JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I've bought a gun in a store in the past, I've taken look at it, checked the fit, slide, action, etc. etc., then made the purchase. All normal stuff. This time, I've purchased a gun via the Sportsman's Warehouse site, where they're shipping it to my local store. In other words, when I go there it'll already be paid for.

That being the case, is it still normal to open the box up at the store and do all the same stuff as with a regular in-store purchase? Or, if not all of that, is it assumed that I'll want to at least open it up to check if everything's there? Or alternatively, since it's already paid for and since you can't return a firearm anyway if there's an issue, is the expectation that I'll just be filling out the paperwork, completing the background check (fingers crossed) and then leaving?

IMHO.....Check it.

1695334698822.png

Aloha, Mark

Might as well take a peek. Though, I rarely find issues until I get the firearm home unless something major is wrong. The warts seem to appear once you're at home and not at the peak of the gun purchasing dopamine rush.

Some brands I don't bother looking over since they never seem to have issues. H&K is a good example, so are Miroku Winchesters. Others, like Ruger, LMT, Century imports, etc should be thoroughly examined before transfer.

I ABSOLUTELY would open the box and do a FULL inspection, to include testing the fit and finish and action feel and trigger ( Baring some shops who do not allow dry fire, which I refuse to do business with) and to insure everything it's supposed to include is in fact included! Most shops don't have issue doing this, however, I have ran into a few who got pissed when I refused the firearm due to quality issues which I pointed out to the staff, so they had to take the firearm back and ship me a new one! The good shops don't have any issue and don't charge a Bullsh!t "Restocking Fee" and are usually able to get a replacement in pretty quick!
Depending on the brand, make and model of your order, (Especially if it's Ruger or S&W, and ANY Remington/Marlin,) I would absolutely check for blemishes, grittyness/chrunchyness and general fit and finish and function, and it were less then perfection, ship that sucker back in a heart beat!

Same process as LGS. At SW, you just order online but do the paperwork in store. Can cancel and get full refund before transaction is completed in person. Even if you just changed your mind. In fact, if you just don't go in when the store calls you, SW will cancel the order after certain days.

Same process as LGS. At SW, you just order online but do the paperwork in store. Can cancel and get full refund before transaction is completed in person. Even if you just changed your mind. In fact, if you just don't go in when the store calls you, SW will cancel the order after certain days.
I once placed an order but had internet issues so I ended up hitting "submit" a few times. It turns out I accidentally ordered four scopes. I called them and they laughed before refunding 3 of 4.

Checking the gun is going to be the least of your worries when dealing with sportsman's warehouse.

It's been a couple years (pre-pandemic & OR M114) but Sportsmans (Hillsboro) gun counter workers were pretty good about verifying SN and letting me handle the pistol prior to putting in the transfer paperwork on two of three purchases. The third was a cancelled online order and I received a full refund credited back to my cc (during the pandemic purchase era). Check out their purchase terms and conditions before you go. Good luck! https://www.sportsmans.com/guns-purchase-terms

Technically even though you have already paid the money you have not taken possession of the item. If it is scratched up, dirty, or abused you certainly have every right to refuse to take delivery. Sign nothing until you have had a chance to look at it. Good luck

The LGS I typically use always tells me to test an item and make sure it's what I wanted before paperwork starts. A few times I just waved my hand and said I didn't care, just punch in the info. Good ones will have your back

normal to open the box up at the store and do all the same stuff as with a regular in-store purchase
Always check, as others have said. If for now other reason, to make sure the SM matches, also as others have said. One time I bought a new handgun, the clerk wrote the SN taken from the end of the box. I was casually looking it over and noticed the gun didn't match the box, that had to be fixed.

I still have a used AR that I bought, the clerk wrote the store stock number on the receipt instead of the serial number. Which I didn't notice for a couple of years. I went back to the store to get it fixed, they blew me off. But I have the store hang tag from it with both numbers on it, so I don't think it would be a problem explaining it to authorities if I had to. But this is a reminder to always check your paperwork as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top