JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a direct answer to the OP's question, early-mid 80's 6.2 Suburban. Dirt cheap, inconspicuous, and reliable. Close 2nd would be same vintage F250/F350 diesel with the drawback of only having so much room in the cab for passengers. If Ford had the Excursion 20 years earlier it would have been my choice.
I'm another that thinks that it's kind of a non-point though. Next time you're stuck in Portland traffic on a Friday afternoon because one car bumper tapped another, just close your eyes and imagine that X1000 but with no bridges. If there is a major natural or military disaster, no one is going anywhere. Stock up and plan to be camping at home for a good long while.

View attachment 468707 View attachment 468708 View attachment 468706 View attachment 468705 I recommend a mid 1990's Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 in line 6 cylinder engine. It is considered bulletproof in the sense of reliable engines. It should be 4WD, Auto transmission, 4 door and as stock as possible. You may go with some oversize tires, but not to the point where you need a lift on it. A decent roof rack will allow you some additional storage, but keep the overall cargo weight, heavy bumpers and winches to a minimum, as it will affect fuel mileage overall. This will not be a hot pursuit high speed vehicle, but will give you a bit of torque and maneuverability if necessary. It makes for a nice mid sized vehicle with many available custom accessories if you wish. I am 6' 2" tall and hover around 300 lbs, and have driven my Jeep Cherokee almost daily since i bought it used in 2010. Its not super comfy for my size, but not horrible. It has turned out to be a fantastic vehicle. It has around 220,000 miles on it. I picked it up at a State Surplus auction for $1500. I think I may have put that amount into it for wear and tear since buying it. Easy to work on with parts a plenty around. Rear seats fold down for larger cargo space. It is one tough vehicle. Fuel mileage is reasonable. A tow package can handle towing a smaller trailer or boat if needed. Here are some examples i found online:

Had one. Loved it. Gave it to a child who killed it. Jeep NEVER should have stopped building them. EASY to work on because they were designed for maintenance like all the pre Mercedes Jeeps were. Perts are cheap and everywhere and all the important ones cross most model years. Dammit you are making me want one and I already have two trucks, a car, and an SUV.

Automatic transmissions are nice in some ways, but they have disadvantages, the most serious one being you will NOT be able to push/roll/pull start almost any vehicle that has an "automatic" transmission - this is pretty much the case with any common production vehicle with an automatic. If you starting system goes down for whatever reason, being able to push/pull/roll start the vehicle is often the quickest solution to getting going again if it is possible. In a SHTF situation, being stuck in traffic or alongside the road because your starting system went FUBAR is not good. So if you have the choice of automatic and manual, take that into account.

View attachment 468766 View attachment 468767
They have worked for 6,000 years.............

As pointed out, they both need to be fed and otherwise cared for, whether they are being used or not.

A mule is better than a horse - more stamina, more sure footed, can carry/pull more weight. A llama is a great pack animal and can be used as a watch animal to a degree. A dog can generally only carry enough to feed and care for itself, but is usually a good watchdog, can be trained to add to protection and can be carried in/on most vehicles.

Had one. Loved it. Gave it to a child who killed it. Jeep NEVER should have stopped building them. EASY to work on because they were designed for maintenance like all the pre Mercedes Jeeps were. Perts are cheap and everywhere and all the important ones cross most model years. Dammit you are making me want one and I already have two trucks, a car, and an SUV.
I just installed a 4.0 AMC fuel injected engine in my 1975 IHC Scout in place of the original AMC 258 it came with. We picked up a ton of power and much better fuel economy. It is in line at the body shop to get new fenders, and paint. The only other issue we have is instead of adapting the original 4 speed trans and dealing with the electronics the engine required from it, we used the original overdrive 5 speed that came with the engine in 2006.....now my 3.73 gears are entirely too high and it has to go in for a 4.10 transplant in the differentials. I love IHC's and would have preferred a good IHC V8 but this should be a good option on the truck. Modern fuel management is magic in the way it produces power while conserving fuel. I think a rig like Andy's is perfect. I bought a similar truck for my daughter from the state of Oregon that she will never let loose of. 5.3 V8 4x4 extended cab with a nice shell. 20 MPG, smooth and safe. Parts available anywhere, torsion bars ride great and stops like a car.

As pointed out, they both need to be fed and otherwise cared for, whether they are being used or not.

