JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What diesel engines don't have any electronic controls of parts? (besides started and its silonod)

If their was a EMP of the dreaded mega solarflares it could be possible to blow out a electric fuel pump.

Hey bmgm37, there is one of those exactly like that forsale in laffyette. 9750 is what they want, its awesome. Wish I had the money. There's also a couple on craigslist that are bobbed. You can find a stock one for about 3-4k and do the work yourself for a couple grand, tires and wheels are the biggest part.

What diesel engines don't have any electronic controls of parts? (besides started and its silonod)

The general rule is mechanical fuel injection diesels don't have a computer. My Mitsubishi (and the earlier Dodge Cummins, and many early Toyota diesels, etc -- most before the early 90s) uses a single wire. When you make the wire hot, a solenoid opens allowing fuel into the motor. When the motor is cranked, the injector pump pulls fuel from the tank, pressurizes it, and pumps it into the motor. This is all mechanical. In the 90s, diesel motors started changing over to computer-controlled fuel injection, which (obviously) required a computer to control the injection pulse. Some diesels also added electric fuel pumps called "lift pumps".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine#Mechanical_and_electronic_injection

If their was a EMP of the dreaded mega solarflares it could be possible to blow out a electric fuel pump.

The GM 6.2 liter diesel in my K5 Blazer is fully-mechanical, except for the glow plugs and the starter of course. My Case trackloader is truly 100% mechanical - though only if you park it on a hill. ;) It's a 2-stroke diesel and has no glow plugs. On a diesel like the 6.2 in my Blazer, I wonder if you could get the intake air hot enough with a torch to light the engine off without power to the glow plugs? My trackloader has an electric heater plug in the intake to preheat the air for very cold starts. I've started it without the heater down to 30 degrees but it does start quicker at any temp if you get the manifold nice and hot first.

I'll still take my Unimog 404 if I need to do any bugging out. It's electrics are fully shielded to 'eliminate radio interference' but the story goes this was really done to make them EMP proof. I carry spares of everything electrical that's required for the ignition system in an ammo box anyway.

Can't you start diesels using ether instead of glow plugs?

Anyway, as someone said there's a big difference between a BOV and a post-apocalyptic DD...
78 KZ1000 will get me to my parents place in stayton and should be able to cut through traffic to get me down there in good time. Kick start if you need it and mechanical ignition. I even have extra coils and plugs on hand. Me and wife and my BOB fit and can go anywhere the roads do.
DSC00807.jpg

88 yota should get us around after the fact. Even has seats in the bed for gunners :)
DSC00834.jpg

These aren't dream vehicles either, this is what we've got, and what we can count on

My diesel Mitsubishi can start without the glow plugs. I didn't have the plugs set up for the first month or two after I converted it. Crank it, and if it is warm enough, it will start. If it is cold out, it takes longer. I've never tried to start it below freezing without the glow plugs, but it works in most circumstances.

I've never tried to use either instead of the plugs because simply cranking it has always been sufficient until I had my plugs set up.

I agree that an ambulance is a good idea. I think the most important part of bugging out is the "out". If you're trying to get through traffic or road blocks, you're more likely to make it if people think your an emergency crew on the job. The ambulance won't work very well if you're heading up some logging roads or accross creeks, but getting out of the urban area will be the most important part of the trip.

Its called a brick in. drain the oil and water start the engine and put a brick on the gas peddal. last car standing wins. make you bets and hope to win. they used to do it a the clark county fair. but I dont think they do it anymore.

My diesel Mitsubishi can start without the glow plugs. I didn't have the plugs set up for the first month or two after I converted it. Crank it, and if it is warm enough, it will start. If it is cold out, it takes longer. I've never tried to start it below freezing without the glow plugs, but it works in most circumstances.

I've never tried to use either instead of the plugs because simply cranking it has always been sufficient until I had my plugs set up.

did you do a conversion? or have it done? i'm looking at a montero for a daily driver, but would love to have a diesel under the hood.

any info would be appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads