Classified ads etiquette, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kruel J, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is long overdue IMO. So without further adieu:

1. Try to always include pictures. Even if the item is BNIB. It helps. trust me.

2. If its a WTS ad, chances are they aren't looking for trades. Money talks. If the OP says no trades, don't offer trades!

3. Please don't title ads like this:
    WTS OR: and WA too blah blah gun stuff
    The tag is for where the item is located, NOT where you're willing to sell.

4. Do not thread cr@p, meaning don't post links to online sellers with better pricing. Don't comment on how you think it's a bad deal. If you're interested, send a Convo and please don't put your phone number and email address out in the open. In other words, if you don't have anything nice to say, move on and let it be. Even if it is for a $100 brick of Thunderbolts.

5. Keep your ad updated and accurate, and if you sell your item close it. This can be done at the top right of the first post under "Thread Tools", then uncheck the option for "Open".

6. To make sure pictures aren't mixed in with the description, type the whole description then hit enter a couple of times. THEN upload your pics and insert them. It will keep them below the typed post and not mixed in between.

7. If you want the option to delete your own ads, becoming a Supporting Member does have it's privileges.

8. Make sure you start with a thoughtful and ACCURATE thread title. After 5 minutes you CANNOT edit it and then I or another Mod has to.

9. You want to be able to bump your ad to the top of the list more often? Again, Supporting Membership has privileges. Really guys, it's not that much.

10. Finally, if you have a group of items that are very similar, list them together with pictures and pricing. You can edit your post anytime something sells unlike title edits. So list a whole bunch of ammo with a title like "WTS OR: Large lot of various ammo calibers" then just edit the thread body as stuff moves.

And to finish this off, please familiarize yourself with the rules to be a member here at NWFA.

Community Rules

Thank you.

old11bravo, hker71, Lextruck and 22 others like this.
  2. slimmer13

slimmer13
    Deer Park

Any interest in a 9yo weimeriner?

3. STUKA

STUKA
    Near Milwaukie
    Personality,PLUS! 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Will you take $300 less than your asking price?
    And will you ship?

Seriously,I've temporarily deleted myself from the forums many times stemming from some of the mind boggling stupidity on the classifieds.

This has been a long time coming,and I hope it gets better.

hker71, Medic!, Dyjital and 2 others like this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Sniper Bird! (What Retch Sweeney would say) Bronze Supporter

I like turtles. anybody got a turtle?

hker71, Lupercal1138, Velzey and 8 others like this.
  5. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

11. Post pictures right side up.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland
    Sniper Bird! (What Retch Sweeney would say) Bronze Supporter

But leave the Hobbits feetses!

GRUNDEL, CHLChris, etrain16 and 5 others like this.
  7. Connor Murphy

Connor Murphy
    Washington County

What if it isn't the pictures that are upside down?

CHLChris and Joe13 like this.
  8. MasterChief

MasterChief
    ID
    It isn't what it used to be...

I agree with all of the post but I do like links to cheaper items....I wont do it but if I'm looking at the add and someone shows some place cheaper for the same thing, I'm already interested and I'll usually follow the link and buy it there...money talks.

Thanks for the post Kruejl :)

CHLChris, Joe13 and Kruejl like this.
  9. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I get that, but it isn't fair to the OP. And there are those of us that like dealing with members here face to face more than online shopping. TBH I have no problem paying a little more than PSA's daily deal to buy directly from a member here. Either way, linking to the same item for less is thread cr@pping.

10. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough
    RIP City!

"I hate to be that guy even though your ad states firm but would you take.....?" Obviously you dont mind being 'that guy' if you make an offer anyways.

Used To Hunt, Jeedia and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun

I rarely haggle, as you already know! :) BUT, I don't really see a problem if someone wants to throw out a reasonable counteroffer.

Flymph, Joe13 and ThemGunsThough like this.
  12. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I’m not going to be a dick and start posting links to this thread on certain members ads.

Just need to repeat that to myself a few times...

The Heretic, GRUNDEL, Velzey and 6 others like this.
  13. Reno

Reno
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

@Kruejl there needs to be a floating sticky with all the rules on the top of each sub section.

Heck, I couldn’t even find the rules a while back when I wanted to share them with a new user.

I’ve also been on forums where the rules had to be read upon first sale thread.

I also really like forums where the sale sections are locked until so many posts have been made.

14. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun

Only @Joe Link can do stuff like that. But I like it!

Joe Link and Joe13 like this.
  15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR
    Member Emeritus

Hey Kruejl, I’ll offer $110 for those T-bolts!!! :cool:

Stomper and Joe13 like this.
  16. Kruel J

Kruel J
    Orygun

I gave those away in the Pay it Forward thread. Is my ad still open?? :rolleyes::D

Flymph, Sgt Nambu, GOG and 2 others like this.
  17. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Columbia County
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Dude... you have a phone. Turn it over...

18. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

12. Toughen up a bit and don't get all peed off if/when someone doesn't follow general discussion forum classified etiquette. Not everyone is discussion forum savvy. We were all new to it once.

Wolf256, Medic!, CHLChris and 3 others like this.
  19. MountainBear

MountainBear
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So if someone is an established member, we can just call them out for being an inconsiderate dick?

20. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Depends on what you definition of inconsiderate richard is? Some people don't know any better. :D

Heck, I see quite a few people that have been here for awhile and still don't realize how easy pictures are. :s0153: