JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm starting with this receiver from Wilson Combat. Mainly because it's one of the top manufactures in the business and they are a local business of where I was born, so the Wilson stamp and AR on the other side mean something to me personally. I am fully aware I could get an Anderson Arms receiver and likely not have known the difference build wise, so it's not a matter of flexing a high end product here FYI.

I plan on purchasing a complete upper. I don't know what yet, but I am leaning towards a smaller barrel than my current 16" setup. I really like the feel of a 13.7" and smaller even for multiple reasons, mostly personal preference. Whatever I choose it will be a reputable manufacturer and quality. Suggestions welcome along with pics of what you have.

As far as building the lower, let me know what your opinions are. I have a Geissele SSA-E trigger on my only other AR and I love it so I feel I might just go that route again but maybe not in black this time. I do want an ambi safety selector and quality parts all around. The only thing I already have is a basic PSA BCG that's 158 carpenter steel that I likely will just upgrade to the Microbest chrome/premium BCG.

I am nowhere near an expert here, and I know this isn't some complicated endeavor but it's a first for me and being newer to the hobby I am excited for it. I had a terrible second half of 2023 and am recovering from some heartaches so staying busy and positive is the goal overall here. Thanks for looking!

edit- I am wrong handed and shoot lefty.

Last Edited:
You're already over thinking it. AR lowers go together like legos.

Have the tools you need, have the parts you want, watch a youtube video or two about it, spend an hour putting it together. Done.

I like extended magazine release buttons, magpul BAD levers, and $80 Larue 2-stage triggers. Personally I don't have a need for ambi-safety selectors, I'm not a lefty.

Edit:

Came back to say. When you put it together and you have all your springs and small pieces sitting around. Do it in a place that you aren't going to lose them if they shoot off under pressure somewhere into the room, and don't shoot a spring or a detent into your eye.

Last Edited:
If under 16" barrel, either paper it as SBR (NFA item, Form 1, E-file, pay with credit card), or don a pistol brace and pay nothing, register nothing.

All three of my ARs are assembled, with the first and second one having been barreled by a gunsmith.. the most recent one I bought a vise and receiver block to install barrel myself.

Two 16" barreled builds, 1 a M16A2 carbine Midlength build inspired by Armalite's M15 midlength and RRA LAR-15 Midlength, and the other started as a standard M4 Carbine 16" kit from Sarco, most recently swapped front sight base for a YHM low profile clamp on gas block and installed a Dez Tactical set screw front sight base at rifle length with pawnshop handguards (PSA likely? Maybe DPMS fat), inspired by Bushmaster's Dissipator setups from the AWB/post AWB era.

12" 6.5 Grendel C7 commando, started as parts and pistol braced then registered as SBR during the amnesty.

The Dissipator and C7 Commando both have Anderson lowers, the M16A2 Middy has PSA's M16A2 marked lower.

DSCF7244.JPG DSCF7245.JPG DSCF7227.JPG

I'm right handed and like the ambi safety for putting the safety back on. It's a quick swipe backwards with your right hand index finger. I run a lot of AR drills and also shoot steel challenge with AR 22 & 9mm, so putting the safety back on between strings is important to me, maybe not so much for others.

If under 16" barrel, either paper it as SBR (NFA item, Form 1, E-file, pay with credit card), or don a pistol brace and pay nothing, register nothing.

All three of my ARs are assembled, with the first and second one having been barreled by a gunsmith.. the most recent one I bought a vise and receiver block to install barrel myself.

Two 16" barreled builds, 1 a M16A2 carbine Midlength build inspired by Armalite's M15 midlength and RRA LAR-15 Midlength, and the other started as a standard M4 Carbine 16" kit from Sarco, most recently swapped front sight base for a YHM low profile clamp on gas block and installed a Dez Tactical set screw front sight base at rifle length with pawnshop handguards (PSA likely? Maybe DPMS fat), inspired by Bushmaster's Dissipator setups from the AWB/post AWB era.

12" 6.5 Grendel C7 commando, started as parts and pistol braced then registered as SBR during the amnesty.

The Dissipator and C7 Commando both have Anderson lowers, the M16A2 Middy has PSA's M16A2 marked lower.

