JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market to buy a new watch. I'm used to buying "shinier" watches since I work in a business environment, but I have a habit of breaking them when I'm exercising/hiking/shooting/etc. I'm looking for watches that are durable, can withstand different climates, and also have handy survival features (gps and stuff like that). Analog is preferred, but I know that that limits features (ie; gps), so either digital or analog is fine. At the same time, though, I wouldn't want a bulky watch, like a typical G Shock, since I'd like to wear these with a suit a well, and would like it to fit those occasions too.

So far, Garmins and the G Shock Casiok are at the top of my list. Would love to hear what's worked well for you guys.

I am really not sure. Perhaps a moderator will position it appropriately...
I appreciate well designed and crafted mechanical devices, so I am a fan of mechanical watches, but my moderate budget stopped with the purchase of a Victorinox Swiss Army Watch...
Enjoy the process of deciding and buying a good watch

I'm looking for watches that are durable, can withstand different climates, and also have handy survival features (gps and stuff like that).
The only two brands I will recommend is Suunto and Garmin. I own a Suunto and the GPS navigation works (ive actually used it off trail to navigate) but the controls are confusing to learn. A friend uses the Garmin, I havent heard of any complaints.

the thing about GPS watches is they program them as if your going to use them as your primary source of navigation but thats the last thing I want to do. To me a GPS watch is a backup device and such I hardly use. Plenty of topo GPS apps on a smartphone that work for a primary nav device.

You could get a dress watch and a play watch. If I still wore them, that's what I'd do.

If you want the thread moved, just do this:

@Moderators, should this thread be in Off Topic instead of GFD?
If I move it to off topic, updates won't hit the front page. And this is a good topic.

It's a gps watch…I'm voting for prep and survival.

All of my watches are mechanical bought for looks or my swim tracker, so I got nothing. Good luck OP.

I'm in the market to buy a new watch. I'm used to buying "shinier" watches since I work in a business environment, but I have a habit of breaking them when I'm exercising/hiking/shooting/etc. I'm looking for watches that are durable, can withstand different climates, and also have handy survival features (gps and stuff like that). Analog is preferred, but I know that that limits features (ie; gps), so either digital or analog is fine. At the same time, though, I wouldn't want a bulky watch, like a typical G Shock, since I'd like to wear these with a suit a well, and would like it to fit those occasions too.

So far, Garmins and the G Shock Casiok are at the top of my list. Would love to hear what's worked well for you guys.
Similar to what flopsweat said I would get a business watch that won't get scratched up and another watch that can get scratched up. Ie a combo of nice watch and beater watch that has the gps features etc you want.

Having said that if you want to get both nice analog and gps etc in the same watch they do exist. One example is Tissot touch series. Basically it's a traditional analog watch and smart watch all on one.

Ive been in your boat before. I was a diehard suunto fan for years (think i still have 3 of them), biot got real tired of breakiing the bands all the time, tried aftermarket and factory.. they all sucked.
I am currently running the garmin instinct solar and love it. It is rugged, solar charging is awesome and the navigation works fairly well for an OH SH*T moment when your turned around. Lots of options and it really comes to your budget and what you think you cant live with out

Marathon GSAR.

IMG_2487.jpeg

I've got the Garmin Fenix and although I love most everything about it, you have to have wifi for it to connect to the Garmin servers. If you shut down the app on your phone while you're disconnected from wifi/data/cell, the app won't reconnect. It's an awesome watch while you're connected, but if you go off the trail (or work on a ship like I do) it doesn't work so well.

I wear a Citizen solar powered daily as a field tech and out of town in the woods or to a body of water. It was my dads and has held up to a lot as well as being waterproof to something like 100 meters.

Honestly, if you don't want a bigger watch with all of the bells and whistles then it would be hard to find a more functional watch.

I have a larger face/band 'dress' watch and a cheaper G-Shock - the former being when I'm looking to upgrade my look and the later for hunting cuz it has an alarm.

I am not a fan of 'combination' tools, because they are rarely if ever the best at anything. This is my philosophy on everything though. I don't do gadgets when there is something that specializes in the tasks I want it to do.

If you do go digital I guess I would just suggest something that self recharges itself by either solar or kinetic energy.

(And yes there is plenty of light even in the winter to keep of my solar watches charged)

IMG_7933.jpeg

The Garmin MARQ may be what you're looking for.

If you're okay with black, the Fenix 6x or 7x would be cheaper, and you can get a matching metal band for occasions when you need to dress up.

Last Edited:

I have worn almost nothing but Casio G-Shock watches, since the late 80s for work and "field" environments. They were rather "expensive" in the 80s and 90s (of course I was relatively poor back then, lol) but nowadays they are just a "drop in the bucket" for cost versus durability, and I usually get at least five years out of one.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I really wanted a Garmin Fenix for a while. I am sure they are an incredible watch, but for the price it did not have some of the basic features I wanted in a "computer" watch.

I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy 5 with the rotating bezel. I have had mine for about 1.5 years and been happy so far. It has held up well to everything I have thrown at it.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I really wanted a Garmin Fenix for a while. I am sure they are an incredible watch, but for the price it did not have some of the basic features I wanted in a "computer" watch.

I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy 5 with the rotating bezel. I have had mine for about 1.5 years and been happy so far. It has held up well to everything I have thrown at it.
The lack of touch screen and the unnecessary BS is my favorite feature of the Fenix lol.

I have been using a 6x for many years. I am not nice to them in the least bit and they have yet to fail me. For what I put mine through, the lens should be clear as mud and the finish should be gone, but the wear is barely visible. My Suunto looked like bubblegum within a year. The GPS on these is pretty great, battery life is phenomenal, and the whole no touch screen is great. I would love to get a Fenix 7x but I can't justify replacing the 6x when it's still kicking and working great after all of this time. Maybe it will break in time to justify an 8x or 9x 🤣

My screen is a little bit dirty in this photo, but a quick wipe down and she's good as new.

20230615_081508.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top