JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would definitely be a justified shooting. With that being said I'm not carrying 2 guns.

This guy couldn't even carry and retain one.
hqdefault.jpg

What I have noticed with open carry folks are 1) They think it is a deterrent. 2) If ever in a situation, they think they are Doc Holliday and will get the jump on the other guy.

What I keep seeing… report after report of a open carrier being relieved of their gun.

Reality, open carry is like putting up a gun free zone sign, the bad guy still has the advantage, they know you have a gun before you are aware of them.

What I have noticed with open carry folks are 1) They think it is a deterrent. 2) If ever in a situation, they think they are Doc Holliday and will get the jump on the other guy.

What I keep seeing… report after report of a open carrier being relieved of their gun.

Reality, open carry is like putting up a gun free zone sign, the bad guy still has the advantage, they know you have a gun before you are aware of them.
The problem is they typically are oblivious to their surrounds and have zero weapon retention/H2H skills and scumbags can tell with one look.

The problem is they typically are oblivious to their surrounds and have zero weapon retention/H2H skills and scumbags can tell with one look.
Yup. If you're gunna open carry your presence better command respect.

Yep! How often do you see LEO's get relieved of their guns? The problem is not open carry.
It happens… off duty and on.

It happens… off duty and on.

EVERYTHING happens. People with a CC weapon get in trouble often too. The point is situational awareness. Many have none of it. Some of them I have known I often wondered how they survived life they were so bad at it. Far worse now as so many walk around staring at their phone and do not see ANYTHING going on around them. Open carry is not the problem with people who go through life with no clue what is going on around them LEO or not.

EVERYTHING happens. People with a CC weapon get in trouble often too. The point is situational awareness. Many have none of it. Some of them I have known I often wondered how they survived life they were so bad at it. Far worse now as so many walk around staring at their phone and do not see ANYTHING going on around them. Open carry is not the problem with people who go through life with no clue what is going on around them LEO or not.
Reading Left of Bang along with taking combat hunter in the Marine Corps was a great foundation in situational awareness, reading people, picking out abnormalities etc.

Principles I carry throughout my daily existence to this day.

89F4B2C3-FCE6-41D9-A4FD-F77A71BCDC4D.jpeg

I suspect he wasn't going to let his ego and 'attitudes' interfere with his bad decision to attempt to chase the guy down but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor - and the smarter move.
I agree with that comment...
What man wants to explain to friends, family and law enforcement that a teenager grabbed your loaded firearm and ran away while you were standing in line for donuts?
I imagine adrenaline kicked-in and the chase was on.

I do not like blaming victims no matter how poor their choices appear in hindsight, it attempts to remove some of the blame from the thief / murderer who is 100% at fault. However, there are multiple lessons to be learned here.

Reading Left of Bang along with taking combat hunter in the Marine Corps was a great foundation in , reading people, picking out abnormalities etc.

Principles I carry throughout my daily existence to this day.

View attachment 1372049
Situational awareness is first in line with Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense...alertness, decisiveness, aggressiveness, speed, coolness, ruthlessness and surprise.

Without it you're completely behind the curve and must be made up with the other principles, which can be very difficult if not impossible.

I took a defensive shooting class from a retired LEO back in the late eighties. This was right after the Tueller "21-foot rule" became popular. That was the first place I heard the adage - "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

But the thing that really stuck with me from that training was when the instructor said something to the effect of, "survival is a matter of small things - inches, ounces and seconds."

That really stuck with me over the years.

About 5 years ago I switched from an open-top to a thumb-break retention strap of the same model of leather holster (DeSantis Minislide) I've been carrying for a decade now.

The first time my son-in-law saw me pull my EDC at the range from the retention strap holster instead of my open-top model he was used to seeing me carry, he teased me by asking if I was afraid the gun was going to fall out of my holster.

I explained that I had a realization that as I was getting older, gun-grabbing perps were now 1/2 my age instead of only 5 or 10 years younger than me. Meaning that they are most likely faster and stronger than me.

I wanted an additional factor in play that could delay a perp's attempt to get my weapon in the event that I was physically attacked and the perp felt the firearm under my untucked shirt (I carry OWB at 3 o'clock). If their first attempt to pull it free is thwarted that could give me a second or two to fight him off, spin away, break free, use my tactical pen, draw and fire from low-close retention, etc.

If I can delay an attempt to take my EDC by even 1 second, it can significantly increase my odds for survival. So, I switched to the retention strap design and train with it as well.

I agree with most everything else folks have said: carry positions, situational awareness, etc.

I just thought I'd add this perspective which has had a signifiant impact on me for the past 35 years, and resulted in me significantly changing my EDC holster design.

Cheers.

Situational awareness is top priority but are there other awareness factors that may also be above situational awareness. Such as knowing if a place, event, city, store, crowded places, neighborhood etc. etc. is or is not a good place to exercise open carry?

Appendix carry fixes most the issues in regards to your gun getting snatched (I know people are uncomfortable carrying this way).

Situational awareness obviously comes first. Have a baseline so you can pick out the abnormalities. And do your best to blend in. Avoid things/carry methods/clothing/stickers/patches/and an attitude that will make you a target.

Situational awareness is first in line with Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense...alertness, decisiveness, aggressiveness, speed, coolness, ruthlessness and surprise.

Without it you're completely behind the curve and must be made up with the other principles, which can be very difficult if not impossible.
Violence of action.

Not long ago, there were videos online of old white guys being stopped by people standing in the street (sometimes in a residential area), and then being dragged from their vehicle and beaten.

I'm pretty sure the possibility of that kind of experience wasn't even on their radar when they got behind the wheel that day. Strange days in the good old USA.

Even for those of us who have at least a little bit of situational awareness, that kind of thing would be surprising.

Regarding open vs concealed carry - there might be times when open carry is a benefit (during war, for example), but I don't know if there's a compelling reason for OC when we're going to a donut shop.

Last Edited:
Not long ago, there were videos online of old white guys being stopped by people standing in the street (sometimes in a residential area), and then being dragged from their vehicle and beaten.

I'm pretty sure the possibility of that kind of experience wasn't even on their radar when they got behind the wheel that day. Strange days in the good old USA.

Even for those of us who have at least a little bit of situational awareness, that kind of thing would be surprising.

Regarding open vs concealed carry - there might be times when open carry is a benefit (during war, for example), but I don't know if there's a compelling reason for OC when we're going to a donut shop.
When I drive and have no passengers my passenger seat gets pushed all the way up to the dash. Making it very difficult for someone to jump in. Doors stay locked at all times. Windows up with the possibility of a minor crack at the top.

Sadly humanity has me to the point I don't stop for anyone. Plenty of traps set up. If something stands out to me my cover garment is cleared and seatbelt immediately comes off.

America is deteriorating rapidly and it's on us to protect ourselves and the ones we love.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top