JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What Survival/SHTF Rifle setup?

• SOCOM 16 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • SOCOM 16 for me, 870 12Ga for wife

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • AR-15 for me, AR-15 for wife

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • AR-15 for me, 870 for wife

Votes: 29 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Please check out this page Part 2 Best Survival Rifle/ Weapons

I have a FULL kit, (1st 2nd and 3rd line) I feel like I have a great setup and am ready for most things that could happen... But I have been doing alot of thinking and Im not sure if my 5.56mm AR is the right round/rifle for me...

This all started about 3 weeks ago, when I went shooting with a buddy, I instantly got a man crush on his M1 garand!!! It got me thinking... I have 7 30rd mags ready to go, but they are all 5.56mm and thats a varmint round... living in the foothills of mt. Baker, Could the AR-15 with 30rds stop a charging brown or black bear??? I might only get off a few rounds, and out of that only a few might hit the bear... I would like a garand, but the weight is too much, and then add 30-06 ammo and you start to weigh your self down... I was at the local gun shop the other day was looking at a M1A Socom 16, and thought that would be best all around rifle to 300-400 yds, I belive the 308 would work well against 4 and 2 legged predators.

I would still have my 45 and the wife would have her 9mm...

Here are my options...

1: SOCOM 16 for me, AR-15 for wife

2: SOCOM 16 for me, 870 12ga for wife (with full complement of shells)

3: Keep AR-15 for me, get 2nd AR for wife

4: Keep AR-15 for me, 870 for wife...

Im thinking 1 or 2.... what do you think???

Read Boston T. Party's "Gun Bible"; he changed my world on this question. So, my vote is for a FAL for me and an AR/20 gauge for the wife. I'm still working on getting her up for it though...but I'm making progress...she had fun shooting my AK last weekend for the first time!

He ranks the M14 variant just as highly...his main point...get a .308 for all-around, general purpose, SHTF rifle.

Good luck!

I voted with the majority on the AR15/870 combo.

I don't know about the bear deal, but 200 rounds of AR ammo is a lot easier to carry than 200 rds of .308.

Lighter gun, availability of parts, etc.

You could hunt most everything with it. (You will stalk more cautiously knowing your next meal may come from one pull of the trigger)

...........And the 870 for birds......

AR for me. I can hit almost anything out to 300yds and still kill. Parts and ammo will be available more than other things. The 870 for the wife because she cant handle my AR properly and a diverse gun is needed in the mix. There is bird shot, buck shot, slugs and so many more. depending on the situation you have choices and its a point and shoot gun for the most part.

I have tried and tried. She shoots everything just fine but for some reason not my AR. She seems to be scared of it and I cant figure out why. She loved my AK when I had it and I have my AR set up so that there is almost no recoil. I'm sure if she had to use it she could since she knows how to shoot.

My wife likes bird hunting, but is not a fan of loud guns.... the only way she will practis is shooting plastic bottles off of a plank at 15yds with agila colibri super 22lr shells... out of a rifle they are dead quiet!! you must cycle them by hand, but you get used to the sights, safety, how the trigger acts, how to adjust the sight...

I think I will go with the SOCOM 16 and the 870...

She can, and knows how to use a 12ga, and I would pack about 20 slugs, 20 00buck, 15 2bird, 15 7bird, and 5 flares. Not alot, but that would take care of a bear down to a quail.... for dinner or defence...

The SOCOM 16 may weigh more with ammo, but I would rather take a little less ammo, take more time to aim, and try for 1shot kills, I would carry most of her ammo and all of mine... I would hate to get up to the top of my hill (mini mt.) and see birds all over, and not have a shotgun!!!

I most likely would have at least 3 more people with me (neighbors/ buddys) with guns and food...

Does anyone know of a good sling for the M1a/M14??? I tried the M1 Garand sling and love it, but I wish it was black, tan, or green, and had some padding!!!

I decided on the 12 gauge for the following reason:
a simple election, and nothing else, virtually erased all ammunition and reloading components from the Nation. Except shotgun shells. You could walk into any Bi-Mart anywhere and there'd be shelves filled with 12 and 20 gauge ammunition. They even had shotshell primers on the shelf...
imagine if something really happened, how quickly centerfire and rimfire ammunition would disappear then. I think a 12 gauge and a couple barrels will suit me just fine.

Well, in a SHTF situation, I'd wait with my AK until you had to clean your AR (which you will have to do frequently), and then I'd take you out quite easily.:s0114: Then I'd have an AK AND an AR.

Well, in a SHTF situation, I'd wait with my AK until you had to clean your AR (which you will have to do frequently), and then I'd take you out quite easily. Then I'd have an AK AND an AR.

Huh....

lets see 1st off, I have put about 1500 rounds of mixed 223 and 556 down the tube of my ar15... slow, and rapid fire, I did about 500 without cleaning it once. I have trained and trained and used my rifle as much as one can, If you use it the way it was designed, it has never failed me. there is a reason there is a dustcover.... USE IT!! I have NEVER had to clear my rifle from a FTfeed, FTFire, FTE, or any other jam. In FACT the only jams, and horrible tales I have heard of, are on the Internet...

The ONE time I had an issue was when I used some cheap plastic cased ammo from out of country, and after some rapid fire drills, one of the cases had melted in the barrel, I waited 5min until it cooled down, cleared the melted mess, and only used brass after that.

and then I'd take you out quite easily.

Humm..... wow

And I would trust my life to my AR-15 but I would feel better behind a 7.62NATO round.

The original question was not about if the AR-15 was a good rifle, it was about needing a rifle with more power against a bear in a SHTF situation.

Huh....

lets see 1st off, I have put about 1500 rounds of mixed 223 and 556 down the tube of my ar15... slow, and rapid fire, I did about 500 without cleaning it once. I have trained and trained and used my rifle as much as one can, If you use it the way it was designed, it has never failed me. there is a reason there is a dustcover.... USE IT!! I have NEVER had to clear my rifle from a FTfeed, FTFire, FTE, or any other jam. In FACT the only jams, and horrible tales I have heard of, are on the Internet...

The ONE time I had an issue was when I used some cheap plastic cased ammo from out of country, and after some rapid fire drills, one of the cases had melted in the barrel, I waited 5min until it cooled down, cleared the melted mess, and only used brass after that.

Humm..... wow

And I would trust my life to my AR-15 but I would feel better behind a 7.62NATO round.

The original question was not about if the AR-15 was a good rifle, it was about needing a rifle with more power against a bear in a SHTF situation.

It's not about how many rounds you shoot, it's about the conditions. Sure, if you take good care of your rifle, under controled conditions you can shoot without problems. How many consecutive days have you spent in the woods/sand/dirt with your AR? A few days? A week, month or year? An AR is a GREAT weapon under the RIGHT conditions. An AK is a GOOD weapon under ANY circumstances. In a SHTF situation, good under any is better than great under right.

By the way, there is NO possible way, under adverse conditions, an AR will go 1500rds without jamming without a cleaning. Not possible. Anybody who says so has never been under adverse conditions.

As for the bear, a good marksman with a 22lr can take down a bear with one shot :s0155:.

It's not about how many rounds you shoot, it's about the conditions. Sure, if you take good care of your rifle, under controled conditions you can shoot without problems. How many consecutive days have you spent in the woods/sand/dirt with your AR? A few days? A week, month or year? An AR is a GREAT weapon under the RIGHT conditions. An AK is a GOOD weapon under ANY circumstances. In a SHTF situation, good under any is better than great under right.

By the way, there is NO possible way, under adverse conditions, an AR will go 1500rds without jamming without a cleaning. Not possible. Anybody who says so has never been under adverse conditions.

As for the bear, a good marksman with a 22lr can take down a bear with one shot .

I would love to go bear hunting with you!!!! this will be fun!!!!

and I have used my AR in conditions your ak has NEVER seen:D still no prob!!!

Im Not going to debate AR vs AK... Im set in my ways about that, so unless you are going to tell me AR vs M1a thanks but no thanks.

I would love to go bear hunting with you!!!! this will be fun!!!!

and I have used my AR in conditions your ak has NEVER seen:D still no prob!!!

Im Not going to debate AR vs AK... Im set in my ways about that, so unless you are going to tell me AR vs M1a thanks but no thanks.

Sure thing, take the AR. More ammo, less weight. Takes less space and resources to stockpile ammo. You get more ammo for a smaller price. You'll be able to scrounge or "sieze" more .223 ammo than .308. Rifle weighs less. People seriously underestimate the weight issue, because they've never had to do any serious marching with it. I'm not talking a few miles to your campsite. I'm talking about a good 25 miler over a couple of days. Hunting wise, the AR will take anything down with a reasonable shot. If your M1A breaks down in SHTF conditions you will have a **** of a time finding parts.

By the way, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to AR15/M16/M4 durability and reliability. I've spent far more time in harms way with an M4 than most people will ever spend, doing ANYTHING with their AR.

Playing soccer with the "locals" in Baghdad 2005:

One of my squad leaders doing a little goodwill work (Baghdad 2005):

"Behind Bars at Abu Ghraib prison (just west of Baghdad 2005):

I voted AR-15 and 870. That combo should cover pretty much any situation you may come across.

I have been designing my "BOB" and am having a hard time getting under 3-4 guns on top of all my other gear. I am down to LMT piston MRP AR, Moss 930 SPX, savage 10 BAT/S-K?, and Sig P220. I have a ILBE pack that I will be carrying full of supplies with the bolt gun attached with molle in a sniper case, the moss in the mortar tube spot, AR carried on a tactical sling, and the Sig carried on a leg drop.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top