JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe not all but the time I spend helping out behind the counter at an FFL, I see a lot of what people get and can put my hands on many. Size of a primary or a backup is not a huge concern to me, I look for function and feel first.

I usually lookup reviews of firearms and such before buying...

I have fully learned my lesson, although I would think of myself as knowledgeable and mistake free when considering my next concealed carry option. . . . .
Anybody? . . . Good, your paying attention to what your reading. I pondered on the famous back up carry option of many Oregonian, the Glock 26. I started off my glock passion on the Glock 19 gen 4.
Dreaming of what my days could be with a 26 model, I watched videos and read discussions of glocks proud oeners.
6 years past. I decided on the 26gen 5, following the glock 19 generation I brought my knowledge to the table and bought my first 26 gen 5. In the following weeks I figured out the gen 5 is the heaviest generation when it speaking of the model 26 Glock.

@ny similar experience or frustration when determining concealed carry options.

Thanks for your time.
The G26 & 27 were insanely accurate when I was Rangemaster in the 90's and really liked them. Now days I carried either a SW642 or G43X depending on what I am doing. The 9mm round has come a long way with the new bullets being produced by G9 and Underwood ammo and wish SW would chamber the 642 in 9mm. I have not forgotten the lesson of having only six rounds in my duty revolver and making every round count and not just firing a bunch of rounds down range. This being stated I feel 11 rounds in my G43X plus a mag is good enough. I do carry the Underwood Extreme Defender in my 38 and 9mm.
1702665877172.jpeg

The G26 & 27 were insanely accurate when I was Rangemaster in the 90's and really liked them. Now days I carried either a SW642 or G43X depending on what I am doing. The 9mm round has come a long way with the new bullets being produced by G9 and Underwood ammo and wish SW would chamber the 642 in 9mm. I have not forgotten the lesson of having only six rounds in my duty revolver and making every round count and not just firing a bunch of rounds down range. This being stated I feel 11 rounds in my G43X plus a mag is good enough. I do carry the Underwood Extreme Defender in my 38 and 9mm.
View attachment 1782426
That's a really weird Phillips screw driver bit.

View attachment 1782426
What's the recoil like running those Underwood's in a 642? Thinking it'll be kinda snappy…

I don't believe I know everything about anything, I do know some stuff about somethings however.
You reminded me of something

"We the unwilling work for the unknowing, we do the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. "

Or something like that….. I googled it probably 20 years after I read it off of a sticker on a bandsaw in wood shop. It's a real quote from someone. Just too lazy to look again.

You reminded me of something

"We the unwilling work for the unknowing, we do the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. "

Or something like that….. I googled it probably 20 years after I read it off of a sticker on a bandsaw in wood shop. It's a real quote from someone. Just too lazy to look again.
Couldn't resist looking this up…

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Konstantin Josef Jireček

he S&W M&P 380 EZ that my wife has gets great reviews, however just this week the female firearms instructor on YouTube with the red hair and big b00bs gave it a do not recommend after all but 2 of her students experienced at least one failure to fire in a class due to the grip safety not being completely depressed.
Fixed it for you
...however just this week the female firearms instructor (WHO SHOULD NOT BE TEACHING ANYONE) on YouTube with the red hair and...
(Sarcasm...I do not know enough about this person to make this judgment.)

I've talked about this before and it makes me want to scream. Another popular (popular does not = good) YouTuber talked about this being a grip strength issue. It is not. It is about teaching people how to properly grip a handgun. In my wife's shooting groups, there are literally dozens of these guns in use. One time I had eight shooters on the line ALL OF THEM with S&W EZ series guns and guess what? None of them had issues (because my bride and her team are good instructors...okay, bragging a little).

Yes, if you leave a gap between your hand and the gun might it not engage the grip safety. But if you do this on any other gun you are going to allow wicked muzzle flip...teach people how to hold a gun properly and this is not an issue. Sometimes when a new shooter shows up with one it might happen a few times until they learn a proper grip. But if they had another gun it would be swinging toward the sky after every shot anyway. Of course, there are some people that this gun is not an exceptionally good fit for...just like every other gun.

What I hate is when people, ESPECIALLY people who put themselves out as instructors, disparage a gun, a company, or some other product because of their faults. It is fine to have a preference or to point out likes and dislikes and the 'why' behind them (and not just parrot the other person on the interwebs). But blanket "bad product" statements, well, put me on rants like this.

I found and watched their video on the EZ and racking slides (presuming we are talking about the same redhead). They (there is another male in the video) state they are not bashing the gun, before kinda bashing it, but don't address the issue of proper grip. They then go into saying a better gun for a small female is a 5" M&P. Well, sure, as a range gun, but many people out there can't just buy all the guns they want. You can buy one EZ, have enjoyable range sessions and when you are ready, carry the same gun. BTW, as an internal hammer (not striker fired) gun, the triggers on these are fantastic. The duo does make many good points that I completely agree with but just disagree with their premise that it is a solution (EZ to rack) to a rare problem. I've worked with enough people with low hand and grip strength and with other issues to know that the problem does in fact exist.

Sorry, pretty ranty, but it just bugs me when we eat our own in the form bashing because of preference.
What's up with her grip? There's like a half inch of empty space between the top of her hand and the beaver tail.
And that would be a problem.

The extended family went to the outdoor range on Saturday and I decided to test the Redhead's theory. After the rest of us had some fun with the Sig P322, I had my wife bring her 380 EZ to the shooting table, clear it and load a mag of ball range ammo. I had an IPSC steel target at 30 feet and told her to "Shoot the bad guy". She put the green laser in the center of the target and hit in the center. Shots 2 & 3 went low. "OK stop. You are anticipating recoil and dipping your muzzle before the shot brakes. Try again, slowly." Miss. "Did you see how the laser traveled down the target before you were done pulling the trigger? Keep aiming and maintain the dot in the center throughout the trigger pull." Hit, hit, hit, hit.

She went through several magazines and kept getting hits. She got our daughter-in -law to shoot it, but got mixed up explaining the function to her. My wife was telling her that the backstrap activated the laser and the laser pressure switch was the safety. I got them both straightened out. My son enjoyed the laser and was using it to hip fire the 380 EZ on steel.

@ny similar experience or frustration when determining concealed carry options.
To answer the OP's questions - 👆..... No - not my experience with my concealed carry firearms. (But everyone's experience is different.)

Reason is probably that when I bought a CC firearm, tried it out and it didn't work, I sold it and moved on to the next one.

After carrying a G26.3 for almost 20 years I tried five different carry guns when the micro-9's made their debut between 2014 and 2019. Tried a Smith, a Sig, two Glocks and a Springfield. If I didn't like it, I sold it and tried the next one (some of the members here have some of my micro-9's).

Easy-peasy. Recouped most of my cost, put the money into the next one and kept going until I landed on my current CC firearm (on the fifth try) and have stuck with it now for 4 years. And had fun while I was doing that.

Now, if you want to talk FRUSTRATION - holsters are another story. 😬😵

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews