JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've destroyed many watches over the years. This one is 3 years and going strong.

Omega Planet Ocean Seamaster Pro.

20230712_164216~01~01.jpg

Seiko solar powered less than 3 benji's. Bought it 7 or 8 years ago. Wear it 24/7/365. Backpacking, diving, traveling, working, digging ditches, and making the beast with two backs. It's always on my wrist. If it quits, I'll buy another. 20230712_205412.jpg

Last Edited:
My $15 Casio won't die no matter how hard I try to kill it. I'm not fancy enough for a G-Shock or silly enough to buy a Rolex.
So, you are silly if you buy a Rolex? Why would that be, pray tell?

So, you are silly if you buy a Rolex? Why would that be, pray tell?
I had a used Rolex Explorer at one time, I lucked out and found it at an estate sale for $400. Good watch, but it didn't do anything special and I'm a cheap SOB. It's silly because MOST folks can't afford a $5k+ piece of jewelry but buy them anyway to keep up with the Jones'. As an investment to the savvy collector, sure. As a working person's timepiece, no way.

If I won the lottery, a new Rolex would still be last on the list. I guess I'm not a watch guy 🤷 Heck, I refill empty Dawn bottles and shake them for a month to get every last blue molecule before buying another container, and use the discarded bottle as parts storage.

I had a used Rolex Explorer at one time, I lucked out and found it at an estate sale for $400. Good watch, but it didn't do anything special and I'm a cheap SOB. It's silly because MOST folks can't afford a $5k+ piece of jewelry but buy them anyway to keep up with the Jones'. As an investment to the savvy collector, sure. As a working person's timepiece, no way.

If I won the lottery, a new Rolex would still be last on the list. I guess I'm not a watch guy 🤷
OTOH, I admire a fine, expertly crafted automatic chronometer, Rolexes in particular.
I wear mine rather often, not day-to-day, but several times/week, but I sure wish I knew where I could get a Rollie for only $5,000...
And for me, it ain't about "keeping up with the Joneses" (cuz the Joneses are broke), I just like a really fine watch. Phuq the Joneses...

OTOH, I admire a fine, expertly crafted automatic chronometer, Rolexes in particular.
I wear mine rather often, not day-to-day, but several times/week, but I sure wish I knew where I could get a Rollie for only $5,000...
And for me, it ain't about "keeping up with the Joneses" (cuz the Joneses are broke), I just like a really fine watch. Phuq the Joneses...
Haha. More power to those that like a fine watch, I'm just constantly covered in grease, auto trans fluid, paint, or Ballistol and would ruin it quickly. I think you can get an Explorer for about $6k, but they're not a Submariner. I knew I should've stuck to mechanical engineering instead of dropping down to the lower rung with those that prefer their physics to be stationary ;)

Haha. More power to those that like a fine watch, I'm just constantly covered in grease, auto trans fluid, paint, or Ballistol and would ruin it quickly. I think you can get an Explorer for about $6k, but they're not a Submariner. I knew I should've stuck to mechanical engineering instead of dropping down to the lower rung with those that prefer their physics to be stationary ;)
I guess I have a pretty clean profession, by comparison... I only get dirty on the weekends, and only by choice.
Mine's a champagne Oyster Perpetual Datejust, I'm guessing that's about 2.5X the cost of the Explorer...

I guess I have a pretty clean profession, by comparison... I only get dirty on the weekends, and only by choice.
Mine's a champagne Oyster Perpetual Datejust, I'm guessing that's about 2.5X the cost of the Explorer...
I'm a civvie too, but preferred the testing/QAQC aspect of the work... especially soil science. An office isn't for me but spent plenty of time at a cubicle before realizing it was slowly eroding my sanity. I'll never need to wear a collared shirt at work again and it's terrific.

I'm a civvie too, but preferred the testing/QAQC aspect of the work... especially soil science. An office isn't for me but spent plenty of time at a cubicle before realizing it was slowly eroding my sanity. I'll never need to wear a collared shirt at work again and it's terrific.
Interesting. A geotech/materials testing, then? I don't work in a office, either, unless you count my home as an "office". I've worked from home for years, not a cubicle, and haven't worn a collared shirt in many years before that. When I did work in an office, it was not a cubicle, but rather it was a corner office with windows on two walls, solid wood door, conference table/chairs, spacious, etc. It was a nice place to go during the day to get a little breather from the wife and kids (after they came along)... Also, I really love what I do for a living, so it never really occurred to me that what I was doing was ever actually "work" at all.

Last Edited:
Interesting. A geotech/materials testing, then? I don't work in a office, either, unless you count my home as an "office". I've worked from home for years, not a cubicle, and haven't worn a collared shirt in many years before that. When I did work in an office, it was not a cubicle, but rather it was a corner office with windows on two walls, solid wood door, conference table/chairs, spacious, etc. It was a nice place to go during the day to get a little breather from the wife and kids (after they came along)... Also, I really love what I do for a living, so it never really occurred to me that what I was doing was ever actually 'work" at all.
Very different experiences then! I had a dark corner but at least a few of my bridges made it beyond letting before I called it quits. I had near 4.0 but have always struggled with focus, especially when stationary. It was a struggle and I almost gave up until I found a different route. That's one of the great things about civil, many branches with many choices. Heck, I almost quit to go back to sandblasting but it was never fun finding grit in the nethers every evening!

Very different experiences then! I had a dark corner but at least a few of my bridges made it beyond letting before I called it quits. I had near 4.0 but have always struggled with focus, especially when stationary. It was a struggle and I almost gave up until I found a different route. That's one of the great things about civil, many branches with many choices. Heck, I almost quit to go back to sandblasting but it was never fun finding grit in the nethers every evening!
Very different, indeed! It wasn't always such a prim and proper existence, though, to be sure... Prior to returning to university to get my engineering degree, I spent several years riding about the country on my motorcycle, living out of a tent, with only two sets of clothes, making barely enough money to buy the next meal and tank of gas, and ingesting all manner of illegal and illicit substances. But I've always been a rather smart fella, a quick study, with a higher-than-normal IQ, so it was only a matter of time before I figured out that that sort of lifestyle was a complete and utter dead end. I returned to school after everyone I should have entered school with had already graduated (my classmates referred to me as the Resident Antique), but I made a go of it, and things seem to have worked out quite alright in the end. The past 30-odd years have been good to me. Only 3 or 4 more years and I'll call it quits, and retire to a quiet life in the forests of north central Idaho...

Very different, indeed! It wasn't always such a prim and proper existence, though, to be sure... Prior to returning to university to get my engineering degree, I spent several years riding about the country on my motorcycle, living out of a tent, with only two sets of clothes, making barely enough money to buy the next meal and tank of gas, and ingesting all manner of illegal and illicit substances. But I've always been a rather smart fella, a quick study, with a higher-than-normal IQ, so it was only a matter of time before I figured out that that sort of lifestyle was a complete and utter dead end. I returned to school after everyone I should have entered school with had already graduated, but I made a go of it, and things seem to have worked out quite alright in the end. Only 3 or 4 more years and I'll call it quits, and retire to a quiet life in the forests of north central Idaho...
See, I'm as dumb as a rock but stubborn as a mule... another difference. Good luck, that's certainly one of my favorite places too.

My $15 Casio won't die no matter how hard I try to kill it. I'm not fancy enough for a G-Shock and it would silly of me to buy a Rolex.

Edited as to not offend those who have expensive wrists.
When I first started diving my walk around watch was a $7-10 Casio digital watch. Cheapest thing I could get. Flat black plastic case and a flat plastic face. Squared off numbers appeared on the screen using short black hash marks. They still sell a current model of that watch for something like $10-12US. It was marked water resistent. Accidentally dove with the watch one day. It held up so I did it again....and again. That was my dive watch for a couple of years. PNW and the Caribbean. Can't believe it held up. I did get some funny looks from time to time. Replaced it with a Tag on one trip to Grand Cayman. High cost purchase for me at the time. That turned out to be a complete piece of crap. Wound up launching the Tag off the back of the boat on a subsequent trip to Cayman.

Last Edited:
I have worn almost nothing but Casio G-Shock watches, since the late 80s for work and "field" environments. They were rather "expensive" in the 80s and 90s (of course I was relatively poor back then, lol) but nowadays they are just a "drop in the bucket" for cost versus durability, and I usually get at least five years out of one.
This is my m.o. as well. Recently upgraded to a full metal 2100 series. Great watches.

Story Time.

My co workers and I were sitting around. We were on coffee break, talking about wrist watches. Mind you that the Govt/Union contract only offered a reimbursement of like $90 should your wrist watch be damaged/destroyed while in the line of duty. So then.....the Lieutenant stood up then stuck his arm out to show off his brand new Rolex. He said that his newest GF had purchased it for him. One of the guys said, "Wow, that probably cost like $10 grand." My thought at the time was, "OMG, who would pay $10 grand for a wrist watch?" Anyway, probably.....some of the other guys were wondering......what exactly, did he have to do to get it? Yeah....the Lt. wasn't exactly an Adonis. Not to mention, that he was known to frequent the Korean hostess bar scene and it's the girls who usually get the "gifts" from customers. And mind you that not ALL of them look like K-Pop singers, either.

Hummm......

Then, one Sergeant stood up. He removed his wrist watch and threw it across the room, hitting the wooden door about 10-15' away. He went over, picked it up and examined it.

He exclaimed.....
"Yup, it's still working. Can your watch do that? Casio G-shock, $30."

Rrrrright....now THAT, was impressive (in my book).

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top