JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Survival/SHTF Rifle setup?

• SOCOM 16 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • SOCOM 16 for me, 870 12Ga for wife

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • AR-15 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • AR-15 for me, 870 for wife

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would love to go bear hunting with you!!!! this will be fun!!!!.

I have a very good friend that is a trapper,and he dispatches all his bears with a Ruger Bearcat,that is a .22 LR,and it never fails to do the job.
Many yrs ago,i loaded up some .44 Mag rds for him to try out on the bears,too noisey,gun too heavy,and just flat out did not work as easliy as the .22.
The wildlife biologists were kind enough to disect the animals that he had used the .44 slugs on,you would be surprised at the results,i still have the slugs,(Speer 300GR GD)complete with the fur and all.
To this day he still uses a .22 Bearcat.
Joes credentals are impecable,in the past he has been, assistant to wildlife commissioner,head of the fur bears assoc,a liscensed Falconer,and i am sure there is more.
RK

Not sure about the AR-15 vs. SOCOM question, but I'd go with at least one 870 in the mix - all sorts of things you (I) can do with that gun & ammo is common.

Depending on the situation, I've always wondered about the wisdom of carrying around long-arms with you. If you go down the wrong street/neighborhood, the locals' reaction to two people carrying weapons may be... hostile.

Maybe better to have concealed, hi-cap sidearms? Who knows - I'm no expert.

I'm secluded where I am. Hope I don't have to go any where. I think I'd love my 22 mag if I needed subsistance type meat supply. It's a very deadly rifle. Greydiggers fear it at 80-90 yds. I've had a butcher out that drops large cattle in thier tracks with one 22 mag shot. Of course for defense I like the 12 ga 3 1/2" buck shot

I'll take a slightly sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun with a good scope. I can shoot slugs and buckshot, fleschettes, pepper spray and armor piercing rounds, giving me a choice on how I want to take out the visiting zombies. Then I can also use different size buckshot and birdshot shot for going after my dinner.

When I get bored being the last person on earth, I'll break out a box of incendiary or flame thrower rounds for entertainment.

In order of preference and utility;

870 - it will literally do anything with the right ammo, and it's reliable.
Socom 16 - proven design, can reach out and touch something big, common caliber.
AK/SKS - Reliable, portable, and good 'stopping power' (at least a little better than an AR)
AR15 - Ammo and parts availability, can carry alot of rounds, can shoot long ranges on smaller game

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned is a nice, lightweight, .308 or 30-06 hunting rifle. A good bolt gun would be more reliable than any of those and much better for longer range targets. If you had the 870 to back it up at closer ranges, you would only need one shot from either of these to kill most anything. Also, I think a good 22lr pistol and a brick of ammo gets overlooked alot. It's cheap, easily concealable, can carry wayy more ammo for it, and it's perfect for taking small game (which would probably be your best food source if shtf).
But variety is the spice of life, they're all fun to shoot.. maybe you should just get all of them;)

One thing I haven't really seen mentioned is a nice, lightweight, .308 or 30-06 hunting rifle. A good bolt gun would be more reliable than any of those and much better for longer range targets.

Something like this?......
IMG_0594.JPG

Hard to beat 12ga+ AR Most Alaskans carry 12ga when "out" AR ammo everywhere and can carry lots..5-10 FMJ should penetrate a bear skull with 12ga backup at 15ft. Don't leave out .22 for small game and lightweight ammo....

GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) - Everett Skinner says when a bear broke into his home, he grabbed his shotgun and killed it.

The animal ripped off a screen and climbed in through a window late Saturday, Skinner said. The man told the Daily Courier he hadn't killed a bear before or even hunted in awhile, but makes it a point to keep the shotgun handy.

"In this case, I'm glad I did," he said. Bear and man saw each other at about the same time. Skinner said the animal stood up and headed toward him, so he fired.

"It didn't even faze him," Skinner said. In all, he said he fired four times.

The Skinners say they don't know why the bear invaded their home, about eight miles from Grants Pass.

Daughter Nicole Skinner, who awoke around 11:30 p.m. Saturday to a strange shuffling sound, was the first to spot the bear. She quickly retreated to her parents' room to get help.

"In hindsight, you start thinking of all that could have gone wrong," she said. "We were very blessed that this didn't go badly."

After the bear was dead, Skinner said, he called the Josephine County sheriff's non-emergency number but no one was working late at night. He said he also tried the Oregon State Police.

Skinner said he tried to donate the carcass to a wildlife rehabilitation center that takes road-killed deer, but apparently none of the animals there eat bear meat. Eventually he used his tractor to bury the bear.

Family members have done what they can to clean up the den, but Skinner notes they're probably going to have to replace the carpet.

"It was a rather bloody mess," he said.

And the Skinners won't be leaving the window open at night anymore.

"That's the last fresh air we're going to get at night," he said.

<broken link removed>

this is why i think a 308 would be nice...
"It didn't even faze him," Skinner said. In all, he said he fired four times.

my wife will take nothing but a Noble Arms AK-47.

Let me try this...:

Nothing beats AK's when it comes to survival weapon, ...

AR may be a great combat weaopon ,given supply lines....

But overall reliability? Nothing beats an AK,...

So it would be:

1. me AK, wife AK
2. me AK, wife AK
3. me AK, wife AK
4. me AK, wife AK

I think something in .308 would do it for me. AN M1A or FAL would be wonderful. But, a good bolt action heavy barrel rifle with a Nikon or Leupold scope might do the trick. These are generally very accurate and the .308 is used by the military for target shooting at up to 1,000 yards. My wife is too crippled to shoot anything but a .22.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top