JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How will the price of gas at the pump effect your SHTF plans?

• It won't - I'm probably staying in place

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • A little, but I don't have too far to travel

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • It'll put a good-sized dent in my plans

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I'm screwed if we hit $10 per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Burrrrrrp* uhhhhh... What were we talkin' about again?

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
Eating out sucks these days. My wife and I went out for Valentine's Day dinner at a strip mall Mexican joint here in town. For two meals and two "on sale" margaritas it totaled $60 with tip. The food is fine but not worth $60 imho.
Wife and I eat out less now due to that. She likes to go. Last many times it was like you, about $60 for the two of us. I told her this is the going rate now. So she now does not bring up the lets go eat nearly as often.

I have always made it a point to keep the tank with gas just in case.
Same here. If we are below half, we may as well be on empty. I do not like to be low on fuel so it's a priority for us.

I have a generator for backup power at the house, so now with the cost of fuel, I'm guessing it would probably be best for me to not run it constantly and try to use it just enough to keep the food frozen.

We also had the idea of a bug-out home by looking for someone that bought an RV so they could recreate during covid, but now realize it's not their thing and want to dump it. That might have to wait a while to see if fuel stabilizes because for one, I'm not sure I want to pay to pull that thing around and two, if fuel keeps going up then I assume RV prices will go even lower and I could potentially save quite a bit more money.

Wife and I eat out less now due to that. She likes to go. Last many times it was like you, about $60 for the two of us. I told her this is the going rate now. So she now does not bring up the lets go eat nearly as often.
Yep. The brewery by the house used to run a weekly burger special for $14-16. Now it's about $21-25.

We went to Fogo on Friday and the place was PACKED. You'd never know we are in the collapse.

If an extra $20 to fill up your tank is making you rethink your SHTF plans, maybe you need to take Personal Finance 101 at the local CC.
You're not wrong. But, you're missing the fact that a LARGE percentage of the population lives paycheck to paycheck and would struggle with an unexpected 3 figure bill.

It's not just that it takes an extra $20 to fill up the car. It's that it takes that...and it costs more for the same amount of food...entertainment costs went up...etc. etc. It ends up being a lot for some people. And if people start defaulting on our debt run economy...then the problems start.

It'll be interesting - that's for sure. I felt bad for the people retiring in ~2008 time frame because their end of life plans got basically gutted. Here we are, just a wee bit later and the same thing might happen to the next round of retirees.

I wonder what would happen to our debt if the war went hot? Any WW2 historians here know what happened then?

You're not wrong. But, you're missing the fact that a LARGE percentage of the population lives paycheck to paycheck and would struggle with an unexpected 3 figure bill.

It's not just that it takes an extra $20 to fill up the car. It's that it takes that...and it costs more for the same amount of food...entertainment costs went up...etc. etc. It ends up being a lot for some people. And if people start defaulting on our debt run economy...then the problems start.

It'll be interesting - that's for sure. I felt bad for the people retiring in ~2008 time frame because their end of life plans got basically gutted. Here we are, just a wee bit later and the same thing might happen to the next round of retirees.

I wonder what would happen to our debt if the war went hot? Any WW2 historians here know what happened then?
Only talking about it in the context of the OP's question about SHTF. Higher gas prices should have no effect on your SHTF plans.

I filled all my cans and vehicles a week and a half ago in Sandy. Cheapest gas near PDX.
That same station is now a full dollar more per gallon...

I know its getting pretty fuqed - but somehow I feel like a successful commodities broker who just profited 75 bucks.

Until next fill up... :(

I'll bet they're using credit cards too, racking up that debt...
Probably. It's crazy - dinner at Fogo cost more than a night at the Hotel DeLuxe's biggest suite.

The other comic thing - Fogo wasn't my first choice but we couldn't get into my first choice because of my lack of a booster shot for the coof. Blows my mind that restaurants can make those distinctions when so many of them have closed up shop in the last two years.

Strangest experience ever - people in downtown doing the mask thing even while outside and alone...go into a restaurant, and it's like nothing ever happened. Buffet style appetizers and salads...seating close together (I could have leaned back and touched the nearest guy)...and like I said - packed with people.

Probably. It's crazy - dinner at Fogo cost more than a night at the Hotel DeLuxe's biggest suite.

The other comic thing - Fogo wasn't my first choice but we couldn't get into my first choice because of my lack of a booster shot for the coof. Blows my mind that restaurants can make those distinctions when so many of them have closed up shop in the last two years.

Strangest experience ever - people in downtown doing the mask thing even while outside and alone...go into a restaurant, and it's like nothing ever happened. Buffet style appetizers and salads...seating close together (I could have leaned back and touched the nearest guy)...and like I said - packed with people.
I never understood the outdoor mask thing. Complete nonsense.

At the first sign of trouble are you planning on filling up some cans? If so, how is the price of fuel going to affect your situation?
Unless the marauders drive Prius', I'm probably closer to 1.5 tanks of gas from all the yayhoos. But I am saddened at the price of diesel since it means I may have to drive my tractor less.

Unless the marauders drive Prius', I'm probably closer to 1.5 tanks of gas from all the yayhoos. But I am saddened at the price of diesel since it means I may have to drive my tractor less.
Price of food is going up, the farmers farm with diesel equipment and the truckers haul the food with diesel rigs. Cost go up then prices go up. This potus has screwed us Royal.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top