A mule is better than a horse - more stamina, more sure footed, can carry/pull more weight. A llama is a great pack animal and can be used as a watch animal to a degree. A dog can generally only carry enough to feed and care for itself, but is usually a good watchdog, can be trained to add to protection and can be carried in/on most vehicles.
My horses only get fed 4 months a year. Otherwise they are on there own. They even drink out of the ditch year around. I like Mules fine and they will eat stuff that horses won't but the most powerful equines are still draft horses. There are plenty of myths around mules. Power takes muscle mass just like in humans. Temperament varies with individual animals (just like humans again) I have owned horses I wouldn't trade for any mule and both good or bad mules too. My little mule in the photo is a sweet heart. Her mother was a large Morgan mare and she is gaited like a great walking horse. She is as smooth as glass at 12 mph.

Nothing works without maintenance but more importantly knowledge. Some city dweller that doesn't know what a set of slip joint pliers are or can carry his tool box in one hand has little chance. They are accustomed to having everything delivered to them by someone else. Country people generally have to learn skills to get by every day that translate very easily to any survival situation. In many ways, our society is upside down by seemingly putting more value on a nerd narrowly focused collage professor (or teacher) than the farmer that makes our food. We have developed that attitude since the world wars to the detriment of our prospects of long term survival. The basics required for life have to be the foundation any long term society is built on. The Romans learned that as well as many other civilizations. As I always proclaim in discussions like this.......City people are going to be toast. The rest of us will do what is nessisary to survive.

There is a bit of electronics; the heater grid in the intake is controlled by a relay and timer, but the engine will start without it - even when it is below freezing, and you can replace the relay/timer with a switch. There is also the charging system, but as you point out, if you can roll start the truck then the engine should start - but there is also the fuel shutoff electrics - but that can be replaced with a cable.

Good luck pushing my 5 ton flatbed unless you have another truck running.:D
City people used to wonder why so many farms had medium size trucks parked away from the house on hillsides.........it was because they could be bump started by rolling down the hill in the spring. Pretty simple use of the assets they had available.

I just installed a 4.0 AMC fuel injected engine in my 1975 IHC Scout in place of the original AMC 258 it came with. We picked up a ton of power and much better fuel economy. It is in line at the body shop to get new fenders, and paint. The only other issue we have is instead of adapting the original 4 speed trans and dealing with the electronics the engine required from it, we used the original overdrive 5 speed that came with the engine in 2006.....now my 3.73 gears are entirely too high and it has to go in for a 4.10 transplant in the differentials. I love IHC's and would have preferred a good IHC V8 but this should be a good option on the truck. Modern fuel management is magic in the way it produces power while conserving fuel. I think a rig like Andy's is perfect. I bought a similar truck for my daughter from the state of Oregon that she will never let loose of. 5.3 V8 4x4 extended cab with a nice shell. 20 MPG, smooth and safe. Parts available anywhere, torsion bars ride great and stops like a car.

One of my Montana uncles (all Mom's side of the family lived there) had a Scout in the early 70's. It was the bomb especially compared to what was available then. Wish IHC was still around. I love the function over form engineering and design.

In a true SHTF, people will be forming tribes and commandeering vehicles. For a while at least, until gasoline, oil, and tires will run out within a few months.. The original 4x4 vehicle is the horse, @Argonaut is correct. Those will be worth gold. But the best transportation will be your feet. Armies have been marching long distances and foraging for thousands of years. Being physically fit is probably your best option for mobility, long-term.

There is a bit of electronics; the heater grid in the intake is controlled by a relay and timer, but the engine will start without it - even when it is below freezing, and you can replace the relay/timer with a switch. There is also the charging system, but as you point out, if you can roll start the truck then the engine should start - but there is also the fuel shutoff electrics - but that can be replaced with a cable.

Good luck pushing my 5 ton flatbed unless you have another truck running.:D
ha ha! better live at the top of a hill if you wanna go without a battery!

not many rigs out there like the 12v cummins

my friend changes his oil... guess where the waste oil goes? guess where the waste trans fluid goes? yep, fuel tank

ha ha! better live at the top of a hill if you wanna go without a battery!

not many rigs out there like the 12v cummins

my friend changes his oil... guess where the waste oil goes? guess where the waste trans fluid goes? yep, fuel tank

My Dad didn't need a hill - he had five sons to push it till it started.

What are your thoughts on a good vehicle? Im new to thinking about this so this is what seems like the priorities would be: (not necessarily in the order of priority)

1. Reliability
2. Inconspicuous
3. Fuel Efficient
4. Storage (first aid, chain saw, tools etc)
5. Ability to move all members of the family

Not a priority
1. Camo paint
2. Winch
3. 4x4 (how often are you in 4x4 really?)
4. AC
5. Zombie response stickers

Given this premise, it seems like a good inexpensive vehicle for SHTF would be a common minivan.

Thoughts??

I think this is a good discussion and am glad that you brought this up. I'm also intrigued that you're not falling in suit with the fantasy some fall prey to such as believing 4 wheel drive, camo paint, and winches are necessities. I believe this fantasy has been fueled by advertising and Hollywood; don't we all need a 4x4 explorer to survive running away from a T. rex? I submit that any reliable 2wd vehicle will work fine. My Prius seems to take me and my family up and down highways and gravel roads just fine for crying out loud. It's got 167k on it, nothing has broken, and I load that sucker down like a work truck regularly. It also can travel 40-50 miles per gallon of gas. What good is a super duper jeep if it's stranded because it ran out of fuel?

More importantly, if the road becomes blocked or a vehicle breaks down the best vehicle are your legs. Any one that is at least some what serious about shtf should be exercising on a regular basis and have the ability to carry at least 60lbs of gear for long distances without injury. If you're disabled then it would be wise to find someone that can help take care of you and to also stock pile supplies.

0F3E50AE-1C31-4174-BE58-06EFB9FAF4A2.jpeg
One of my Montana uncles (all Mom's side of the family lived there) had a Scout in the early 70's. It was the bomb especially compared to what was available then. Wish IHC was still around. I love the function over form engineering and design.
IHC is the largest manufacturer of trucks in the world........just nothing smaller than a 1 1/2 ton. I have always loved there products. Everything is rebuildable, Parts are high quality and available. Every vehicle is custom built for the purpose they are intended for whether it be a farm, utility or highway vehicle. Again they require knowledge, the person that tries to commonly use a low geared farm vehicle on the highway will not be happy with it. My 68 3/4 ton was built as a hunting vehicle. 345 V8, 5 speed overdrive trans, positraction on all 4 corners and 4.10 gears, PS, PB, Factory installed winch and heavy bumpers. (Winch has been converted to a modern electric from the orignal PTO) factory heavy duty dual batteries and 100 amp alternator, carries nearly 50 gallons of fuel with internal tanks.

Last Edited:
I saw the "zombie sticker" reference in the OP, but Biohazard Transport stickers on a van could buy you a little time and distance, especially if you painted a bloody hand print on the sliding door.

I mean, would you want to stop this to see what you could take from the driver?
th?id=OIP.jpg

Seems there would be around five SHTF situations.

1. B/O Now as in there is a full invasion, ML, ETC
  2. B/O natural disaster, may not require moving at all or may require relocating with items destroyed.
  3. B/O real your at work, the store DR, you can't go home what is with you.
  4. B/O By far the most complicated is relocate, as it requires at times others are coordinated and able to travel.
  5. B/O You've gone hunting for the weekend when all SHTF and you are stuck where you are.

There are literally thousands of options, top needed to stay alive five would be.

1. Water ( you can only go a few days without it ) get a couple portable purifiers have one at all times.
  2. Shelter, keeps body resources at a low minimum when food is low.
  3. Protection, why some may not agree if 1 and 2 are an issue preserving what little you have may be life or death.
  4. Food, why one can go along time without food, cognitive thinking degrades within just 24hours.
  5. Help, going alone drops survival chances in 1/2, yes more resources are consumed but gathering needed items, delegating, and making choices will be easier with a trusted team, or even 2.
I am sure many wont agree but this is how we have listed what we take and when and try and have resources to get by in these areas that should give us a good chance at survival regardless of what SHTF is.

Mode of transportation varies as horse if we can get to 10 miles away would work well. So mode of transport is not high on the list.

I saw the "zombie sticker" reference in the OP, but Biohazard Transport stickers on a van could buy you a little time and distance, especially if you painted a bloody hand print on the sliding door.

I mean, would you want to stop this to see what you could take from the driver?
View attachment 468801
Sort of like a truck carrying bee hives.......they don't even have to stop at the scales and you couldn't pay to get an inspector near them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top