JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title says it all. If you were to put a red dot on a shotgun or if you have already, what would you/did you put on it and why? I'd assume LOW mount height would be necessary. And also something relatively small but rated to withstand 12ga

I see upsides and downsides.

Downsides would be added weight, higher aim configuration, possibly need to adjust your stocks cheek weld

Upsides would be having an illuminated aiming point at night, and a way to dial in your non-birdshot loads to a certain distance rather than relying on the front bead only.

I have only a little bit of experience with red dots, and none with red dots on shotguns - but I've heard of a Trijicon RMR being a popular choice for those who choose to slap a dot onto a shotgun.

I was thinking something like that too on a zero rise mount
If I recall right the ring is supposed to represent buckshot spread at 25 yards.

They hold up to the recoil just fine.

Shake awake and solar options are a huge plus.

For hunting or defense?

If you're using bird shot and assuming upland birds, would you really need a red dot? Gun fitting would be more important, IMO. Trying to see thru a red dot scope you're going to lose time getting on target. Waterfowl and turkey I can see the benefit of using a red dot.

For hunting or defense?

If you're using bird shot and assuming upland birds, would you really need a red dot? Gun fitting would be more important, IMO. Trying to see thru a red dot scope you're going to lose time getting on target. Waterfowl and turkey I can see the benefit of using a red dot.
Strictly home defense. My bird gun hasn't been used in years but it has a front bead only

No no no, when the reflex sight gets water on the lens… no diode reflection. Kaput until you wipe it off. Rainex no help. Back then I was mainly sniping waterfowl with a shotgun… I learned to lead birds and quit eyeballing any sight system, and my percentages dramatically improved. Since then I have quit hunting waterfowl and only hunt pheasant with a SxS 20ga.

No no no, when the reflex sight gets water on the lens… no diode reflection. Kaput until you wipe it off. Rainex no help. Back then I was mainly sniping waterfowl with a shotgun… I learned to lead birds and quit eyeballing any sight system, and my percentages dramatically improved. Since then I have quit hunting waterfowl and only hunt pheasant with a SxS 20ga.
Ok I know what you mean now. Yeah my rmr did that on my fnx45 every time it got a little tiny splash of rain it would be useless. I guess I need an enclosed red dot if I plan on training outside. Inside use at home not such a big deal

I have a burris fastfire III reflex on one of mine (870). It's mounted with a speedbead which keeps it very low profile. It's held up under years of use so far.

uiBennie.jpeg
Trijicon RMR on Scalarworks
Trijicon MRO HD (Dot with Ring) on Low mount... I might get a taller mount for this one... for a "heads up hold."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top