dodge 12v cummins and manual trans

all mechanical fuel delivery. no electronics on the engine

dont even really need a battery for that truck if you can push start it.

There is a bit of electronics; the heater grid in the intake is controlled by a relay and timer, but the engine will start without it - even when it is below freezing, and you can replace the relay/timer with a switch. There is also the charging system, but as you point out, if you can roll start the truck then the engine should start - but there is also the fuel shutoff electrics - but that can be replaced with a cable.

Good luck pushing my 5 ton flatbed unless you have another truck running.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads