JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the advice. It's gratifying to realize that I was wrong in my assumption that since I've already paid, the store would wash their hands of any problems.

And re Sportman's: I've never had any issues there in the past. The folks have been knowledgeable and friendly every time I've gone and they've had no issues with me doing whatever I need to do to decide on a purchase. A stark difference from the one time I went to buy a gun at Cabela's, where the guy made me feel like I was a stain on his shoe and where I wasn't allowed to pull the trigger or rack the slide unless he had his hand on my wrist and the gun was pointed at a clearing trap. LOL!

Sportsmans will ship to a non-Sportsmans gun store?
Not sure whether this was meant as a general question or a query about my post. But in case it's the latter: I ordered on the Sportsman's site and it wasn't in stock and my local Sportsman's store, so they're shipping it to that store from one of their other locations.

And if it was a general question: yes, Sportsman's will ship to an FFL dealer of your choice.

When I've bought a gun in a store in the past, I've taken look at it, checked the fit, slide, action, etc. etc., then made the purchase. All normal stuff. This time, I've purchased a gun via the Sportsman's Warehouse site, where they're shipping it to my local store. In other words, when I go there it'll already be paid for.

That being the case, is it still normal to open the box up at the store and do all the same stuff as with a regular in-store purchase? Or, if not all of that, is it assumed that I'll want to at least open it up to check if everything's there? Or alternatively, since it's already paid for and since you can't return a firearm anyway if there's an issue, is the expectation that I'll just be filling out the paperwork, completing the background check (fingers crossed) and then leaving?
Absolutely check that gun
It really isn't your gun until you pass the background check anyway, so do it before you start any paperwork. You have every right to refuse it if it's effed up in any way.

Sounds like the outcome is favorable for you, which is great. I always want to look at something I am buying before I make the transfer.

Etiquette for me would be for you to ask your dealer/store the policy up front, so you know what you are getting into before stepping off the ledge. There are hundreds of threads about things people didn't like about dealer/store policies. Almost always after the fact and things that could have been solved with questions up front.

I always check my Wilson out before bringing it home.

IMG_1509.jpeg

Maybe Wilson checks YOU out before letting you take him home.

Not much of an issue these days when purchasers are happy with gunstocks made of finely figured Circassian fiddleback birdseye-burled black plastic, but if purchasing a wood-stocked factory new gun (and provided the shop has more than one in inventory), I would always ask that they open more than one example in order that I may choose the wood I prefer.

This was common practice, and any gun shop owner worth his salt (and valuing repeat customers) would expect it and accommodate.

When I've bought a gun in a store in the past, I've taken look at it, checked the fit, slide, action, etc. etc., then made the purchase. All normal stuff. This time, I've purchased a gun via the Sportsman's Warehouse site, where they're shipping it to my local store. In other words, when I go there it'll already be paid for.

That being the case, is it still normal to open the box up at the store and do all the same stuff as with a regular in-store purchase? Or, if not all of that, is it assumed that I'll want to at least open it up to check if everything's there? Or alternatively, since it's already paid for and since you can't return a firearm anyway if there's an issue, is the expectation that I'll just be filling out the paperwork, completing the background check (fingers crossed) and then leaving?
Depends on which sportsman's store. I've paid for gun online and it says in stock ready for pickup and I go to pick it up and they have no idea where it is and can't say if they will ever get one on stock. That was at 82nd store. Totally mismanaged POS store that one.

One of the issues with Sportsman's was their treatment of customers during the long delays procedures of OSP. Sportsman's, along with some other corporate stores, would not check on your approval delay or do anything to expedite. I had several friends decide to purchase an inexpensive item, such as a stripped lower, at someplace like Ticklicker, just to tickle the system to get your approvals expedited. Ticklicker would call in approvals instead of using the slow online system.

It appeared to me to be a matter of corporate policy, i.e., some reported that Sportsman's would move on to the next customer instead of taking care of people that have already made a commitment to purchase.

