JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How will the price of gas at the pump effect your SHTF plans?

• It won't - I'm probably staying in place

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • A little, but I don't have too far to travel

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • It'll put a good-sized dent in my plans

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I'm screwed if we hit $10 per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Burrrrrrp* uhhhhh... What were we talkin' about again?

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
Not to sure how the prices will affect me if i take a sailboat and wait out the craziness or go to south america, a lengthly reality. I am in FL now, near plenty of sailboats. Ten minute walk. Put my gear in a shopping cart, dump it in a stolen boat, and sayanara! :)

Just how dependent are you on gas / diesel for your SHTF plans? At the first sign of trouble are you planning on filling up some cans? If so, how is the price of fuel going to affect your situation?
I filled the 37 gal tank on my diesel truck last summer. I have put 8 miles on it since then. I bought a 106 gal transfer tank for it a little while ago. When the prices come back down I will fill that tank too.

I have a 55 gal drum full of premium gas with Pri-G stabilizer in it. I have a few 5 gal safety cans for gas, one is fullish. I use those for equipment. I have no plans right now to fill them up - I can wait. I keep my daily driver tank at least half full, so that I have enough in it for emergencies/etc., and I drive into town once or twice a month for groceries/errands.

The cost of fuel is not an issue for SHTF - it is a slight issue for my monthly living expenses because I live in the boonies, so my trips into town will cost me $10 per trip (if gas is $5 per gal) instead of half that, and I have a fixed income (Social Security). But a lot of other things will probably cost more too because most everything involved transport of some kind.

If an extra $20 to fill up your tank is making you rethink your SHTF plans, maybe you need to take Personal Finance 101 at the local CC.
It's not just the $20 I have to pay, it's the $20 each person/company has to pay every step of the way to get the goods to me.

I'm surprised to see panhandlers still at fwy exits. Like, have you not heard?

100 LL at KSEA (Salem, McNary field) $5.95 per gallon! Yea, I'm glad I tanked up, but Damn if I wanted to fly anywhere!
It is kind of like the cost of ammo - I would have/want to replace any I shot up - at much higher prices than I paid. So I don't.

Same with driving into town.

But avgas has always been more expensive. My dad would get mad at us for using his avgas for the lawn mower.

Since the gas prices are going higher expect criminals to start stealing gas again. I was watch the Angry Prepper who lives in NYC and he was talking about this that happened in Atlanta, GA.

Last Edited:
Good feedback r.e. fuel vs gas. I tried to change the title of the thread and poll, but was not able to.

To clarify, this question was not a reflection of my personal situation, just a random thought I had. I'm fortunate in that I could swipe my card and pay $10 per gallon to fill up if I had to - it would suck, but it wouldn't affect my SHTF plans at all.

However, a lot of people do live paycheck to paycheck, and some people's plan involves running down to the gas station after something happens and filling up as many gas cans as they can. If they have an emergency fund and are well-stocked on everything else, the impact of gas prices on their situation might be minimal. But if their plan includes running to Costco and loading up on other supplies in the early stages of the crisis, the cost of gas will eat into their available cash. This obviously isn't applicable to everyone, but people who live in urban or suburban areas, have limited storage space for supplies, or limited spare capital with which to prep in advance could be more adversely affected.

As for whether pumps would be running or not in SHTF, outside of an EMP or widespread power outages I would assume the biggest issue would be gas stations running out of fuel reserves as people rush in to buy at the last minute, and/or impact to supply chain that would either delay or prevent stations from refilling their storage tanks.

However, a lot of people do live paycheck to paycheck, and some people's plan involves running down to the gas station after something happens and filling up as many gas cans as they can.
Not mine, but I am regretting not filling up the jerry cans I bought a while back. They and my transfer tank site empty in my shop waiting until diesel prices come back down to reasonable levels.

I went to visit my son at college last weekend. Gas $ to get up there and back, took him to a local mexican place for lunch, and a cup of coffee made it just too expensive to enjoy on a monthly basis. This will become a zoom call or just simple texting more often.

I find it amusing you're talking about gas still pumping during a SHTF scenario.
To be fair with the cost of living going the way it is, and no raises in two years, I'm almost in my own personal SHTF scenario. If their is gas in the ground and you can't afford to pump it….

It's not just the $20 I have to pay, it's the $20 each person/company has to pay every step of the way to get the goods to me.

I'm surprised to see panhandlers still at fwy exits. Like, have you not heard?
In normal times that would apply. However we already had a demand outstripping supply for transport capacity prior to gas prices rising.

The costs to ship a load of cargo via air, truck, sea or train were already many multiples higher simply because we didn't have enough capacity at each step of the supply chain to handle demand. The cost of fuel made up almost none of that price increase.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top