JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:D even if you have as much fuel as the rig can carry, where are you going to go? What will you do when you get there?
Mostly, it depends on the SHTF scenario, but my daily driver would be used for infrequent supply runs - if possible, and emergencies (e.g., medical care).

Some of the fuel will be used in gensets occasionally. Some for tools, such as chainsaws (to gather/process firewood).

"Dieseling" or run-on went the way of the carburetor. With EFI when you turn the key off the fuel stops. Run-on happened when combustion chamber temps were hot enough that the additional heat of compression would ignite the fuel/air mixture. With a carburetor the motor could draw more air/fuel into the motor and "diesel" again. This went on until combustion chamber temps got low enough to not compression-ignite the mixture.
Diesel in the gas tank is a minor issue. Drain the tank and fill it with gas. Bypass the fuel pump relay so the pump will run continuously without the motor running for about five minutes to flush the system. Reinstall the relay and drive the car. That small amount of diesel in the fuel isn't going to hurt anything.

Diesel won't hurt a gas rig. Some will even tolerate it, especially if the diesel was just a top off instead of a fill up. It's not the end of the world as we know it.

Also, if you're paying attention, you should be able to see and smell the difference as it's going into your tank. Unless of course you didn't go to a self serve station

Mostly, it depends on the SHTF scenario, but my daily driver would be used for infrequent supply runs - if possible, and emergencies (e.g., medical care).

Some of the fuel will be used in gensets occasionally. Some for tools, such as chainsaws (to gather/process firewood).
What do you need a chainsaw for?? You ain't got no neighbors with decks, sheds or a fenceline?? 🤣

In a SHTF scenario... fuel is precious.

Last Edited:
This is another great example of the net and what happens when people ask what should be a simple question. After all the back and forth here I just typed into a search what happens if you accidentally put diesel in a gas engine. Right away some sites said nothing will happen other than the car will not run. Others said it would do severe damage to the engine. As much as this must happen with people doing it at a station you would think it would not be hard to get a clear answer. Not so it seems. :s0092:

This is another great example of the net and what happens when people ask what should be a simple question. After all the back and forth here I just typed into a search what happens if you accidentally put diesel in a gas engine. Right away some sites said nothing will happen other than the car will not run. Others said it would do severe damage to the engine. As much as this must happen with people doing it at a station you would think it would not be hard to get a clear answer. Not so it seems. :s0092:
Because the 'net is full of asshats who haven't experienced a damn thing yet still want to get on their pedestal and show everyone their advanced degree from the school of "hard knocks" :D

Because the 'net is full of asshats who haven't experienced a damn thing yet still want to get on their pedestal and show everyone their advanced degree from the school of "hard knocks" :D
A long time back before EFI there was a station where I lived that sold gas that was 5% Diesel. Owner was in the news one day about it. He said he had seen a customer pumping some into his car. When he asked the guy told him a little made the old car run better. So he started experimenting. I tried some on an old car and damned if the thing did not get an noticeable increase in MPG. Station was there for many years. Don't know if it went away after EFI began to take over or not.

What do you need a chainsaw for?? You ain't got no neighbors with decks, sheds or a fenceline?? 🤣

In a SHTF scenario... fuel is precious.
I have 5-6 acres of trees, some of which are maple/alder/oak/etc. hardwoods and some skinny conifers I could use for firewood (and they can/will coppice too). I also have of logs that can be cut up and split into maybe 4-5 cords of firewood. Every year at least one or two trees fall, along with multiple "widow make" limbs. Some of the trees that fall, sometimes fall across the road, so those often need to be cut to clear the road.

No fences no. Any of that kind of scrap lumber from a deck (including my own) would need to be cutup to fit into the woodstove - even if I was willing to do that - which I am not (for one thing, there is not enough of that wood to use, compared to the trees I have available).

FWIW - I usually heat my house, for at least part of the winter, with my woodstove

Last Edited:
I've run into poorly maintained tanks with water in them and it caused issues with gas vehicles. Most diesels have at least a rudimentary water separator on them that needs to be drained periodically.

I have a 106 gallon aux tank with 75 gallons of diesel in it - plus the tank (36 gal) on my truck is mostly full. Until Monday I also had two 5 gallon cans full, but refilled neighbors tractor after borrowing it to mow my woods/meadow. I used about 5 gallons in 5 hours, but I topped off his tank even though it was only half full when I started.

I also have a 250+ gallon storage tank sitting in the shop - empty until I sell the property and move it to where it will be permanently, then I will fill it.

I also have a 55 gal drum of gasoline, about 75% full - I need to top it off.

I put Pri-G & Pri-D in my fuel and I have had no problems with it, most of my gasoline is several years old. I get it at Costco which has a high turnover rate - always a good sized line there.
If SHTF Can I come to your house LOL I will use the normal crow call before I enter the perimeter CaCaaaaaa. CaCaaaaa….

I have 5-6 acres of trees, some of which are maple/alder/oak/etc. hardwoods and some skinny conifers I could use for firewood (and they can/will coppice too). I also have of logs that can be cut up and split into maybe 4-5 cords of firewood. Every year at least one or two trees fall, along with multiple "widow make" limbs. Some of the trees that fall, sometimes fall across the road, so those often need to be cut to clear the road.

No fences no. Any of that kind of scrap lumber from a deck (including my own) would need to be cutup to fit into the woodstove - even if I was willing to do that - which I am not (for one thing, there is not enough of that wood to use, compared to the trees I have available).

FWIW - I usually heat my house, for at least part of the winter, with my woodstove
My comment was simply... not being able to resist the temptation to be insolent. I consider my chainsaw as critical SHTF gear, too. ;) 👍

This is coming our way as the commies continue to take over Oregon
Re. the video. Those tribal rangers from Pyramid Lake aren't constrained by PC and other limitations such as city cops are; they are "sovereign nation," they don't have to take any guff.

I've been out to Gerlach, Nev. before, not during Burning Man. But that's a long, lonely stretch of road. A lot of it is inside the reservation, but there is a little notch north of Nixon that jogs into BLM land, a nice place to get out the M1 Rifle with miles of impact area beyond. I won't shoot on reservation land, I don't want to wind up in the clink of a "sovereign nation."

I'm wondering how many times this happens at fuel stations, and is never reported.
Lots of times, because the dynamic usually is you're miles away before contamination gets up into the fuel system and does it's damage. And even then, you may not figure out right away the reason for the failure.

I've run into poorly maintained tanks with water in them and it caused issues with gas vehicles.
Yes, and older tanks that have dirt and other contaminants in them. This is particularly an issue if you happen to fill up during or just after a fuel drop from a tanker, which tends to stir up contaminants on the bottom of the tank. This was more of a problem in the past, as modern pumps have filters. But as I understand it, the filters are not all that big and while they do screen out the big stuff, smaller sediment is able to get through.

Volume of fuel dispensed at a given gas station may have something to do with it. Meaning, the more fuel they sell, the wider the amount of fuel that contaminants get spread around in. Also, gas station tank inspections are more frequent due to environmental concerns, so "old" tanks are not as common. You've all probably gone by gas stations where a tank was being replaced, seen the test wells in the pavement, etc.

But what I've mentioned in the two paragraphs above has nothing to do with human error, which was the deal under discussion in Florida.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top