JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good idea to replace every year as you suggest...
That goes for a number of things that would / could be in a EDC / emergency / survival kit;
Self-filled water bottles are only good for about 60 days. Any medications, perscription or OTC, should be inspected and changed out periodically. Food, meds, bandage, etc. packaging should be inspected and repackaged as appropriate. Open sterile products should be replaced or autoclaved and then repackaged. There's more, so look through you kits and figure it out.
As an example, I was once on a Strike Rescue training mission and got some bad bottled water in my survival vest. two days of the screamers, in flight gear, is no fun; trust me!

I haven't read all of the posts to this thread yet, but I am seeing a lot of recommendations for stuff that isn't going to fit into the buttstock of the rifle (e.g., IFAK), although it might fit into a pouch/etc. attached to the buttstock.

I have a philosophical approach to such kits; give priority to items that are needed for the primary item they go with - e.g., for a rifle, the kit should contain items that are primarily needed for the rifle - not necessarily items like a IFAK, or a compass, or a fishing kit - but rather a cleaning kit, a spare extractor, ammo, etc.

Also, reserve some of that to items that will take the rifle out of commission, are subject to wear/loss (ejector/extractor, springs, screws, etc.). I wouldn't go with a complete bolt assembly, but rather items inside it that might break. Larger items (like a bolt assembly) could/should be carried in a kit inside a pack, and would be optional depending on the scenario (bug out vs. routine patrol) and size/weight.
This…

I just can't imagine any situation where all I would have on me is a rifle with stuff in the buttock.

I would carry things in there that you might not think to take in a pack that you will most likely have with you.

If you don't have a go bag/hiking essential pack or whatever then that's what I would focus on.

I have pouches that can be swapped into different packs depending on the activity.

Honestly, if you are thinking you are going to be so stranded as to need to fish then you would be a lot better off with emergency rations or something in a pack.

Don't go out alone if you can avoid it. If you can't avoid it then buy a gps with an emergency call on it.

Still haven't seen what exactly this 'kit' is meant for other then adding weight to a rifle that could be stored in a way more ergonomic pack.

Some context to the above - I'm the guy that packs 3 of everything and more then I'll ever use so it's not like I'm bashing being prepared.

I'm mostly aiming for having a minor bushcraft/survival kit in the back of a WWSD build.
Stuff like a small knife/scissors, can opener, small parts for the rifle, whistle/signal, fire-starter, etc.
A small kit that could keep one alive while traveling fast and light, should you ever get separated from your main pack/base camp/satellite camp.🤓
Just hypothetical nerdy stuff...😅

Technically true, but not practically. I think it took me over 10 years to empty a Bic with moderate field use. This can be easily averted by replacing it every year or so whenever you go through and do maintenance to your gear.
I used a Scripto lighter every day this last fall/winter/spring, sometimes several times in a day (if I let the fire go out, or the first try didn't work well), to start a fire in my woodstove. I would say that is at least 200 times I used it. It still has about one tenth of its capacity left. IIRC, when I started using it this last fall it was 80-90% full.

The problem with most of these lighters is that they are fragile - the plastic tank is relatively easy to break, and since they are disposable they are not made to be robust. That said, they are light and small, so having several on your person and/or in your gear somewhere, is a good idea.

I also have wind/waterproof matches in a carrier, and ferrocerium rods with most of my fixed blade knives.

If someone was carrying such supplies, they should also carry some kind of waterproof tinder; extremely difficult to start a fire with the damp/green wood found in most PNW forests (unless you are lucky enough to find dry tinder or a cedar tree).

I just can't imagine any situation where all I would have on me is a rifle with stuff in the buttock.
Generally I try to push stuff out of my buttock orifice, not store things there, but to each their own.

you-pause-the-movie-at-this-exact-v0-e96ksobb01z91.jpg

I haven't read all of the posts to this thread yet, but I am seeing a lot of recommendations for stuff that isn't going to fit into the buttstock of the rifle (e.g., IFAK), although it might fit into a pouch/etc. attached to the buttstock.

I have a philosophical approach to such kits; give priority to items that are needed for the primary item they go with - e.g., for a rifle, the kit should contain items that are primarily needed for the rifle - not necessarily items like a IFAK, or a compass, or a fishing kit - but rather a cleaning kit, a spare extractor, ammo, etc.

Also, reserve some of that to items that will take the rifle out of commission, are subject to wear/loss (ejector/extractor, springs, screws, etc.). I wouldn't go with a complete bolt assembly, but rather items inside it that might break. Larger items (like a bolt assembly) could/should be carried in a kit inside a pack, and would be optional depending on the scenario (bug out vs. routine patrol) and size/weight.
He is going to need a bigger stock. That is why I invented this stock. Sorry it's for mil-spec tubes only right now.

20230517_150857.jpg

Hindsight from sixty years and much time in the outdoors:
The most used items were; Bandaids, Neosporlan, (useto be Mercurochrome,) mole skin when I was hiking.
But believe it or not; the most thankful and useful thing I have always made sure I never left home without, a sewing / button replacement kit!
While I have used many, many times to repair things like torn tie tabs on a back pack, stop leaking feathers from a torn down sleeping bag. But where I first found its usefulness was in 1960 to stitch up a nasty cut, 1 1/2" long on the knee I got trimming ship while sailing on Spirit lake Wa. Without it I would have had to leave to find someone to attend to it because every time I bent the knee the gap would widen 3/4 of an inch so would never heal that way. This would have ruined a two week outing.
Then again the in the mid 70's to stitch up my arm having torn a chunk open on a submerged limb after slipping on slimy rock while forging a creek in Eagle Cap.
So I vote for Sewing kit, disinfectant and Bandaids.

Personally I don't think I'm gonna find myself in a situation where all I have is a rifle. They are heavy enough adding a ton of crap doesn't make them easier to use or nicer to carry. I only carry things on my rifle that my rifle needs an extra set or two of CR123 for the light and a couple of extra 2032 for the scope, one original mini tub of grease with a small 3x3" cotton cloth and a couple medium zip ties.

What are you trying to survive?...
@Spec.-K is trying to survive running into a good bottle of wine, among other things. I approve.

Sometimes when I have had visitors to my plant breeding fields I've led them to the middle of a sweet corn patch where there are strategic gaps in a few rows so there is a small secret clearing containing comfy lawn chairs. Then my pack turns out to contain a couple of bricks of good cheese, A round of homemade cornbread, a couple of bottles of a good Oregon Pinot Gris, water, large size wine glasses, a cutting board, knife, and a bottle opener. We've picked sweet corn and Black Krim tomatoes and Sweet Slice cukes along the way while inspecting my plant breeding work. Makes for a glorious lunch. With a gun, a knife, a bottle opener, and good wine glasses we''re ready to deal optimally with the ordinarily very rare nasty surprises as well as the many delightful opportunities life offers us.

Properly shaped glass wine glasses really are required to get the best aroma/flavor from wine. You can wrap them in bubble wrap to carry them in a pack.

In my fantasy survival kit I'm gonna have a visa card and six pack of condoms.
The day I met the love of my life, my "Adirondack Mountain boy," it was a good thing I was on the pill. A six pack of condoms wouldn't have lasted beyond the first day.

The condoms represent the same thing as the wine glasses. As does the fact that I was on the pill in spite of having been uninterested in anyone for a couple of years.

Honestly not seeing a lot of value in an emergency kit being stored in the weapon itself. That's something you should carry on your person. You can lose your rifle (dropping it, falling into water, etc), but the odds of you losing your pants are much lower.

If I were loading stuff up in a rifle stock cavity, it would be equipment for operation and maintenance of that rifle - bore snake, cleaning supplies, spare parts, ammo, batteries for optic, etc. That way if you were to lose your rifle, you wouldn't also be missing key life-saving gear.

That being said, mounting a compact medical kit to the stock your rifle or to the sling may have value, if you don't mind the added bulk. I can see the benefit to having additional medical supplies on hand for rapid access with the rifle itself - if you need it quickly you don't have to dig for it, and it supplements the medical supplies you carry in your main kit.

Honestly not seeing a lot of value in an emergency kit being stored in the weapon itself. That's something you should carry on your person. You can lose your rifle (dropping it, falling into water, etc), but the odds of you losing your pants are much lower.

If I were loading stuff up in a rifle stock cavity, it would be equipment for operation and maintenance of that rifle - bore snake, cleaning supplies, spare parts, ammo, batteries for optic, etc. That way if you were to lose your rifle, you wouldn't also be missing key life-saving gear.
Agreed - for any equipment, the items that are useful for its operation should be the primary things attached to it, if anything.

Med kits would therefore be attached to one's body, not to a defensive/offensive weapon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top