JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not if you know how to manipulate them. Criminals aren't stupid.
I have a police retention holster for my Beretta. Even with a lot of practice and the holster on my hip it is not that easy to get the motion down for a quick draw. Different retention holsters have different procedures for drawing the weapon from them and they are usually setup to be drawn from one specific angle. If you don't have a lot of experience with the specific holster you are going to have a tough time getting the gun out of any specific retention holster.

A smart criminal will know better than to try to get a pistol off of an officers hip. Only a stupid criminal would try to do so.

Try pulling a gun off of an officers hip sometime... I think you will have an unpleasant surprise!

Last Edited:
I have a police retention holster for my Beretta. Even with a lot of practice and the holster on my hip it is not that easy to get the motion down for a quick draw. Different retention holsters have different procedures for drawing the weapon from them and they are usually setup to be drawn from one specific angle. If you don't have a lot of experience with the specific holster you are going to have a tough time getting the gun out of any specific retention holster.

A smart criminal will know better than to try to get a pistol off of an officers hip. Only a stupid criminal would try to do so.

Try pulling a gun off of an officers hip sometime... I think you will have an unpleasant surprise!
Most cops carry in a Safariland level 3 retention holsters. And yes I can promise you I could take a gun off a LEO if I wanted to. Not every cop. But it wouldn't be hard to pick out some soup sandwich/complacent cop. When you can walk up to a cop from behind and be within distance of grabbing the gun you know there's a problem.

Just gotta pick out the right one. Sh!t uniform. Fat. Wrinkled clothes. Loose belt. Face buried in their phone. Etc.

Obviously I'm not going to do that but it could be done for anyone with some experience on the same holster.

We used to remove each others magazines before going out on shift (yes we would give them back). If you got any gear taken off your person including the magazine from your pistol you had to pay the man.

Pain retains.

Last Edited:
Not all perps look like perps.

Situational awareness only works when behavior causes you to be more alert which is not always the case.

The perp could be completely normal looking scoping out the situation themselves, and zeroing in on you because you are open carrying and before you even know something is wrong they're already on you.

…but I don't know if there's a compelling reason for OC when we're going to a donut shop.
There's restaurant in Post Falls Idaho (Dueling Irons) that offers a 10% discount to customers who open carry. I tend to think of Idaho being a bit less lawless than WA and therefore more amenable to open carry, but still, is saving a buck or two off your cheeseburger worth your life?

Depends on the cheeseburger, I guess.

Still, I'll stick with CC and pay the extra bucks. On that note, I need to renew my Idaho Enhanced Permit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top