JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's hot. Ya on here bruh? (Subaru forum slang)

Not mine, just a screen grab.
Keep thinking about doing my '16 Outback, but if I'm going to build up something, it's going to have a transfer case.
Like @Joe Link I had a '96 FJ80 LandCruiser. 6" Old Man Emu lift, armor everywhere, ARB lockers front and rear. Did Rubicon twice, Moab, lots of other lesser-known stuff. Was an awesome trail rig, would make a ridiculously capable bug-out truck.

I used to have a 73 Jeep Wagoneer with a 500 inch caddy motor, that thing was as tough as it came, and with the 700R4 trans and 3.73 gears on 33" BF-Goodrich mud tires, I for 17 miles per gallon! That thing was a beast! I also had a Land rover Discovery series 2, great rig, little tight in the seats, but with the 4.0L engine, and mud tires, it got 26 miles per gallon! That rig was mean as hell off road, you could go any where as long as the tires could find traction or the winch could reach! I would have no problem with an older series1 Disco, especially with the Mercedes Benz 300 turbo diesel conversion, 30 mpg and even better off road performance! If I could afford a G-3wagon, that would also be a awesome rig!

Handy with welder and fab stuff, do something similar to these 95-2002 Kia Sportage 4x4s, lightweight, uses same fe engine as mazda cars/suvs, body on frame construction, means better tow capability, more sturdy construction, relatively.
Old land Rovers, toyota landcruisers, old jeeps of any model up to the 2000s, suzuki samurai/geo tracker/chevy tracker, perhaps?

I have a 2wd Sportage, but it is not difficult to change to a 4wd (or trade for), and it has worked okay on prepared surfaces like forest service roads and gravel, but it can benefit from a 4wd setup eventually. 5 speed and 4 cyl, got me 25mpg average with 2wd.

Before the cars, I ran a MTN bike outfitted w MOLLE panniers and canteen covers, it works after a fashion.. sure speed and cargo capacity went WAY down vs motor vehicle, but mobility and access went up, tho not as mobile as backpacking/trail walking....

DSCF0662.jpg p1160857.jpg TanPaintKia_zps1b94bde2.gif p1160080.jpg 10258836_785844264772795_2494598898544337582_o.jpg 3337eaf92427122ebbd25b8bb3fc0407---a-retro-cars.jpg

Of course, going military tactical could work but paints a huge target on you, as "someone who has good bubblegum to loot" ... some other ideas shown though.
Rokon 2wd motorcycle, slow as hell, but goes like mtn goat, can carry stuff
Standard dirt bikes, lots gear accessories for them, lots parts, easy find parts.... good trail performance... high speeds when exfil.
4x4 atvs, decent gear carriage, better stability, uses similar enginea, little more specific parts for suspensions and such, plenty of accessories

Military style vehicles....
Proven tough, plenty of places to stash gear, may be slower, worse mileage, parts dependent on model (jeeps, easy, hummer, maybe, trucks, easy)
Easier to "armor up" by way of armor kits available, or just toss personnel armor panels on seats and door panels if needed in addition to your personal armor 030916-head-shake-doubt-usmc-klr650-567x389.jpg moskva-motocikl_2x2_Rokon_Trail-Breaker_MTE_FOR_U__S__Army_233.jpeg motorcycle72lo5.jpg cct.jpg 27b6de5aa092f0d6310544d44d5f8268--military-special-forces-sf.jpg ford_mutt_m151_a2_lackierung_merdc_.jpg tumblr_mutx52Op591s6w8l6o1_1280.jpg Hendrick+Military+Jeep.jpg MercedesGD290NorwayPitarch (1).JPG 8ab9aa66a1b04396358a899b25088f1d.jpg

I had a LMTV 4X4 with full winter top, sold it with the company, really liked it, wouldn' mind a 6X6 this time, especially if I can get it with the full top! Bonus would be the 2 axle matching trailer! That Cat diesel can take some upgrading too!:)

Years ago I got to briefly drive a P4 airport crash truck. Edwards Air Force Base. Around 1976. Had either a Cummins or Cat engine. Six speed power shift auto tranny. Max speed so I was told about 70.

I wondered then and am re wondering now how an old surplus P4 Crash truck would convert into that ultimate expedition type motor home. Remove the fire pump and tank and make a RV out of it.

6X6. Huge tires. If everything were gutted inside there would be lots of room for motor home stuff. I imagine it would be expensive to run. But would go practically anywhere. Bikini girl crew mandatory. :)

Years ago I got to briefly drive a P4 airport crash truck. Edwards Air Force Base. Around 1976. Had either a Cummins or Cat engine. Six speed power shift auto tranny. Max speed so I was told about 70.

I wondered then and am re wondering now how an old surplus P4 Crash truck would convert into that ultimate expedition type motor home. Remove the fire pump and tank and make a RV out of it.

6X6. Huge tires. If everything were gutted inside there would be lots of room for motor home stuff. I imagine it would be expensive to run. But would go practically anywhere. Bikini girl crew mandatory. :)
It has been done. I saw a program on it. They changed the differential ratios so it didn't wind so tight at highway speeds but gutted the tanks and pumps to install a liveable interior.

31DCCAA9-31FA-43E1-99F0-7DD34A9CB18E.gif
Wouldnt it be easy enough on a pre-70's truck to emp proof ?
I don't believe so. The military bought thousands of 1986 Chev diesel vehicles of various designs with minor adaptations to military specs just because they were the last production EMP proof engines being built. I owned and drove them for decades. They were 6.2 diesels (like the Hummer's) with heavy suspensions and 24V electrical systems. They still have many of them in ready reserve. There are several for sale in the government sale this Wednesday.

Last Edited:
I don't believe so. The military bought thousands of 1986 Chev diesel vehicles of various designs with minor adaptations to military specs just because they were the last production EMP proof engines being built. I owned and drove them for decades. They were 6.2 diesels (like the Hummer's) with heavy suspensions and 24V electrical systems. They still have many of them in ready reserve.

I have a 67 F250 which is a backup truck we have always wondered how emp proof it was. Not just from the heavy steel but lack of not many electronics that if fried could be replaced fairly easily but I never looked past it that far.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top