Classified ads etiquette, tips and tricks

Roymil666

Reactions
Just because someone uses, for example, a Daniel Defense barrel on their AR build that does NOT make it a Daniel Defense nor should it be represented as such. I've seeing a lot of the sort of thing going on lately. I like to "Homebuild" as an option under manufacturer since "Other" does seem to get used n this case.
To expand on that thought. If it is a homebuild; LIST EVERYTHING that's is in it and then price accordingly.

Flymph

Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
I don’t set mine above MSRP, but I can also be in no hurry to sell. I usually offer ammo as a further inducement as well.
I getcha, but adding ammo and such makes it a deal. With adds like that, I always subtract cost of ammo and such to determine the price of the gun in said package.

OldBroad44

Reactions
There is also no reason for me to lose $3-400 on what I paid for a nice pistol. People can buy, or not. Its paid for so it can sit too.
Usually used stuff is discounted relative to new. For many reasons, including no warranty. In addition, most purchasers really only care about some of your modifications. Some may be not to their tastes or counterproductive. So if you want full new price, you might be being unrealistic. There are quite a few ads on NWFA that are asking hundreds more than the going prices for those guns, even hundreds more than new prices, and have been there many months. If the gun is hard to find, and widely coveted, thats a different story. Likewise if you bought used. If you bought used at a reasonable price, you can probably get your money out when you sell, assuming a gun that is widely desired/used, for which there is a fairly liquid market.

The Heretic

Reactions
Usually used stuff is discounted relative to new. For many reasons, including no warranty. In addition, most purchasers really only care about some of your modifications. Some may be not to their tastes or counterproductive. So if you want full new price, you might be being unrealistic. There are quite a few ads on NWFA that are asking hundreds more than the going prices for those guns, even hundreds more than new prices, and have been there many months. If the gun is hard to find, and widely coveted, thats a different story. Likewise if you bought used. If you bought used at a reasonable price, you can probably get your money out when you sell, assuming a gun that is widely desired/used, for which there is a fairly liquid market.
I don't have near as much of a problem with sellers asking more than they should, as I do with sellers not providing adequate info on the item. What is the length of the barrel on a rifle? Is the ammo FMJ or JHP? That kind of really simple and easy stuff to type in. Some of that was reduced when people had to enter the make/model/etc., but still I have found myself asking someone what kind of bullet is in the ammo they are selling. Really basic stuff.

For the price issues, and "custom"/"rare" features and so on - yeah, somewhat noticeable, but that is not a matter of etiquette really, just a sign of cluelessness?

Reno

Reactions
One thing that puzzles me about this forum is not many people are willing to haggle on either side of the sale. Especially when the ad says obo. Why not counter offer? Whenever I receive an offer that I don't agree with I always submit an alternative. Seems as though haggling is a dying art.
I negotiate as much as I’m willing too. If you start 100-200 lower than asking price, I may just ignore the message.

I do find humor in those that get offended when I stop replying, as if their offer was the best thing ever and I won’t sell the item because I didn’t take their offer!

What I do feel is 100% in bad taste, is attempting to change price at point of sale. Unless item is incredibly different than listed, there should be no last minute negotiations.

Roymil666

Reactions
I meant reasonable offers where you might not be far off from making a deal. That being said I usually post for what I'd like to get out of an item not necessarily what I would take for it. But even if there is no way of making a deal a simple no thanks suffices.

I negotiate as much as I’m willing too. If you start 100-200 lower than asking price, I may just ignore the message.

I do find humor in those that get offended when I stop replying, as if their offer was the best thing ever and I won’t sell the item because I didn’t take their offer!

What I do feel is 100% in bad taste, is attempting to change price at point of sale. Unless item is incredibly different than listed, there should be no last minute negotiations.

Mikej

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2017
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
I see the ads that have been up for weeks, or months? If it's not clear to the seller that their price is too high, or that the item is something nobody wants, at that price, well, I smile to myself a little and move on.
Meh. A lot of that stuff in the classifieds. No sweat.

Flymph

Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
I own plenty. I'm not buying one for you, that will be your decision. If its not a good deal, buy new.

I don't have a 'need' problem, I have a 'want' problem.
I hear that!
We've also had this conversation! LoL
Although, I share your want problem and have convinced myself that a few of those wants are needs. For instance, I tell myself I need a rifle that can shoot to 700 yds. The reasonable part of me whispers "you don't even know of a spot you can shoot to 700 yds"...

Siglvr

Reactions
I'm embarrassed to say that I read the very first post and thought to myself: "Yeah, that is long overdue". Shortly after I realized the post is 2 years old and I'd never seen it despite 19 pages of comments. :eek: :oops:

Thanks!

The Heretic

Reactions
I hear that!
We've also had this conversation! LoL
Although, I share your want problem and have convinced myself that a few of those wants are needs. For instance, I tell myself I need a rifle that can shoot to 700 yds. The reasonable part of me whispers "you don't even know of a spot you can shoot to 700 yds"...
Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh yesterday explaining to my daughter why I bought a 34# five foot long .50 BMG rifle over a decade ago, and Raufoss ammo (before I bought the rifle) that will shoot out to a mile away - just in case Antifa or a cartel gang got their hands on an APC and decided they wanted to terrorize the neighborhood. :s0092::D

I finally decided I needed the $ more than a fantasy gun that I was never going to shoot because there just was nowhere that I can shoot it within 4 hours driving, and no other reason to own it or the ammo.

Flymph

Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Autobiographer
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2019
Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh yesterday explaining to my daughter why I bought a 34# five foot long .50 BMG rifle over a decade ago, and Raufoss ammo (before I bought the rifle) that will shoot out to a mile away - just in case Antifa or a cartel gang got their hands on an APC and decided they wanted to terrorize the neighborhood. :s0092::D

I finally decided I needed the $ more than a fantasy gun that I was never going to shoot because there just was nowhere that I can shoot it within 4 hours driving, and no other reason to own it or the ammo.
The women in our lives have a heck of a way of making some of our great ideas feel silly sometimes. :s0114:

OldBroad44

Reactions
One thing that puzzles me about this forum is not many people are willing to haggle on either side of the sale. Especially when the ad says obo. Why not counter offer? Whenever I receive an offer that I don't agree with I always submit an alternative. Seems as though haggling is a dying art.
If I wanted something and it was a hundred or couple hundred overpriced, I'd haggle. But there are guns I'm interested in that have come up in the NWFA classified where the asking price is, for example, 1200 to 1500 for a gun which regularly sells on gunbroker for 800 or so. (Not what the asking prices are on gunbroker, which are also often equally ridiculous, but the actual sale prices--what people have actually paid for the guns.) When someone is asking that much more than the going price, I figure they are either looking for suckers, or are ignorant of what the gun is actually likely to sell for. (For example, they might think that asking prices on gunbroker rather than actual sales prices indicate the going value.) In either event I figure the seller would just be pissed at me if I PMed and made an offer that represented a reasonable offer that was hundreds less than their ask. I figure if the gun sits there for months, or a year or more, maybe they will get real and drop the price. Alternatively, the gun might be worth their asking price to them, so that they would just as soon keep the gun instead of selling it for less. Whatever, there are plenty of guns at reasonable prices, so there is, as far as I'm concerned, no need to risk antipathy by trying to get someone with an inflated price to drop it to a reasonable price.

There are also plenty of guns listed on NWFA that are at very reasonable prices for both parties. In that case, if I'm interested, I offer full asking price without dickering.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good Friday!
    Had a great first time visit that included a transfer, a special order, and some trading. Can't wait to come back! Also I realized after I got...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
Top Bottom