JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You might want to pick up an oops kit with extra springs and detents. If you don't need it this time, you probably will later on when you swap out one part or another. You'd be surprised how far those springs can fly when you're not careful.

FWIW, I've owned ARs for years and recently transitioned nearly all of my collection to side-chargers. I like it a lot better than the classic charging handle configuration, particularly when running magnified optics.
If you use an extended ambi-charging handle the charging handle can be ran with 1 finger/knuckle

I was apprehensive with my first build and spent a month reading and viewing DIY threads and videos. By then I had purchased the parts and assembled some tools to put things together. Silly easy, it turned out. Go slow and think about what you're doing while you're handling the parts. It all comes together with a big smile.
ar build.JPG

RE: tips advice suggestions

This website is what I used and IMO everything needed in one place and in order:

If you have to install a trigger guard do that first, that way if you break the lower flange you dont have to disassemble the rest of the lower to get your LPK parts back.
Use copious amounts of painters tape when installing the bolt catch roll pin to avoid scratching the lower, you cant use enough tape.

Buy the best trigger you can afford, cry a little if you have to on the trigger.

adding this...
(I'll probably get ridiculed for this but... )

AR Stoner is a budget brand but their LPK is on sale for 9 bucks. All due respect if you buy a more expensive kit but this is also a great spare parts kit to keep on hand or have when one of the expensive springs goes flying into oblivion. Technically one can be really really careful and thats me.... yet, Ive chased that rear detent spring more than once. I wouldnt go into a build without a spare set of springs.
tip: Put a towel over the lower when you install that spring

FWIW I built a rifle in ~2013 with this kit and its never broke. Back then there was a "parts crunch" and it was all I could find.

Last Edited:
I'm starting with this receiver from Wilson Combat. Mainly because it's one of the top manufactures in the business and they are a local business of where I was born, so the Wilson stamp and AR on the other side mean something to me personally. I am fully aware I could get an Anderson Arms receiver and likely not have known the difference build wise, so it's not a matter of flexing a high end product here FYI.

I plan on purchasing a complete upper. I don't know what yet, but I am leaning towards a smaller barrel than my current 16" setup. I really like the feel of a 13.7" and smaller even for multiple reasons, mostly personal preference. Whatever I choose it will be a reputable manufacturer and quality. Suggestions welcome along with pics of what you have.

As far as building the lower, let me know what your opinions are. I have a Geissele SSA-E trigger on my only other AR and I love it so I feel I might just go that route again but maybe not in black this time. I do want an ambi safety selector and quality parts all around. The only thing I already have is a basic PSA BCG that's 158 carpenter steel that I likely will just upgrade to the Microbest chrome/premium BCG.

I am nowhere near an expert here, and I know this isn't some complicated endeavor but it's a first for me and being newer to the hobby I am excited for it. I had a terrible second half of 2023 and am recovering from some heartaches so staying busy and positive is the goal overall here. Thanks for looking!

edit- I am wrong handed and shoot lefty.
Some dang fine comments in here. Hard to add much to whats been said, but I'll throw some things out there...

LPKs and field repair kits are all Aero for me. Its where I started and I've been more than happy and so there I stay. They're also local for us Washingtonians so there is the support local factor too.

Personally I'm a creature of habit. Once I find something that works for me I stick with it and generally put it on everything. One because I know I can trust it and two because I don't want a wide variety of different "acting" parts. One of the biggest things in this arena is triggers. After trying almost a dozen different triggers over the years I now run the same trigger in everything. This has helped me eliminate a lot of "muscle/brain re-training" if I have neglected a particular weapon for a while. I can pick up anything I own in this category of firearm and I know exactly what to expect from the trigger. This is true for charging handles (on my rear chargers), furniture, barrels, and even muzzle devices. Consistency is everything, so when everything is consistent it helps. For me anyhow...

If you have the ability to shoot some stuff different from what you currently own (friends or family) I recommend that before you buy. You may have your heart set on something and once you try it you realize its not for you.

Ultimately, none of this means anything unless you train train train. Train with your weapon like your life depends on it and get good with what you have.

Good luck with your build. Have fun and stay safe.

I have several LaRue MBT triggers and really like them. I've also got an ALG in one and a PSA EPT in another. All are vast improvements over the standard AR trigger.

I see that you're in Salem. I've got roll pin punches and starter punches that I'll be glad to loan you. Send me a PM if you'd like some help.

By the way, welcome to our addiction! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads