JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Survival/SHTF Rifle setup?

• SOCOM 16 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • SOCOM 16 for me, 870 12Ga for wife

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • AR-15 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • AR-15 for me, 870 for wife

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
its an STG belgian kit, I just bought it off of GB, I plan on getting a para stock for it and a para rail dust cover too. I just got it about 1hr ago! I have already stripped it 2 times now!!! I love it soo far, I have not shot it yet!!! I will have another thread on posting your Bail out weapons!!!!

The poll is closed, so of the limited choices offered, I'd go with the M1A SOCOM and the 870 with various shot and slug shells to choose from, but that's based on the fact that I live in the country. If I were in a city, I'd probably opt for the AR/870 combo.

Keith

Another thing to consider, try buttstroking someone with an M4 :s0114: .

Keith (You might be able to break his glasses)

Hey, I will buy you a pair of glasses and then attempt to buttstroke you with my M4... At worse you will only break the free pair of glasses! :s0155:

On a side note, I do assure you that there is a great amount of damage done with a M4 stock...

On a side note, I do assure you that there is a great amount of damage done with a M4 stock...

Of course, but its always fun to tweak the AR guys occasionally :winkkiss:.

AND, as another side note, I see no one has mentioned a Mosin Nagant yet. If you run out of ammo, all you have to do is install a bayonet and you still have a medium range weapon :s0114: .

Keith

I don't know, for SHTF, I want something that:
* is very reliable in all operating conditions
* is moderately accurate (4 MOA @ 100yd -ish)
* has moderate stopping power (definitely higher than 5.56 NATO)
* is easy to shoot, maintain and clean (when possible), and
* ammo widely available and reliable (weather proofed like in "milspec", a parameter that has been mostly left out of this thread)

Until another platform comes that fits the bill better, that still reads "AK47". And that is in the experts opinions, not just mine.

I'd shoulder an SBR or pistol (i.e AMD65 or Krink) for close distance work, and a regular 16"bbl for the rest.

If the S really and truly did HTF, it could be a few years before things got back to normal. It certainly was true in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

I'm still sticking with NATO calibers because if there's any ammo to be "found" it will most likely be in those calibers.

$.02

If the S really and truly did HTF, it could be a few years before things got back to normal. It certainly was true in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.

I'm still sticking with NATO calibers because if there's any ammo to be "found" it will most likely be in those calibers.

$.02

Good point. Yet, the point is what you "plan" to do if SHTF. Now, if S truly HTF as you say, all ammo will be hard to get. I can only trust what I stowed away. If I run out, well, that was poor planning of my part, and I am as good as dead.

If you want NATO cal guns, buy and store the all the ammo you think you'll need. If you must trouble yourself "finding" ammo, you might as well also "find" the firearm to match the ammo by the same means you got your ammo.;)

If you must do NATO, you have the Galil, and the Saiga 308, a reasonable compromise, I guess. :)

I am sure anyone busying themselves with any SHTF planing will plan for more than one option. A 870 is such an obvious and versatile choice I can't see myself w/o shorty, right along my AKs.

Handguns! Now that you mention them, I think no SHTF discussion is complete if the sidearm is not also tossed in. Should we start a separate thread?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top