JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.
I've been trying to come up with a kit to keep in the back of my survival rifle.
I'm wanting to add some fishing gear, and I'll have a paracord sling on it.

Included are some pics of things I've considered, but I'd like more suggestions.
Thanks.
-K

PXL_20220912_004658098.jpg PXL_20220912_010442413.jpg 20221112_113449.jpg

Maybe some bandaids for cuts or foot blisters.

I think it was on one of those Garand Thumb videos, that he mentioned he couldn't remember how many times while in the military, in the field someone would get a small cut but no one had a band aid.

You have an AR. Shoot the fish or near them, shock waves might be enough. If you're stuck on fishing, pack line, use gun as rod and hand as reel. Fishing line and barbless hooks can also work well to sew yourself up if needed!

An extra bolt might be good idea, but unless the one you have in the gun is a cheap unit, pass. You'll likely never shoot the gun in a survival situation and rounds are all but what's in hand, likely NOT enough to kill a bolt. Unless you think you're going to provide cover fire with indefinite amount of magazines, you'll never cook your bolt to point of failure.

Lighter runs on limited fuel, ferro rod lasts a lot longer, learn to use one. You could also pull a bullet and use powder with ferro in wet scenarios. Maybe a few compressed cotton balls with solvent soaked into them. Fire starter and gun oil/cleaner.

What you might need is some first aid stuff, I can't say what really, your body you figure it out. What ever you tend to damage the easiest or most often, get stuff for that.

Bore snake wouldn't hurt or a compact cleaner. Some pre soaked patches. Gun gets dirtier when you are in the wild and it spends more than a few hours out of a safe or case.

Ear plugs, so if you do have to shoot an animal, or fish, you don't deafen yourself doing so. Save your hearing and in doing so can hear that branch snap behind you in the woods.

A picture of someone you love. If you have this rifle out and are out and about with it, some stuff went down. Be nice to remind yourself why you don't use the gun in yourself as the world crumbles around you.

That's all I got for now!

1. Water filtration/treatment of your choice.
2. Dirty water bag (for collection, pre-treatment)
3. Clean water container (for drinking, post-treatment)
4. Maybe a fire-starting method, depending on when/where you are. A Bic lighter is the easies to use under duress. A ferro rod is fun for youtube videos, but an utter PITA in real life.

Everything else is fluff. That's not to say it's useless, but it shouldn't be the primary focus.

Ooooo, ooooo….

I got one going too. Will get some pics later. I have to change the ammo anyway…..

I found I get much better accuracy with VMAX 30 grn .22 WMR….. an ammo I didn't try until semi recently.

Savage 93 FVSS

Maybe a fire-starting method, depending on when/where you are. A Bic lighter is the easies to use under duress. A ferro rod is fun for youtube videos, but an utter PITA in real life.
I'd disagree. If you know how to use one it's not that hard at all. I do agree, it looks nice on YouTube!

If you feel like you need the ability to create a fire quickly, a lighter is the better choice.

I may be wrong, but most of the time when things go south, fires spell out, "I'm right here!" So you'll likely be a bit away from folks. Likely with some time to gather materials and actually make a fire. If that's the case, it really doesn't matter how you start the fire as long as you can. If you can't use a ferro rod, use a lighter.

Just know that each time you use the lighter, you're getting closer to the last time you'll be able to use it. Same goes for a ferro rod, but the ferro rod should last you a lot longer and get you more fires.

Try to get the 5 Cs….if possible
Think I first heard it from Dave Canterbury

Cordage
Container
Cutting
Combustion
Cover

Good starting point

PS
Rule of 3s….??
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Just know that each time you use the lighter, you're getting closer to the last time you'll be able to use it.
Technically true, but not practically. I think it took me over 10 years to empty a Bic with moderate field use. This can be easily averted by replacing it every year or so whenever you go through and do maintenance to your gear.

I personally carry 3 forms of fire starting in my pack, but the reality is if it weren't for just using a ferro rod or stormproof matches just for the hell of it and practice, I'd never need anything but the Bic.

Technically true, but not practically. I think it took me over 10 years to empty a Bic with moderate field use. This can be easily averted by replacing it every year or so whenever you go through and do maintenance to your gear.

I personally carry 3 forms of fire starting in my pack, but the reality is if it weren't for just using a ferro rod or stormproof matches just for the hell of it and practice, I'd never need anything but the Bic.
I've also found it handy to wrap some duct tape over the top of the Bic to keep it dry, and then wrapping the body of the Bic as a carrying roll for more tape.🤓

I haven't read all of the posts to this thread yet, but I am seeing a lot of recommendations for stuff that isn't going to fit into the buttstock of the rifle (e.g., IFAK), although it might fit into a pouch/etc. attached to the buttstock.

I have a philosophical approach to such kits; give priority to items that are needed for the primary item they go with - e.g., for a rifle, the kit should contain items that are primarily needed for the rifle - not necessarily items like a IFAK, or a compass, or a fishing kit - but rather a cleaning kit, a spare extractor, ammo, etc.

Also, reserve some of that to items that will take the rifle out of commission, are subject to wear/loss (ejector/extractor, springs, screws, etc.). I wouldn't go with a complete bolt assembly, but rather items inside it that might break. Larger items (like a bolt assembly) could/should be carried in a kit inside a pack, and would be optional depending on the scenario (bug out vs. routine patrol) and size/weight.

Bics leak over time. Found that out personally. Good idea to replace every year as you suggest...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top