JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The biggest turn-off for me in an ad is a long list of things that "won't be tolerated from a buyer":
1. Don't ask if I will sell my items separately.
2. Don't send emails.
3. Won't lower price, don't ask.
4. If you have questions re-read the ad.
...etc.

One more...Is it still available? I see this question asked over and over on different ads without a follow up after the seller answers Yes.

Kind've like the old days, on the CB radio, we'd say 10-36 please?, or radio check?, just as an excuse to participate.:)

@Kruejl
e
Perhaps this site should implement a WTS tag for the major metro areas, instead of states, to help people identify geographically local items quicker.

I hate clicking on all the Vancouver threads.

Kruejl isn't the one that you want to suggest that to @Joe Link This isn't a bad idea. It would help us know what part of oregon people are in as well.

I know! Peeps could, ah, maybe, put their location in their ad??? Would that work? Dang, what a concept!

Location in the ad still makes me open the ad and search for the info. This is inefficient, if it was in the in the title, or a tag, we could filter easily.

Waddayawant? The world set right in the palm of your hand? :D Besides, I don't want to filter out the possibility of missing out on something real special....As in "Road Trip" special.

Got a new (used) toy through a want-ad here last week. I really appreciated the seller's quick, pro-active approach. And decent pictures.

Since he lives in Woodburn, he made a point of indicating he could transfer at either of two FFLs (both inexpensive), one in Tigard and the other in Keizer. Both work for me depending on what day it is. I was already going to Salem so we met in Keizer and the whole thing took minutes.

Responsiveness is big too. Dead silence for a day or two after PMing a seller is annoying. Vague non-answers in sent PMs are also useless. I do a lot of stuff on craigslist, and I place ads only when I'll be available for a couple days to respond to emails, texts and phonecalls - get it done.

Got a new (used) toy through a want-ad here last week. I really appreciated the seller's quick, pro-active approach. And decent pictures.

Since he lives in Woodburn, he made a point of indicating he could transfer at either of two FFLs (both inexpensive), one in Tigard and the other in Keizer. Both work for me depending on what day it is. I was already going to Salem so we met in Keizer and the whole thing took minutes.

Responsiveness is big too. Dead silence for a day or two after PMing a seller is annoying. Vague non-answers in sent PMs are also useless. I do a lot of stuff on craigslist, and I place ads only when I'll be available for a couple days to respond to emails, texts and phonecalls - get it done.
Not the Stevens 520 by Madmax, was it?

Waddayawant? The world set right in the palm of your hand? :D Besides, I don't want to filter out the possibility of missing out on something real special....As in "Road Trip" special.

I agree, I really don't mind doing a road trip to do business. I like cruising with the wife and going to new places to meet new people, new foods, and an escape from the soul sucking teenagers at home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is #1 for me, I hate to read all the way through a for sale thread, and at the very end, it says SOLD. Please close your ads when sold. :s0067:

And for the love of pete, stop removing the prices from stuff after it sells. Makes it hard to gauge market value on stuff later on down the road when you're trying to compare against what something has sold for recently. :confused:

I hate opening old ads to see the condition / price on something and the original ad has just been replaced with 'SOLD'. :mad::mad::mad:

And for the love of pete, stop removing the prices from stuff after it sells. Makes it hard to gauge market value on stuff later on down the road when you're trying to compare against what something has sold for recently. :confused:

I hate opening old ads to see the condition / price on something and the original ad has just been replaced with 'SOLD'. :mad::mad::mad:

I doubt that will change. There are people that feel that if "They" decide to come for our guns they will use past posts to hunt up who has the guns. Not sure I agree, but it's also kind of a personal thing. I figure they've got a right to do it if they want.

I hate to wade back into this bullbubblegum, but I ever so enjoy the guy with a total of 5 posts who responds in a WTS ad with "hey, I will buy you item for (insert offer here, usually lowball, in public) today, call me"
I've taken the bait a few time and tried calling, but inevitably they flake...

I would suggest that if you must make a comment on a sales ad...Keep it positive , keep it simple and keep it short.
Comments like:
Excellent rifle...great price
I always wanted one of these...
Nice revolver , good luck with your sale...
By keeping your comments short , simple and positive , you don't run the risk of someone thinking that you are threadcrapping...

A member's sales ad is not the place for a discussion on :
The merits of the price on the item for sale...
Where you can buy the same item cheaper...
That you have one just like it for sale as well...
How you think and feel about that gun and its condition ...
Whether or not the gun is a collectors piece...
The usefulness of the gun for sale...

If you want to buy the gun at the listed price...post in the ad or contact the seller...
If you want to buy the gun , but don't like the listed price , contact the seller via PM and make a counter offer , politely...
If you want more details about the gun and its condition..a PM may be best...
If you don't like the gun or the price and have no intention of buying the gun then Do not comment...

Should be simple...but alas , like many things that should be simple ...it ain't ...
Andy

I had to re-read the heading but a good tip from me is realistic pricing - especially on older or 'classic' guns. Just because it is 'older' or has a certain name or marking does not necessarily mean it is worth 30-40 % more than the average asking price of the same gun in similar condition in another selling environment. If you want to sell your gun take the time to research and come up with a reasonable Asking price. Quite frankly some of the asking prices I see here suggest the seller has no idea of the real market value of the gun.

Another 'tip' - if you are going to offer something for trade the seller is not asking for , or is not on his 'wanted' list offer the item only and do NOT include what you think it is worth. This is always irritating for me and results in my responding "well if you think it's worth that much go sell it and come back with a cash offer". Offer the item only and let the sell decide on the value - it's much more respectful.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top