JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All our vehicals are 4 wheel drive. You wont make our hill or driveway with a 2wd in the winter months. My 06 Rubicon will go through some nasty stuff but my 04 Dodge Cummings H.O. 4x4 with posi and around a 600 mile range with the ability to haul my goods would be my first choice. 600 ft/lbs of torque at 1600 rpm.

IMG_2389.JPG
P1000651.JPG

Sort of like a truck carrying bee hives.......they don't even have to stop at the scales and you couldn't pay to get an inspector near them.

Exactly, though come SHTF I'd want the bees and the hives. Though I'm not going to be looting anyone. I will be in parts rural of a free state in the next few years making connections with my neighbors and other locals. "That new guy might be a dumb @$$ city boy, but he sure is willing to lend me a hand..."

All our vehicals are 4 wheel drive. You wont make our hill or driveway with a 2wd in the winter months. My 06 Rubicon will go through some nasty stuff but my 04 Dodge Cummings H.O. 4x4 with posi and around a 600 mile range with the ability to haul my goods would be my first choice. 600 ft/lbs of torque at 1600 rpm.

View attachment 468803
View attachment 468805

Now that's a truck!! I love mine!:)

Exactly, though come SHTF I'd want the bees and the hives. Though I'm not going to be looting anyone. I will be in parts rural of a free state in the next few years making connections with my neighbors and other locals. "That new guy might be a dumb @$$ city boy, but he sure is willing to lend me a hand..."
Attitude is probably the best predictor of who will be successful and who will not in any endeavor. Someone willing to learn and pitch in encourages everyone around them and elevates the entire group. Even if they don't have knowledge but are eager and willing to learn people will help.

Seems there would be around five SHTF situations.

1. B/O Now as in there is a full invasion, ML, ETC
  2. B/O natural disaster, may not require moving at all or may require relocating with items destroyed.
  3. B/O real your at work, the store DR, you can't go home what is with you.
  4. B/O By far the most complicated is relocate, as it requires at times others are coordinated and able to travel.
  5. B/O You've gone hunting for the weekend when all SHTF and you are stuck where you are.

There are literally thousands of options, top needed to stay alive five would be.

1. Water ( you can only go a few days without it ) get a couple portable purifiers have one at all times.
  2. Shelter, keeps body resources at a low minimum when food is low.
  3. Protection, why some may not agree if 1 and 2 are an issue preserving what little you have may be life or death.
  4. Food, why one can go along time without food, cognitive thinking degrades within just 24hours.
  5. Help, going alone drops survival chances in 1/2, yes more resources are consumed but gathering needed items, delegating, and making choices will be easier with a trusted team, or even 2.
I am sure many wont agree but this is how we have listed what we take and when and try and have resources to get by in these areas that should give us a good chance at survival regardless of what SHTF is.

Mode of transportation varies as horse if we can get to 10 miles away would work well. So mode of transport is not high on the list.

Section 2 in that list is exactly why you want to bug in and not out. Bugging out like you say is always a potential because there is no area that can't experience some sort of disaster, but you should have some sort of plan as to where and you should test getting there on the back roads in various scenarios.

Don't think you can live off the land in the forest (rhetorical question - I know you know this). You need a place where there are others who will both expect and welcome you. Consider helping to stock them up in advance with food, meds, arms, ammo, etc. and have a communication plan. You also have to have a plan to pull your own weight when you get there. Have at least one skill they will need from medical to water treatment to food production.

If me and Mrs 3M bug out it will be a two truck convoy and we will communicate using old Motorola IDEN phones that both encrypt and frequency hop. Likely after the next few years we will be the Bug Out destination for others we know will mutually benefit each other. Also for a few others who are relatives that would never consider needing to bug out that I'm already preparing for anyway, because they will show up on my doorstep during SHTF.

I think a great recient illustration of this was the difference between how the New Orlean's Katrina victims responded and the Texas victims of Harvey reacted. The Texans loaded there boats and whatever equipment they had and went to the scene of worst devastation to help (and the government let them) the New Orleans people went to the Superdome in filth and few resources while the thugs looted the city. The Texas Sheriffs and Governor said looters will be shot. Texas is recovering well in a year, while New Orleans still has uninhabitable neighborhoods over 12 years later.

If me and Mrs 3M bug out it will be a two truck convoy and we will communicate using old Motorola IDEN phones that both encrypt and frequency hop.

Same here with the exception that the Irish Chick would be in her H3 pulling a custom built prep trailer with me in the lead in the dually.

Likely after the next few years we will be the Bug Out destination for others we know will mutually benefit each other.

We are the BOL for a select few that bring strong skillsets to the table. They all have pre positioned supplies here to ease their bug out journey.

Also for a few others who are relatives that would never consider needing to bug out that I'm already preparing for anyway, because they will show up on my doorstep during SHTF.

This is where we differ. For those types you mentioned, they will find that the door to the ark has been sealed should they show up here.

Same here with the exception that the Irish Chick would be in her H3 pulling a custom built prep trailer with me in the lead in the dually.

We are the BOL for a select few that bring strong skillsets to the table. They all have pre positioned supplies here to ease their bug out journey.

This is where we differ. For those types you mentioned, they will find that the door to the ark has been sealed should they show up here.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this. On the last point those relatives are people who can and will make a definite contribution, but just haven't taken the red pill yet. A relative who shows up on my doorstep that can't or won't will be given a few supplies and sent packing once they have established that they are a drain and hence danger to the survival of everyone else.

My fear is that my wife and I are on an island here, with no other family or friends to rely on and/or return the favor, except having each other. We haven't lived here long enough to establish good relationships with like minded people.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this. On the last point those relatives are people who can and will make a definite contribution, but just haven't taken the red pill yet. A relative who shows up on my doorstep that can't or won't will be given a few supplies and sent packing once they have established that they are a drain and hence danger to the survival of everyone else.

What do you call non useful people during the apocolypse?

Food....

Also, some good accessories for your bug out vehicle (which might conditionally be any one you are driving):
A pair of really comfortable hiking boots with extra socks and liners
A pack sized for the number of days it might take for you to get home filled with the 10 essentials
The tools you need to perform basic repairs
A bicycle or two
A gas can and siphon kit
A pump or something else to inflate a tire
Jumper cables
off road/trail jack
tow straps
First aid kit
Secondary communication device

Have you checked your spare tire in the last year? How's the rubber? How's the pressure?
How about the factory jack stand? Do you have all the parts you need to change that tire you just shredded?

Just like guns the vehicle is just the starting point.

Friends don't let friends drive fords
I have an extra Cummins 1 ton 4x4 if you're really to the point of having to drive a Ford Bro..
Dude, I got 3 DODGE Cummins diesels, the 42 and 46 have the BT-3.9T industrials, and a 92 1 ton 5 speed BT-6T no glo- plug with the 24 Valve head and the X3135 Turbo!
All I was saying is the only Diesel Van worth a Crap is the older Ford 7.3 Diesel!

I sold my 2 F-350 quad cabs! Proof of "Built Ford Tough" that pair was!:)

View attachment 468707 View attachment 468708 View attachment 468706 View attachment 468705 I recommend a mid 1990's Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 in line 6 cylinder engine. It is considered bulletproof in the sense of reliable engines. It should be 4WD, Auto transmission, 4 door and as stock as possible. You may go with some oversize tires, but not to the point where you need a lift on it. A decent roof rack will allow you some additional storage, but keep the overall cargo weight, heavy bumpers and winches to a minimum, as it will affect fuel mileage overall. This will not be a hot pursuit high speed vehicle, but will give you a bit of torque and maneuverability if necessary. It makes for a nice mid sized vehicle with many available custom accessories if you wish. I am 6' 2" tall and hover around 300 lbs, and have driven my Jeep Cherokee almost daily since i bought it used in 2010. Its not super comfy for my size, but not horrible. It has turned out to be a fantastic vehicle. It has around 220,000 miles on it. I picked it up at a State Surplus auction for $1500. I think I may have put that amount into it for wear and tear since buying it. Easy to work on with parts a plenty around. Rear seats fold down for larger cargo space. It is one tough vehicle. Fuel mileage is reasonable. A tow package can handle towing a smaller trailer or boat if needed. Here are some examples i found online:

The one setting out in the driveway looks just like your 2nd picture. Bought it from a neighbor for 300.00 with a blown head gasket. Completely rebuilt the engine. Runs great and sips fuel.

My fear is that my wife and I are on an island here, with no other family or friends to rely on and/or return the favor, except having each other. We haven't lived here long enough to establish good relationships with like minded people.
There are many good people (even in western Oregon) that won't care if they know you or not.......when people are in need, they will come to you assistance, just like you would. As much time we spend bemoaning the gutter people in our world, there are still more good honest hard working people that will go to extremes helping someone in need. When I saw the photos of Texans lined up with boats on trailers and high mobility vehicles moving towards the flood ravaged areas it made me extremely proud and when the government got out of there way and allowed it, that was incredible. If I wasn't so content in Idaho, that is a place I could live. Government has no power compared with the average American. Even the military has never won a war without calling on the typical American working person to arms. That is our strength as a country and society.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top