JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some sellers could benefit by checking the new price for their gun on gun.deals before posting their ads. It appears that some people overpay by hundreds of dollars and then try to sell the used gun for that price when a buyer can find it new for much less, even after taxes. The same for ammo, ammoseek.com is a useful comparator.
Some inexperienced sellers seem to be basing their idea of the new price on MSRP as given by the manufacturer, not realizing these are usually hundreds higher than the full price the gun sells for in gun stores. Then they subtract a couple hundred, and end up asking more for their used gun than we can buy it for new, not even counting the added expense of ffl fees, shipping, or driving long distances.

Some inexperienced sellers seem to be basing their idea of the new price on MSRP as given by the manufacturer, not realizing these are usually hundreds higher than the full price the gun sells for in gun stores. Then they subtract a couple hundred, and end up asking more for their used gun than we can buy it for new, not even counting the added expense of ffl fees, shipping, or driving long distances.

I've seen some of this.. I just figure those items will sit there. If they really want/need to sell they'll start dropping their price some.

I've seen some of this.. I just figure those items will sit there. If they really want/need to sell they'll start dropping their price some.

I've seen the flip side of this as well. "I can get this same thing from this site for this much if I use my % coupon code and free shipping". So go buy it?

Just because someone uses, for example, a Daniel Defense barrel on their AR build that does NOT make it a Daniel Defense nor should it be represented as such. I've seeing a lot of the sort of thing going on lately. I like to "Homebuild" as an option under manufacturer since "Other" does seem to get used n this case.

Just because someone uses, for example, a Daniel Defense barrel on their AR build that does NOT make it a Daniel Defense nor should it be represented as such. I've seeing a lot of the sort of thing going on lately. I like to "Homebuild" as an option under manufacturer since "Other" does seem to get used n this case.
To expand on that thought. If it is a homebuild; LIST EVERYTHING that's is in it and then price accordingly.

I don't set mine above MSRP, but I can also be in no hurry to sell. I usually offer ammo as a further inducement as well.
I getcha, but adding ammo and such makes it a deal. With adds like that, I always subtract cost of ammo and such to determine the price of the gun in said package.

There is also no reason for me to lose $3-400 on what I paid for a nice pistol. People can buy, or not. Its paid for so it can sit too.
Usually used stuff is discounted relative to new. For many reasons, including no warranty. In addition, most purchasers really only care about some of your modifications. Some may be not to their tastes or counterproductive. So if you want full new price, you might be being unrealistic. There are quite a few ads on NWFA that are asking hundreds more than the going prices for those guns, even hundreds more than new prices, and have been there many months. If the gun is hard to find, and widely coveted, thats a different story. Likewise if you bought used. If you bought used at a reasonable price, you can probably get your money out when you sell, assuming a gun that is widely desired/used, for which there is a fairly liquid market.

Usually used stuff is discounted relative to new. For many reasons, including no warranty. In addition, most purchasers really only care about some of your modifications. Some may be not to their tastes or counterproductive. So if you want full new price, you might be being unrealistic. There are quite a few ads on NWFA that are asking hundreds more than the going prices for those guns, even hundreds more than new prices, and have been there many months. If the gun is hard to find, and widely coveted, thats a different story. Likewise if you bought used. If you bought used at a reasonable price, you can probably get your money out when you sell, assuming a gun that is widely desired/used, for which there is a fairly liquid market.

I don't have near as much of a problem with sellers asking more than they should, as I do with sellers not providing adequate info on the item. What is the length of the barrel on a rifle? Is the ammo FMJ or JHP? That kind of really simple and easy stuff to type in. Some of that was reduced when people had to enter the make/model/etc., but still I have found myself asking someone what kind of bullet is in the ammo they are selling. Really basic stuff.

For the price issues, and "custom"/"rare" features and so on - yeah, somewhat noticeable, but that is not a matter of etiquette really, just a sign of cluelessness?

One thing that puzzles me about this forum is not many people are willing to haggle on either side of the sale. Especially when the ad says obo. Why not counter offer? Whenever I receive an offer that I don't agree with I always submit an alternative. Seems as though haggling is a dying art.

One thing that puzzles me about this forum is not many people are willing to haggle on either side of the sale. Especially when the ad says obo. Why not counter offer? Whenever I receive an offer that I don't agree with I always submit an alternative. Seems as though haggling is a dying art.
I negotiate as much as I'm willing too. If you start 100-200 lower than asking price, I may just ignore the message.

I do find humor in those that get offended when I stop replying, as if their offer was the best thing ever and I won't sell the item because I didn't take their offer!

What I do feel is 100% in bad taste, is attempting to change price at point of sale. Unless item is incredibly different than listed, there should be no last minute negotiations.

I meant reasonable offers where you might not be far off from making a deal. That being said I usually post for what I'd like to get out of an item not necessarily what I would take for it. But even if there is no way of making a deal a simple no thanks suffices.

I negotiate as much as I'm willing too. If you start 100-200 lower than asking price, I may just ignore the message.

I do find humor in those that get offended when I stop replying, as if their offer was the best thing ever and I won't sell the item because I didn't take their offer!

What I do feel is 100% in bad taste, is attempting to change price at point of sale. Unless item is incredibly different than listed, there should be no last minute negotiations.

I see the ads that have been up for weeks, or months? If it's not clear to the seller that their price is too high, or that the item is something nobody wants, at that price, well, I smile to myself a little and move on.
Meh. A lot of that stuff in the classifieds. No sweat.

I own plenty. I'm not buying one for you, that will be your decision. If its not a good deal, buy new.

I don't have a 'need' problem, I have a 'want' problem.
I hear that!
We've also had this conversation! LoL
Although, I share your want problem and have convinced myself that a few of those wants are needs. For instance, I tell myself I need a rifle that can shoot to 700 yds. The reasonable part of me whispers "you don't even know of a spot you can shoot to 700 yds"...

I'm embarrassed to say that I read the very first post and thought to myself: "Yeah, that is long overdue". Shortly after I realized the post is 2 years old and I'd never seen it despite 19 pages of comments. :eek: :oops:

Thanks!

I hear that!
We've also had this conversation! LoL
Although, I share your want problem and have convinced myself that a few of those wants are needs. For instance, I tell myself I need a rifle that can shoot to 700 yds. The reasonable part of me whispers "you don't even know of a spot you can shoot to 700 yds"...

Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh yesterday explaining to my daughter why I bought a 34# five foot long .50 BMG rifle over a decade ago, and Raufoss ammo (before I bought the rifle) that will shoot out to a mile away - just in case Antifa or a cartel gang got their hands on an APC and decided they wanted to terrorize the neighborhood. :s0092::D

I finally decided I needed the $ more than a fantasy gun that I was never going to shoot because there just was nowhere that I can shoot it within 4 hours driving, and no other reason to own it or the ammo.

Yeah, I had a bit of a laugh yesterday explaining to my daughter why I bought a 34# five foot long .50 BMG rifle over a decade ago, and Raufoss ammo (before I bought the rifle) that will shoot out to a mile away - just in case Antifa or a cartel gang got their hands on an APC and decided they wanted to terrorize the neighborhood. :s0092::D

I finally decided I needed the $ more than a fantasy gun that I was never going to shoot because there just was nowhere that I can shoot it within 4 hours driving, and no other reason to own it or the ammo.
The women in our lives have a heck of a way of making some of our great ideas feel silly sometimes. :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top