JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
one of the most practical vehicles is one I already own... Ford one ton extended van with Powerstroke. Fuel range nearly six hundred on a tank, with a few mods I can burn lots of other stuff.... industrial white, blends in along with hundreds of other plain-jane rigs. 20 mpg at a civilised highway cruise. Loads of room inside....

if I could choose anything else, it would be a late 1970'searly '80's Mercedes Gelandewagen... 3 litre turbodiesel, full four wheel selective with selectable interaxle lockers, they deliver close to 20 mpg and burn nearly any oil like substance.

a more esoteric choice would be an Series II-A LandRover with diesel. Harder to find spares for it, but you rarely need them. Not fussy about what it burns, either.

trouble is, those last two are a bit on the "sore thumb" side of things... I'd stand out anywhere. that Ford van simply melts into the backdrop. Does not stand out at all.

Failing usability of roads, I'd settle for my road tandem bike.. yes, a pushbike. Ive got panniers and racks for it, and can pile on seventy pounds of kit and still cruise at a decent speed...I've done several days 100+ miles on roads, fully loaded, and lived to tell the tale. Gets too rough, can push, or even carry. Never needs fuel (though I burn a bit more when I'm riding seriously....) and not too likely to attract undue attention should "government protective measures" ever be invoked. Some old guy on a bike? Nothing to worry about. Given a bit of time, I can cover very long distances. Done six hundred in a week, fully loaded down. When there is NO fuel available, human power is reliable and functional.

Living near the water, as I do, a boat of some sort might be practical, but then, a nosey government may well be all over restricting such forms of travel as "suspicious". depending on how bad they get, it may be a good option. Sea kayak ("freighter" style), perhaps rigged for sail, maybe a smaller sailboat. Wind power, even here in the fickle Pacific Northwet, is functional. A big enough boat, you can live on it. Fish usually are available for the trying. Keep it rather on the smaller side, not many would suspect me of trying to escape the clutches of a government gone barmy with control/power. Somewhere between about 27 and 40 feet, older is less desirable to others, less likely to be viewed as an escape capsule.

Unimog, whichever model I could get my hands on before they went to the 437 series which has a few more electronics. Ideally a U1300 or U1700. I'm probably a year away from getting one. They go all over the world, require no parts and can be fixed by bushmen in the middle of the sahara with a pair of plyers and some duct tape.

But all the money you spend on them fancy bov will only last till the gas guage hits empty then you will be walkin with all that gear on your back.You would be smarter and go farther on a grass eating water drinking horse and a pack mule.Unless you plan on becoming mad max and there will be plenty of those are for sure.

My SHTF vehicle is my 74 chev 4x4 for the following reasons:

--Reliable and simple to fix when it does break down.
--100000000000000000000000 of them and similar models made, so parts can be found anywhere.
--No computer controlled anything.
--Heavy duty drivetrain(carbed 350, th350, np205, dana 44, Gm corp 14 bolt FF out back).
--33" tires and two spares. 33 inches willl get you most places without stressing the drivetrain like 36/38+ tires.
--Two batteries with an isolator between them.
--LSD rear, lockers up front with part time kit.
--Winch
--Toolbox in bed containing tools and tons of spare parts(starter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, belts, hoses, fluids, 5 gallons of water, 2 gallons of coolant, hose clamps, u joints, tie-rods, shock, hi-lift jack, come-along, 75 ' chain and 100 feet of tow strap, first aid kit, survival kit, tarps, rope, electric air pump, tire repair kit, etc).
--I know how most everything works and how to troubleshoot/replace most things that could go wrong.

I've been considering getting an 80s toyota 4x4 instead as they are a bit more capable off road and get better milage, but I've so much time and effort invested in the old chevy I just can't bring myself to do it ;-)

Edit: Or, as others have already mentioned--a horse. Trouble is, I don't have a horse nor do I currently have a living situation that would allow for one.

I think aside from the vehicle I escape in, the route I take will be as important. From where you live, what direction would you go? Back roads, then onto dirt roads could be the best bet. Locked gates on forest roads would be a bigger obstacle. Don't forget bolt cutters as your #1 tool.

Many forest roads have gates with a shield designed for the lock. Bolt cutters would be useless. Many of them have been designed to thwart someone being able to cut, shoot, or burn the lock out.

For the forest roads traveller, a chainsaw might be a better #1 tool.

Also, a horse is a nice idea, but if you're not prepared to be your own equine vet and farrier, you might start training now. One incorrect hoof trimming can lame a horse for life. Also, many might be surprised at how little a horse can carry. To carry all the rifles and crap some of you guys routinely list as priority items (easy boys, I dream up the same ridiculous lists), you'll need a pack string.

Forest gate? No problem, just amend the Unimog statement to ''Unimog with winch''

Add some long range tanks to this and you got 1400 miles of range, it runs on whatever crap diesel you can put in it including the 3rd world stuff. And since its an ex firetruck, pretty sure carrying a few hundred gallons of water would be no problem an still have plenty of room for food, guns, ammo etc.

unimog6.jpg

90 Jeep YJ
Carb small block chevy 350 hp
pulling a high clerance trailer
family of four all locked and loaded!
Only if we need to leave, take our bike with us.
th_IMG_0323.jpg

Last Edited:
Regarding minimal electronics.

Assuming you are prepping against EMP or other scenario where electronics get fried - wouldn't a spare car battery and starter be enough to get most modern vehicles running? Of course you'd expect to keep such spares in a faraday cage or other protected storage.

I think there's a difference between a "bug out vehicle" and a post-apocalyptic daily driver. A BOV just needs to get you from A to B reliably - one time. Anything beyond is a bonus. That distance could be up to a couple thousand miles, but maintenance wouldn't be an issue, aside from a break down en route.

I have a 1987 Mitsubishi Montero, converted to diesel with no electronics. Gets me 27mpg and will run on just about anything, including straight veggie oil or waste motor oil. Plenty capable. I also have a factory air locker rear to put into it for a bit better traction.

My daily driver is a FZJ80 Landcruiser with locking front & rear differentials. I can fit the whole family into it plus a lot of stuff. Yes, it has a computer and gets poor gas mileage, but it is very capable offroad and on.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top