JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the understanding that one person's idea of healthy is different than another's, let's here your suggestions for healthy survival foods. The foods should fit the normal requirements for survival food storage, shelf stable, easy to prepare, etc.

Lentils, rice, beans, certain canned meats, things like oatmeal, water…

Edit to add:

Assorted pasta's and oils. Hostess snack cakes, they never seem to go bad. Personally like their Honey Bun's…. And Ding Dong's…. And Swiss Rolls…. And Cupcakes…. And Snoballs….

I think I may have snacking issues….

Lentils, rice, beans, certain canned meats, things like oatmeal, water…

Edit to add:

Assorted pasta's and oils. Hostess snack cakes, they never seem to go bad. Personally like their Honey Bun's…. And Ding Dong's…. And Swiss Rolls…. And Cupcakes…. And Snoballs….

I think I may have snacking issues….
Snacking has been a huge portion of my calories lately. Not having convenient cooking options or cold storage options makes cooking a pain.

There is zero nutritional value in that stuff. Its all for taste. And with heart disease and diabetes being top killers in this country I guess I just want to live a long time. I really like my life. I have an amazing wife and a great career and I'm thankful for it all. I want to enjoy it as long as possible and seeing so many people suffering from preventable disease is sad. My dad was diabetic and it was one of the things that got him at 74 years old. Young. Too young. But he could have done some very basic things differently and still be here. I know, life is short and anything can happen. Very true. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to do my part to help my odds.

There are lots of options that are still tasty and have either way less of the bad stuff or even actually some good ingredients. I read the labels of everything I buy. Not in depth, but a quick 2 seconds at calories/sugar/fat. It sucks sometimes but it really helps keep an eye on what goes in your body.

I'm sure this sounds corny but I really do want to keep seeing all your ugly mugs for a long time. ALL of you. :) :D

Not to diminish the importance of eating healthy, but in a survival scenario does it even matter?
Haha good point. Depends on the survival situation I suppose. But prepackaged stuff only lasts so long and again provides limited nutrition besides calories. There could be survival situations that last years or even lifetimes.

I cant think of any extended lifelong survival situation other than war. And then you'd eat anything available.

Respectfully, I don't think living life is survival.

I fully agree with eating healthy, and even prepping healthy survival food... but thats a luxury if one can afford to prep that way, certainly do it if thats an option.
I once thought about making my own freeze dried dinners for backpacking, you can buy freeze dried foods in bulk and putting them together yourself you can control the sodium thats notoriously high in pre-packaged freeze dried meals (like Mountainhouse).

I think this would be way more expensive though for survival prepping, but looks like a more healthy option.

I cant think of any extended lifelong survival situation other than war. And then you'd eat anything available.

Respectfully, I don't think living life is survival.

I fully agree with eating healthy, and even prepping healthy survival food... but thats a luxury if one can afford to prep that way, certainly do it if thats an option.
I once thought about making my own freeze dried dinners for backpacking, you can buy freeze dried foods in bulk and putting them together yourself you can control the sodium thats notoriously high in pre-packaged freeze dried meals (like Mountainhouse).

I think this would be way more expensive though for survival prepping, but looks like a more healthy option.

Food, shelter and clothing are just handed to you then? I know they're not, but life is all about survival. Some people have an easier time than others.

Food, shelter and clothing are just handed to you then? I know they're not, but life is all about survival. Some people have an easier time than others.
agree, but if were talking about struggling to make ends meet then thats a different subject. Someone whos in a position to prep food storage for some unlikely event isnt struggling to get by in life.

agree, but if were talking about struggling to make ends meet then thats a different subject. Someone whos in a position to prep food storage for some unlikely event isnt struggling to get by in life.
Agreed. And healthy options are out there. :)

yes, and so my suggestion. I would think bulk freeze dried foods would be one option to prep healthy survival food that meets the long term storage requirement.

link again.

its always been a "bucket list" thing for me to stock up on some of this but I keep spending my allowance on guns and ammo these days. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top