JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Survival/SHTF Rifle setup?

• SOCOM 16 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • SOCOM 16 for me, 870 12Ga for wife

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • AR-15 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • AR-15 for me, 870 for wife

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Something that shoots NATO rounds and rounds which are common with LEOs. If things got really bad and stayed that way for years, not months, I figure I'd have to scrounge ammo eventually.

9mm is our (NATO) military handgun ammo, I believe? .40 S&W is common with LEOs, who often also have shotguns?

7.61 and 5.56 NATO, not 308 and 223 unless you know more than I do and believe the NATO rounds are fine in the 308 and 223 civilian rifles. ??

About bears. I've lived and hunted in the Oregon woods all of my life and I've seen two black bears in the wild not counting in refuges and places like Yellowstone. Neither of them wanted trouble from me. I'm going to be far more worried about people.

To answer the question, I want a 9mm handgun, an AR-15 in 5.56 (some are stamped 223 I believe?) and my Remington Nylon 66 .22 LR.

$.02

I used to think a SAW or M4 would be acceptable. Not as sure anymore...

<broken link removed>

I just read this link.This is shocking. This is supposed to be the most scientifically advanced nation on earth and we cannot give our fighting men better equipment.
I believe that one of the problems with the M16-M4 rifles is that they have so many parts. The SKS only has a handful of parts. Ditto the AK. Even my Mini-14 has far fewer parts that the M4. When I was mechanicking we used to say that the more features a car has, the more things there are that can go wrong. K I S S, MAN!

I used to think a SAW or M4 would be acceptable. Not as sure anymore...

<broken link removed>

I saw that and it sickened me. God bless our troops and their loved ones.

FWIW, I'm coming up on 1500 rounds of a variety of ammo without fail in a $750 Del-Ton 5.56 AR like the ones Coctailer has been selling. I just sold an Olympic Arms AR-15 because it would jam unless perfectly clean. I know that could just be my single examples, but I want simple and reliable.

$.02

I just read this link.This is shocking. This is supposed to be the most scientifically advanced nation on earth and we cannot give our fighting men better equipment.
I believe that one of the problems with the M16-M4 rifles is that they have so many parts. The SKS only has a handful of parts. Ditto the AK. Even my Mini-14 has far fewer parts that the M4. When I was mechanicking we used to say that the more features a car has, the more things there are that can go wrong. K I S S, MAN!

I think you hit the nail on the head on the complexity and parts. We sometimes try to show people how much smarter we are by building the better mousetrap. But with more moving parts and more actions it's just one more thing to go wrong.

I have since moved into the city and am not in the woods anymore, I ended up getting a FAL in 16" and will add the para stock soon. I will also be getting an AK pistol somewhere in the 6-9" range. I got rid of my 3 AR-15's. They had never had any trouble jamming or anything like that, I just got sick of the .223 lack of power.

My new setup will be a FAL as a battle rifle, and the AK pistol I can keep in the truck loaded to get my butt to point B. I know there is added weight with a FAL but its not as bad as a M1A with a modstock.

It will look something like this when I'm done, only with a 3x befor the AP

and this
8072L.JPG

I have actually fired a FAL and found it to be very accurate in spite of a horrible trigger pull. If I came across one at the right price it would start keeping company with my other equipment. Good choice. Boston T. Party and James Rawles also both like them.

Like the AR platform (thanks to DSA and others) the FAL has many upgradable parts including better triggers, there are also DIY trigger jobs you can do on them. I was in a dead tie between M1a and FAL but ended up getting a FAL because of the price. It was $1450 for a SOCOM 16 or a SCOUT or $800 for a good Metric FAL and If later in life I want to add things I can.

That FAL is a great choice for the parameters set forth! My choice for a SHTF/survival rifle is my 16" Saiga .308. I converted it with a G2 trigger and an Ace folder. I can easily conceal it under a raincoat with the stock folded, this could be handy when "going to town". It would also be easy to roll it up in a bedroll and nobody would be the wiser. If it were my wife and I against the world she'd back me up with the 12 gauge due to it's versatility and brute force. If we were in a more realistic survival situation at or around our house in the woods she'd be popping squirrels, rabbits, and zombies with the 10/22. :D

you're all crazy if you didn't put a 12 gauge pump at the top of the list. everything else is supplemental. A properly setup 12 gauge can hit 125 yards out with a rifled slug. Take care of most threats short of some big game within 100 yards with ease. And besides a lever action arguably uses the most reliable action of any gun. a 12 gauge can hunt birds, medium to large game, protect home and person depending on the numerous types of readily available ammo at any sports store or wal-mart.

One gun survival 12ga for short term, .22 long term. Seems like an ammo issue and what type of survival really. Hard to carry lots of 12ga,,,,,easy to carry .22's. 22 takes big game in the right hands...but low on stopping power against human bad guys...:huh:

There is nothing scarier than hearing a pump action gun loading when you are robbing a house.

True. But I'd say the sound of a Saiga .308 bolt slamming home is a very close second. For me a survival gun needs to be very effective against large, fast, four legged critters as well as the two legged type. If I *knew* I was going to face a pissed off bear and there was no way to avoid it, I'd grab my Saiga .308 before my 12 gauge pump. With the .308 you get guaranteed deep penetration, higher capacity, and a very high rate of fire. Not to mention you can beat tent stakes into the ground with an AK without hurting it. :)

you're all crazy if you didn't put a 12 gauge pump at the top of the list. everything else is supplemental.

One thing that many people never seem to consider is how easy it is to damage a shotgun beyond use. Most have thin-walled aluminum receivers and pretty much all of them have barrels that are about as strong as drinking straws. One good drop in rocky terrain or a fall on the weapon and a shotgun is junk. :(

{Here's a test: Lean a shotgun against a wall and place a brick against the wall a couple feet to one side of where the butt is resting. Now slide the barrel along the wall gently until the gun falls over and lands on the brick. The barrel now has a big dent in it, right? That wasn't even a drop, the gun simply fell over.}

For a survival situation we're not talking about a weekend or even a week long hunting trip for fun. I'm thinking months, if not years of abuse. I don't think I could keep my shotty close at hand while surviving for more than a month or two before it would be ruined. Think about hunting, fishing, hiking, perimeter patrols in the dark, scouting, logging for & chopping firewood, burying looters, gathering edible plants, maintaining your shelter, hauling water, tending a vegetable garden, etc. Now think about doing all that stuff all day every day with your long gun in tow. Think how tired you're going to be and how many stupid mistakes you will inevitably make due to fatigue. This is the biggest reason why I chose the .308 Saiga over the 12 gauge pump. It's also why I snicker to myself whenever I see someone list an AR-based weapon as a SHTF/survival gun.

If the SHTF I want my .308 AK and my 12 gauge. In the rugged terrain where I live, if I can only choose one or the other I choose my Saiga. :cool:

Another +1 for the FAL.

This thread could go on forever with the whole FAL vs. HK 91 vs. M1A vs. Saiga .308 but that wasn't the purpose of it, by the way guys back in the 70's and 80's were debating this very same topic except they didn't have the Saiga .308.

Saiga .308 is a dang fine weapon except the magazine compatibility bothered me. I had a Tromix conversion and traded it off for 30+ Saiga 12 mags and then sold those for $60.00 each. That was a good trade. That was the only reason why I didn't keep it. I like the AR and even with its short comings it is still nice to have one in reserve but for overall SHTF the Para FAL is the one for me (ease of maintenance, durability and ergonimcs) the positives could go on and on but the best part for a survival situation is the gas system. You can rotate the gus plug from 'A' to 'G' (the 'G' is for the grenade launching capability, which we don't have the grenades) should something happen to the gas system you can easily turn the rifle into a 'bolt' action or if you can afford to suppress it, would be a nice advantage for a semi auto rifle to have.

SF-

you're all crazy if you didn't put a 12 gauge pump at the top of the list.

I hate doing hypothetical SHTF situations... but here it goes

1st of all moving to the city changes everything!!!

Lets just say that for whatever reason I must head to the hills (I actually have a buddy in the hills with 1+ year supply of food) and for whatever reason I only have <2hrs then YES I will grab all my guns, all my ammo, all my food, load it in my truck, grab the wife and bug out! In this situation, I have no need for asking what gun to choose... I would bring them all!! and my buddy will have his guns too! no worries and when we run out of food, we will go on a mission to the local mormon church food depot at night and take what we need. (their religion requires 1 year food supply per person)

Now Lets say I only have 10min to grab the wife (I dont even know if that is possible:s0114::s0114::s0114:) and my BOB's my LBV, a rifle and a pistol, I really dont have time to deal with my 22 rifle, or grab the 12ga & all the ammo, and soo on. Im talking about 1 rifle and 1 pistol, and It better be a battle rifle, one that will save my butt!!! and maybe, just maybe 1 rifle and 1 pistol for the wife with ammo. this might take all of 10 min to grab. Im talking about a gun to get me where Im going not one that will put food on the table, I may be lucky to make it to the table!!!

anyways........ My new rifle come this week!!!!

Something that shoots NATO rounds and rounds which are common with LEOs. If things got really bad and stayed that way for years, not months, I figure I'd have to scrounge ammo eventually.

9mm is our (NATO) military handgun ammo, I believe? .40 S&W is common with LEOs, who often also have shotguns?

7.61 and 5.56 NATO, not 308 and 223 unless you know more than I do and believe the NATO rounds are fine in the 308 and 223 civilian rifles. ??

About bears. I've lived and hunted in the Oregon woods all of my life and I've seen two black bears in the wild not counting in refuges and places like Yellowstone. Neither of them wanted trouble from me. I'm going to be far more worried about people.

To answer the question, I want a 9mm handgun, an AR-15 in 5.56 (some are stamped 223 I believe?) and my Remington Nylon 66 .22 LR.

$.02

Gunner -

Tend to agree with you, and by the way the Rogue Valley was my stomping grounds a long time ago. Now I live on the Olympic Peninsula.

I have a lotta respect for CZ's.......

And have a 7.62 x 39 VZ58 Carbine with folding stock,

And a 9mm P-01 autoloader as my primaries.

Needless to say also a 12 ga. shottie,

A Ruger 10/22 WMR (which despite all the trashing it gets for me has been a great gun)

And various and sundry others.

isher

Here's a pair to draw to:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR