JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So to recap.

ORS 166.250 says it's a crime (unlawful possession of firearms) if someone conceal carry any firearms on their person..
And also that a firearm openly carried in a belt holster is not concealed within the meaning of the particular section/Statute...

But ORS 166.260 says that 166.250 does not apply to, or affect a list of people including concealed handgun license holders,
licensed hunters, fishers going to their things, merchants, active/retired LEOs, people summoned in duty as peace officers (posse), active/reserve military, public health services (when detailed by military/navy?), organizations authorized to purchase firearms,and duly authorized military/civil organizations while parading or when members going to places of meeting for these organizations, also shooting club members when going to or from ranges for purposes of target shooting.

So to recap.

ORS 166.250 says it's a crime (unlawful possession of firearms) if someone conceal carry any firearms on their person..
And also that a firearm openly carried in a belt holster is not concealed within the meaning of the particular section/Statute...

But ORS 166.260 says that 166.250 does not apply to, or affect a list of people including concealed handgun license holders,
licensed hunters, fishers going to their things, merchants, active/retired LEOs, people summoned in duty as peace officers (posse), active/reserve military, public health services (when detailed by military/navy?), organizations authorized to purchase firearms,and duly authorized military/civil organizations while parading or when members going to places of meeting for these organizations, also shooting club members when going to or from ranges for purposes of target shooting.
But it's illegal in Washington to have a loaded long gun. So.... There's that....

So.... You don't have anything that says you can't conceal a long gun or SBR with a CHL in Oregon?
In support of what solvent is saying, everything I have seen, including the references to OR laws by solvent and camodeafie in many of the above posts going back to page 1, does not preclude concealing a firearm if you have a CHL.

Also in this legislative brief from 2012 they say "firearms" (not handguns) in relation to concealed carryon your person. In contrast they say "handgun" in relation to concealed and accessible in vehicle. So that tells me they would have said "handgun", not "firearm", if they meant handgun only.
jfdsadpiojfjiosd.jpg
And here it is form ORS:
ookpoko.jpg

This Oregon not Washington :s0143: :s0037: :s0037: :s0037: :s0013: :s0064: I have yet to find any corrobating ORS that says a CHL holder is restricted to concealed carry of handguns since again, ORS 166.260 states that ORS166.250 does not apply to CHL holders.
CHL is a concealed handgun license in Oregon. It's in the name of the permission slip.

So given such, we wouldn't conceal anything other than a handgun.

That's me & mine.

Other folks can do as they wish. Rifle, shotgun, machine gun, AOW, DD, bow, sword:..have at it

CHL is a concealed handgun license in Oregon. It's in the name of the permission slip.

So given such, we wouldn't conceal anything other than a handgun.

That's me & mine.

Other folks can do as they wish. Rifle, shotgun, machine gun, AOW, DD, bow, sword:..have at it
Right. But again.. like I've noted... in places like Portland, Eugene, Salem, and so on... open carry of any firearms seems to be limited to those who have CHLs... and otherwise, it also seems that open carry of rifles and shotguns may be prohibited to those who don't qualify for the ORS 166.260 list of exceptions/exempt people, if indeed it is "unlawful" to openly carry rifles and shotguns due to them not having belt holsters :rolleyes:

But.. I've not heard of any actual prosecution for simple open carry of slung long arms by people without CHLs outside the big three cities. Brandishing/"at low ready"; possibly.

And again, other than the name in the title, I can't seem to find any ORS that specifically says a CHL only covers the carry of handguns, either openly or concealed?

I mean.. how can ORS 166.250 be applied to those in ORS 166.260 when both clearly states that 166.250 doesn't apply to CHL holders? That's probably the big question and worth calling the issuing Sheriff about.

Edit. It's likely a person with a CHL cannot be legally charged with violating ORS 166.250.

Well if you call the Sheriff in your County that issues the CHLs, you could get either a clear answer or no real answer :s0135: :s0084:
Unfortunately, law enforcement is probably not the best resource for legal guidance. How many times have people been arrested and then have the charges dropped because they weren't actual violations, or were stretching the letter and/or intent of the law? Even if you ask 3 lawyers, you're likely to get 5 opinions, none of which are guaranteed to be the correct interpretation.

Unfortunately, law enforcement is probably not the best resource for legal guidance. How many times have people been arrested and then have the charges dropped because they weren't actual violations, or were stretching the letter and/or intent of the law? Even if you ask 3 lawyers, you're likely to get 5 opinions, none of which are guaranteed to be the correct interpretation.
Yup. Just good to confirm which Sheriff would have your back ;) if one tells you that you cannot conceal carry anything except a handgun as a license holder, then that tells you that in their jurisdiction you shouldn't. If they tell you yeah you can conceal any firearm as long as you're licensed to conceal carry a handgun, then that tells you what you could do in that jurisdiction.

Personally, I have been looking for holsters for the various PDWs out there, without much success ...
You, Sir, are about to find out how Kydex works.
I would build it to strong side, clamshell opening to the front, single point lanyard attached to the forward portion of the shoulder loop. Because of the size and weight of the PDW I'd use two thinner thicknesses of Kydex with piano wire reinforcement of the clamshell opening. Nitinol wire is also an option. Arrange the release so that it takes a short bit of vertical movement to clear enough of the holster to draw to low ready.

