JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Clackamas. Scheduled my appointment online for the following day. Went in at the scheduled time with the required materials (Proof of residency and firearms training) - walked out with my CHL in hand in approx. 8 minutes.
This was pretty much my experience in Clackamas county. It did take me about 15 minutes because my name was spelled wrong on the CHL card and they had to make 3 copies before getting it right. They were very nice and seemed happy to give them out.

Benton County. Renewal for expired license. May, 2017. Called and got appointment a week out. They did a new photo but not new fingerprints. New license in mail about a week later. No waiting around. Fast and courteous. If only the rest of the government ran so well.

Clackamas County - applied on a Thursday, next available appointment that didn't conflict with work was the following Tuesday. I got there a little early for my appointment. They had just finished the prior applicant so they saw me early. Took less than ten minutes for them to print out my card. Very nice and pleasant experience.

Also the vibe there was great in general. I've been in so many public offices where they try to make you feel apologetic for even being there to bother the government workers by actually asking them to do their jobs. Here, I was welcomed and felt like I owned the place (maybe because as a citizen I do).

One of the few things I will regret when I eventually leave Oregon is not being able to vote to re-elect the Clackamas County Sheriff.

They were very nice and seemed happy to give them out.
A lot of LEOs are pretty friendly about citizens owning guns. Perhaps especially if you are a woman by yourself hiking or camping solo. Back when I was doing a lot of that I would almost always get a friendly approving remark from any deputy sheriff I ran into. "Glad to see you are carrying. Good to be on the safe side." One time I got a much more personal and clearly heartfelt "Thanks for carrying a gun. That means I don't have to worry about you."

Washington County
6/12: Followed the instructions and emailed my completed application to the Sheriff and set an appointment on there online scheduler for the 19th (soonest available slot, but 7 days isn't bad at all).
6/12: Two hours later, the application department emailed me back to let me know I didn't include an attachments in my email :confused:
6/18: Searching for my email to see when I applied so I can fill this timeline out, realized I hadn't seen response from Sheriff dept.
6/18: Emailed attachments correctly this time... I hope
6/19: To Be Continued....
Did you get it yet? How did it take? Submitting my application for Washington County tomorrow.

Washington County. Set up an appointment for July 5th in late June because that was the earliest I could make it. Got in and out of the place with license in hand in about 15 mins. Now my Walther PPS M2 goes everywhere with me.

Douglas County, maybe a week or two waiting for the new ID, appointments I never wait I make them ahead of time.
Seems the wait for a newbie could be 2-4 weeks.

Washington County Sheriff. Renewal. Downloaded the application and emailed it to them. Used their online scheduler to pick my date/time. Went in today and was out with new CHL in hand in 15 min. Then went to DMV to renew my DL. That only took about 30 min. Now I am legal. :D

Washington county new permit seems to be a week. Submitted the wife's application, set the appointment for one week later (that's the minimum from their website), she went in for photos and finger prints walked out with her newly minted CHL.

Lane county (Eugene) appointment system in place here now. Called in June 2, was given an appointment date of July 26, went in had my fingerprints done, photo taken and paid 65$, received my CHL on Sept 14
Wow! I had mine scheduled in 2 weeks and walked in and out in 15 minutes with CHL in hand. As I was walking out an elderly gentleman stopped me and said he was happy to see more women getting their concealed carry. Honestly, the gal overseeing the process was really nice and everyone I ran into there was more than friendly.

Wow! I had mine scheduled in 2 weeks and walked in and out in 15 minutes with CHL in hand. As I was walking out an elderly gentleman stopped me and said he was happy to see more women getting their concealed carry. Honestly, the gal overseeing the process was really nice and everyone I ran into there was more than friendly.
(Washington County)

From what I have been told and by reading a lot of post Washington county seems to be the fastest and most friendly lol .I guess I have to try and make a appointment there

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top