View attachment 1802312 View attachment 1802313 View attachment 1802314
Wow, nice. Impressive collection.

I'm right handed and like the ambi safety for putting the safety back on. It's a quick swipe backwards with your right hand index finger. I run a lot of AR drills and also shoot steel challenge with AR 22 & 9mm, so putting the safety back on between strings is important to me, maybe not so much for others.
I am a lefty but with the AR15 platform I'm not eating brass at least.

I'd recommend paying for a name brand Lower Parts Kit (LPK) so you have better quality components. I've been picking up Aero Precision kits when I see them on sale. Some of the cheaper ones have sloppier specs and cheaper metal that might lead to breakage or sloppy fit. The extra $30 to $40 won't matter to you a year from now.

People have their own preferences. Personally, I don't care for a BAD lever but know people that swear by them. I like anti-rotation trigger pins because of the way it looks and my experience with pins backing out on my AR9. Again, just my opinion and preferences. The great thing about the AR platform is the ability to adapt options to your liking.

Speaking of lower parts; CMMG is basically good. JSE Surplus has Doublestar LPKs for sale; but you might want to get "AR assembler's" parts kits that don't indclude trigger/hammer/whatever because you're gonna get a nice 2-stage trigger/FCG...

I'd recommend paying for a name brand Lower Parts Kit (LPK) so you have better quality components. I've been picking up Aero Precision kits when I see them on sale. Some of the cheaper ones have sloppier specs and cheaper metal that might lead to breakage or sloppy fit. The extra $30 to $40 won't matter to you a year from now.

People have their own preferences. Personally, I don't care for a BAD lever but know people that swear by them. I like anti-rotation trigger pins because of the way it looks and my experience with pins backing out on my AR9. Again, just my opinion and preferences. The great thing about the AR platform is the ability to adapt options to your liking.
This is exactly what my friend is saying and I probably will. You get what you pay for typically.

You're already over thinking it. AR lowers go together like legos.

Have the tools you need, have the parts you want, watch a youtube video or two about it, spend an hour putting it together. Done.

I like extended magazine release buttons, magpul BAD levers, and $80 Larue 2-stage triggers. Personally I don't have a need for ambi-safety selectors, I'm not a lefty.

Edit:

Came back to say. When you put it together and you have all your springs and small pieces sitting around. Do it in a place that you aren't going to lose them if they shoot off under pressure somewhere into the room, and don't shoot a spring or a detent into your eye.
Do ya one better: Get one of those superjumbo Ziploc bags, the XXL or XXXL "Big Bags" that are only 3-4 to the box, and put all your parts in that. Think of it as a "Build Bench Condom" - when your parts try to fly the bag traps 'em.

Also, get the Real Avid pivot-pin detent tool. Helps a LOT.

For uppers / lowers / LPK's I'm a big fan of Aero. Sure had great luck with mine. My AR's have Ballistic Advantage or Rainier Arms barrels, no complaints. Triggers are personal preference; nothing wrong with Geissle at all. I've got CMC'S and ALG in my safe, happy with both. Have fun..!!

I have used Aero lowers and uppers for my builds. I was using Magpul grips and Stock, using BCM LPK, then a BCM PNT trigger. For my upper I used a 16" Spikes Tactical chrome lined barrel, a standard barrel nut, mid length gas tube and BCM gas port and used a Troy M-LOK hand guard.

I also put painter tape on my lower and upper receiver so I don't scratch the surface. It mostly worked but had few small scratches but it is aluminum and touch up with a sharpie black pen.

Last Edited:
Do ya one better: Get one of those superjumbo Ziploc bags, the XXL or XXXL "Big Bags" that are only 3-4 to the box, and put all your parts in that. Think of it as a "Build Bench Condom" - when your parts try to fly the bag traps 'em.

Also, get the Real Avid pivot-pin detent tool. Helps a LOT.
I get what you are saying.

I helped some friends put together their lowers and all I used was some Allen wrenches, and a buffer tube wrench. I've never ran into any parts flying, but I've seen enough people complain about that happening that I give it as blanket advice.

FWIW, I've owned ARs for years and recently transitioned nearly all of my collection to side-chargers. I like it a lot better than the classic charging handle configuration, particularly when running magnified optics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top