JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know it will create a ridge inside the cut. Easily enough, filed away.
Would you cut a shotgun barrel with a pipe cutter?

Pipe_Cutter_72dpi.jpg

I have a metal chop saw, hack saw, and a pipe cutter as shown. I figured to use the pipe cutter for the sake of a straight line cut, then a round file or reamer inside to clean it up.

I would take it real easy and crank the handle in real slow, You can swage the material down quite a bit reducing the ID of the bore significantly. If you do it in very small steps it would minimize it.

Tried this on a H&R a while back. The metal was too hard. Ended up using an end mill to cut the barrel. Perfectly straight that way.

I would take it real easy and crank the handle in real slow, You can swage the material down quite a bit reducing the ID of the bore significantly. If you do it in very small steps it would minimize it.
Yeah. I've used the pipe cutters for years. The hardness of the barrel, definitely defines a slow process. Tighten enough to grab hold, square, then a couple revolutions around the barrel. Add 1/4-1/2 turn to cutter, twice around again. Continue until cut.

All ahead "slow" Matey! ;)

Nah man, I appreciate the awareness shared. It's not plumbing, or electrical conduit.
I could picture someone cranking it too much. Not good!

I worked with a big swede that would piss off the welders by making the pipe square cranky my it down to get it done faster.:D
I usually use my little grinder. You can file the inside but the ridge will go away pretty fast thru firing;). I'm guessing you're not doing this for accuracy o_O

I have a metal chop saw, hack saw, and a pipe cutter as shown. I figured to use the pipe cutter for the sake of a straight line cut, then a round file or reamer inside to clean it up.
For a better finish, I use ether a ball hone for break wheel cylinders or a regular two blade hone. Just use a few drops of trany fluid and flush with solvent of your choice!

When I whacked off the end of my Winchester 97 barrel I used a new tubing cutter to lightly score the barrel for marking purposes only.
Then I used a fine tooth hack saw an 1/8" above the line and then finished the rough cut with a new bastard file right down to the line.
I then used one of those stepped uni bits to lightly chamfer the bore and used the same uni bit with some 400 grit emory cloth to finish it.

win pump 12 001.JPG

Nicely done!!!
I've always thought about making a SD gun out of my old 870 but cutting the barrel I wonder where to start measuring, is it where the end of the shell meets the actual barrel (the chamber) or, your thoughts?:confused:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top