JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Long story short. I took an online class, walked in to the sheriff's office after they opened and told them I wanted to apply for my CHl. Took pics and finger prints right there and had my license I think within 8 or so total days.

Short story long. The online class I took was set up from a police officer from another state but guaranteed to work in X amount of states so I payed the $15 for it. Took the certificate which i printed out to the sheriff's office at the court house and they denied me because he didnt have some credential listed on the certificate but I forgot what it was now. I asked them if a hunter safety card was good since I heard that worked and they said yes so I drove the 4 minutes home to get it. Called the police officer that set the course up just give him a heads up that I got denied and he was shocked. Said he'd never had a denial before in oregon and said he was going to call the sheriff. By the time I got back to the court house with my hunter safety card the lady there said the cop had called and after taking to him she would accept his certificate but he just needed to change some wording on it. Then they saw the tattoos on my arm and asked if I was a veteran and I told them I was. They told me my DD214 would have worked for my license as well. I told them I never qualified with a pistol in the army and they said they didnt care and that Linn county is very gun friendly. Even with the mix up everyone was super nice and got me squared away fast. The cop who's course I took even asked if I wanted a refund and I told him no because the course was good regardless and I learned stuff from it so I didnt care but he ended up refunding me my money anyways.

Marion Co here; filed forms and paid my fees on 27, September, 2018. It's now 31, October, 2018 (34 days) and still waiting.

When I filed my forms and paid my fees they made it known that I should expect 45 days (they even stuck a sticker on my receipt that said 45 days). Looks like I'll be waiting the full 45 days at this rate. I'll update when I have the license in hand.

It's a bit annoying that it takes the full 45 days when so many of our brothers and sisters here are getting same day or very quick turnarounds. It'll be worth it in the end I suppose. Just seems nutty that they can run my background check for a firearm in 20-30 mins but I need to wait 45 days to get my license.

Not trying to whine guys; I'll be very happy when it arrives! If I survived my Class III wait times I can survive a 45 day wait for my license.

My fingers crossed to all of you applying/waiting for a quick turnaround! If you haven't applied please consider getting started.

Marion Co here; filed forms and paid my fees on 27, September, 2018. It's now 31, October, 2018 (34 days) and still waiting.

When I filed my forms and paid my fees they made it known that I should expect 45 days (they even stuck a sticker on my receipt that said 45 days). Looks like I'll be waiting the full 45 days at this rate. I'll update when I have the license in hand.

It's a bit annoying that it takes the full 45 days when so many of our brothers and sisters here are getting same day or very quick turnarounds. It'll be worth it in the end I suppose. Just seems nutty that they can run my background check for a firearm in 20-30 mins but I need to wait 45 days to get my license.

Not trying to whine guys; I'll be very happy when it arrives! If I survived my Class III wait times I can survive a 45 day wait for my license.

My fingers crossed to all of you applying/waiting for a quick turnaround! If you haven't applied please consider getting started.

Just updating here guys. Received my CHL in the post on Saturday. 37 days from submitting paperwork/photos/fees to having the license in hand. Marion County 2018

Douglas County, varied on the appointment times, could take a couple weeks to get an appointment just one person does the processing. But was 15 minutes to renew. I think new CC takes longer, but I just always renew.

FWIW, I just re-upped my non-resident carry permit through Wasco county and it got to me in about 10 days. The original I believe took about three weeks, which was quicker than I was led to believe.

Multnomah County
Submitted my application on 1/8/19
Just got my email for my appointment, its scheduled for 2/8/19 four weeks from today, then have to wait for them to mail it... Multnomah slow walks them. Its frustrating when 20 mins away in another county process can be a week or two instead of at least 2 months

Columbia county chl is scheduling about 3 weeks out, ended up waiting about 5 weeks so I could get the time slot I wanted. Brought my paperwork in, finger printed and photo, was told it will arrive in mail within 45 days

Columbia county chl is scheduling about 3 weeks out, ended up waiting about 5 weeks so I could get the time slot I wanted. Brought my paperwork in, finger printed and photo, was told it will arrive in mail within 45 days

Bummer. Washington County prints them out the day of your appointment.

Two weeks ago, Clackamas County, transfer current WaCo license as I moved.
Made appointment online to get printed, etc. Had appointment options for the next day, but due to my work schedule, opted for a spot about a week out from when I got online.
Was in, printed (inkless, yay!), photoed, processed, and out the door with my shiny new permit in hand about 20 minutes later.

Update on Multnomah County, and their super slow process! I applied Dec. 13th last year for renewal, and yesterday I sent them an email asking, "Should I be worried?" since the replacement still wasn't here! I got a reply this morning saying they were way behind, and that my CHL was approved to renew last week, and will arrive this week.
Total BS from my point of view. They could process these much faster, as most counties are much faster. I'll go in 60 days ahead of time on the next renewal, so I'm not stuck unarmed for 6 weeks!

Multnomah County
Submitted my application on 1/8/19
Just got my email for my appointment, its scheduled for 2/8/19 four weeks from today, then have to wait for them to mail it... Multnomah slow walks them. Its frustrating when 20 mins away in another county process can be a week or two instead of at least 2 months

Multnomah County told me they didn't do appointments. They said you simply walk in, take a number, and wait your turn. That's what they had me do anyway.

Multnomah County.
Turned in my application on 1/22/19 and just received my appointment email on 1/28/19.
Appointment is in a month 2/26/19.
Slow process indeed in this county even now in the winter time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top