Unfortunately too, it seems SW may be understaffed. Their online "in stock in store" status doesn't match up with what's on that store's shelves (that is, website says in stock, but shelf is bare).

One of the issues with Sportsman's was their treatment of customers during the long delays procedures of OSP. Sportsman's, along with some other corporate stores, would not check on your approval delay or do anything to expedite. I had several friends decide to purchase an inexpensive item, such as a stripped lower, at someplace like Ticklicker, just to tickle the system to get your approvals expedited. Ticklicker would call in approvals instead of using the slow online system.

It appeared to me to be a matter of corporate policy, i.e., some reported that Sportsman's would move on to the next customer instead of taking care of people that have already made a commitment to purchase.
You jogged my memory with your post. I live in Wahkiakum county and generally the Sheriff's approval is nearly instant. After filling out paperwork on one of the firearms I purchased at SW (it was about noonish) I asked if they could send the paperwork for approval right then since I lived 35ish miles away and I'd hang around for a bit. The clerk said all requests were sent out at 4pm daily and there wasn't anything he could do about it. Soooo....I drove home and at 4:10pm I got a call that I was approved. That would be my only complaint, and its not really that big of a deal I guess.

Not much of an issue these days when purchasers are happy with gunstocks made of finely figured Circassian fiddleback birdseye-burled black plastic, but if purchasing a wood-stocked factory new gun (and provided the shop has more than one in inventory), I would always ask that they open more than one example in order that I may choose the wood I prefer.

This was common practice, and any gun shop owner worth his salt (and valuing repeat customers) would expect it and accommodate.
Back in olden times we'd send the clerk to fetch many in-box, non-display guns from the back.. if they were all perfect the one with the coolest serial number was chosen.

You jogged my memory with your post. I live in Wahkiakum county and generally the Sheriff's approval is nearly instant. After filling out paperwork on one of the firearms I purchased at SW (it was about noonish) I asked if they could send the paperwork for approval right then since I lived 35ish miles away and I'd hang around for a bit. The clerk said all requests were sent out at 4pm daily and there wasn't anything he could do about it. Soooo....I drove home and at 4:10pm I got a call that I was approved. That would be my only complaint, and its not really that big of a deal I guess.
I see why you may not have been aware of what was going on in Oregon since you live in Washington. In Oregon, all 4473's go through the Oregon State Police. They go through NICS immediately if there is no confusion or need for further action on their end. During the peak Measure 114 buying spree, the state police couldn't keep up and people were being delayed for months without knowing why. The FFL can call to inquire about the status of a background check. Many times, that inquiry was enough to pull the 4473 from the stack of those with questions and they were many times approved immediately. Sportsman's refused to call in or check the status of weeks and months old background checks. Another option in Oregon is to call in the BGC instead of using the online system. Typically, those that are called in received attention immediately while those using the online system only were being delayed. Again, Sportsman's refused to do that.

Don't mean to belabor the point or be strongly against Sportsman's, just want to give an explanation to those north of us, since their process is different, and you folks would have had different experiences. To be fair, Sportsman's wasn't the only store doing this, statements from other people here, and at gun shows, showed that many of the corporate stores were also refusing to call in or inquire about checks taking weeks and months to complete.

Back in olden times we'd send the clerk to fetch many in-box, non-display guns from the back.. if they were all perfect the one with the coolest serial number was chosen.
Nowadays we compare website photos and pick the one with the best photo resolution....

I have purchased online from Sportsman's in the past. The first thing they do is bring you the firearm so that you can inspect prior to starting any paperwork. I ordered an FN AR 15 that was the SOCOM forgery. I did not like the feel of it, nor the handling marks and told them that it wasn't what I expected, and they said no problem and refunded there.

JP9

Every gun store Ive used has encouraged me to inspect the gun before I filled out the 4473.

Who pays for the return shipping if the buyer finds the gun isnt right?

Always take a peek I had to send one back a Sig P226 looked great in the pictures but one side had pitting all along the slide back to Birmingham Pistol Palace it went and will never order from them again !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top