Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Survival Vehicle

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ajf1, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ajf1

ajf1 beaverton Member

WHat is everyones opinion for a preparedness vehicle.
    I'm looking pretty hard at the GM C4500.

2. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

ahhh... the long awaited BOV discussion finally made it here. Who wants to chime in?

SF-

3. jrw

jrw Beaverton Member

I would say it would depend on what you want to do with your vehicle. Do you want something new that may be a little more reliable but has more electronics that could go wrong or something older like a scout or bronco that is very simple but a little ruff around the edges? I would go with a Ford van converted to 4x4 with a 4 inch lift. I feel that Quadvan does the best 4x4 conversion on the market and they are local.

http://www.quadvan.com/

I may get some ford hater or something but remember all this is my opinion as a good option and it may work for my needs but not yours. I have seen there work and they do a very nice job.

4. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

First gen S10 Blazer. :)

Goes anywhere stock. Anywhere.

4.3l will run 300k miles with no troubles. And if you're into it, a 350 will bolt right in. :D

5. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Diesel ambulance with full working lights & sirens. ;)

6. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I would say a 1970s vintage Bronco or Blazer.

Easy to repair. No computer. 4x4.

My BOV is a Mercedes ML430 with side-lug Open Country tires. Not practical, but it is great off road.

My ideal BOV would be much simpler to repair in the field.

Anything after the 1970s would be off my list.

7. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Andrew survives in style

:laugh:

8. rudedog04

rudedog04 oregon-roseburg Member

with a ford pinto you wouldnt have to worry about it getting stolen and if it did you could reconize it very fast

9. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

For off-road my pick would go to the Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. For a passenger car...Geo Metro or Chevy Sprint...

10. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

A real military H1 diesel with all the toys
    Maybe something like this as a base:
    Hummer-H1_2002_1600x1200_wallpaper_.jpg

11. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

my BOV is....my bug.
    HPIM1704.jpg

12. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

^^ That's cool.

13. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

Nice.

As bizarre as it sounds, I'd have to say mine would be a 1979 Toyota Corolla. Virtually bulletproof. Light enough to push out of ditches, deep water, etc. High enough ground clearance to attempt most of anything. And good gas mileage. I had one years ago, and did some amazing things with it. I hit and killed 3 deer with it. Once I launched it completely off the ground into water so deep it came in through the doors. My buddies and I simply pushed it out and went on our merry way. I could push start the damn thing myself, and for years it had a wooden dowel pounded into the engine where a hose once went. We used to take it up the logging roads in winter to play in the snow, and had a blast...

14. NWMoss

NWMoss Lost, permanently... Member

On my list is:
    1980's Land Cruiser with Diesel - can strip out the electrical and still push start 'em! (course you need your 4 buddies to help with this...)

15. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I can, & have, push started my bug on several occasions, by myself. I'll go you one better. I can chock the front tires, lift ONE rear tire, wrap a rope around it, throw it in a high gear , turn the ignition on, pull the rope, & pull start my car. I'll put money on this.

16. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I have a 1970 Cadillac Coupe De Ville with oversized tires and chains. It rode like a snowsled on airride during our winter storm

17. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Y'all are thinking like city boys. A good mule will out perform any of those vehicles. Mainteance is a curry comb and buckeet of water.

18. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

I have 2....

19. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

I drove more mountain roads and trails, hauled out more deer, and jumped more downed trees with my 73 Vega wagon than I ever will with my Silverado. Of course I was a bit younger and a lot more daring in those days; walking out wasn't such and issue back then.

20. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

One of my teenage era cars 70's Nova is still in the woods.. I am almost 33 now. Seen it when I went up shooting few weeks ago. Engine & Drive Train is missing, it's rather rusty, been burned a few times, and full of bullet holes... another 20 years and there will be nothing left.

Still makes me wonder that someone actually removed the engine and packed it out that must have been a hella lot of work? It went over the cliff during a bricking party when I was 14!