If in doubt refer to a photo of the Bianchi X15 holster as this was the inspiration. Just make it out of Kydex and insert the PDW backwards into a left-hand holster, ie, magazine facing the rear.

The original was pre-preg carbon fiber with wire reinforcement covered in various leather scraps.

Yes, the 20 round magazine prints no matter what. You're carrying a short AR pattern and you're worried about printing?

The lanyard was added after a number of retention during deploy fails in training. Embarrassing, complete, throw the weapon on the ground in front of you, fails.

Weight is balanced in the usual way with magazines carried horizontally under the weak shoulder.

So how does all this work? I wouldn't have a clue. You actually think I'd go out into the world with a concealed midget AR and 80 rounds of soft point? What are you thinking?

Sbrs come in all shapes and sizes. Never understood why some people think sbr = only a buffered AR with short barrel. A few examples:

2F1A4720-F16D-4EA9-A2B8-E6ECF96721B9.jpeg 998A533E-B8CB-4F8C-B14E-CAA2E3D6E46B.jpeg 10F373DC-36A1-4E9D-93C9-F863C560B3FB.jpeg 1E8B970A-B5D3-4202-B7F4-03D8BE8B6F48.jpeg AE5E3223-4D10-4297-AAE3-ECF4C2A54D7F.png

Last Edited:
You, Sir, are about to find out how Kydex works.
I would build it to strong side, clamshell opening to the front, single point lanyard attached to the forward portion of the shoulder loop. Because of the size and weight of the PDW I'd use two thinner thicknesses of Kydex with piano wire reinforcement of the clamshell opening. Nitinol wire is also an option. Arrange the release so that it takes a short bit of vertical movement to clear enough of the holster to draw to low ready.

If in doubt refer to a photo of the Bianchi X15 holster as this was the inspiration. Just make it out of Kydex and insert the PDW backwards into a left-hand holster, ie, magazine facing the rear.

The original was pre-preg carbon fiber with wire reinforcement covered in various leather scraps.

Yes, the 20 round magazine prints no matter what. You're carrying a short AR pattern and you're worried about printing?

The lanyard was added after a number of retention during deploy fails in training. Embarrassing, complete, throw the weapon on the ground in front of you, fails.

Weight is balanced in the usual way with magazines carried horizontally under the weak shoulder.

So how does all this work? I wouldn't have a clue. You actually think I'd go out into the world with a concealed midget AR and 80 rounds of soft point? What are you thinking?
What? I'm sure Secret Service ought to have boxes of those things, made by a favored supplier. I just want a little drip out of that pipeline.

Make my own? You have heard, I'm sure, the old saw that a camel is a horse designed by committee - hand me a couple sheets of Kydex and a heat gun and a camel would look sleek and streamlined compared to the trash I would emit!

Today my wife and I were discussing 'paranoid husband stories' with some long time friends. Were I to save up my Christmas money and actually get a PDW, I bet I'd get a story even to friends not gun-friendly. Kydex would be an Occasion of Sin.

If it's Ixnay to CC an SBR in OR with a CHL, you are SOL.
We can't really know :rolleyes:

After all... ORS 166.260 says ORS 166.250 doesn't apply or affect Oregon CHL holders... but nowhere else does it say that OR CHL holders cannot conceal carry anything but a handgun :rolleyes:

Edit, put this way; my driver's license doesn't restrict me to only drive a vehicle registered to me, I can drive any vehicle within the limitations of the license (what class the license is), on any public road. I can also use other methods of transports like a pedal bicycle/tricycle/ quadcycle in some areas; scooters.

Last Edited:
We can't really know :rolleyes:

After all... ORS 166.260 says ORS 166.250 doesn't apply or affect Oregon CHL holders... but nowhere else does it say that OR CHL holders cannot conceal carry anything but a handgun :rolleyes:

Edit, put this way; my driver's license doesn't restrict me to only drive a vehicle registered to me, I can drive any vehicle within the limitations of the license (what class the license is), on any public road. I can also use other methods of transports like a pedal bicycle/tricycle/ quadcycle in some areas; scooters.
Your driver's license doesn't allow you to drive a motorcycle. Your CHL doesn't allow you to carry a rifle.

This is a ridiculous legal theory you have. No one buys it.

Your driver's license doesn't allow you to drive a motorcycle. Your CHL doesn't allow you to carry a rifle.

This is a ridiculous legal theory you have. No one buys it.
Portland, Salem, Eugene all says you can't openly carry any loaded firearm unless you have a CHL.

So. A CHL allows one to openly carry any loaded firearm in some Cities.

Again, there is nothing saying that a CHL is limited to carry only handguns, beyond the name of the license.

Also, I can rent and drive a dirt bike or ATVs off highway/public roads in specific places without a motorcycle endorsement :rolleyes:

And if you want to be specific, it looks like ORS 166.250 also says you cannot openly carry a rifle or shotgun if they are not in belt holster, unless you are one of the people listed in ORS 166.260 whom it doesn't apply or affect .

Simple argument the DA will win with. "Concealed HANDGUND License". It is quite literally in the legal name of the license. Laws were written to allow people with one additional protections and abilities, these are written as exceptions.
Your legal case would end up in the favor of the prosecutor simply by showing the full name of CHL and SBR and explaining that a rifle is not a handgun. Neither is a shotgun nor an other or a destructive device.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads