JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to get off topic or derail the thread, but aren't all Enfields 'home-grown'?

Nossir.

After the Pattern 53 Enfield - the date is the clue - came the Snider, taken on board as the cheapest and most effective means of converting the muzzleloading P53 to a single-shot breechloader, firing a ginormus cartridge like a small lead-topped vacuum flask.

Jacob Snider was an American.

Then came the Martini-Henry in .577cal. Martini was French/Swiss, and his co-inventor, Peabody, was American. The 'Henry' part was the rifling style, BTW.

It then segued into the Martini-Enfield in .450-577 or even 577-450 - you choose.

Then came the Lee-Metford - the first bolt-action rifle in service with the British military.

James Paris Lee was an American.

Dropping the -Metford on changing over to smokeless propellant, to -Enfield, it lasted until 1957, when it was replaced by the FAL, license-built in UK by the Enfield Small Arms Factory in, uh, Enfield in imperial dimensions, and called by us, the SLR - self-loading rifle. THAT was designed in the FN factory by Diedonne Savée, a Belgian national. It was then, and remains to this day, the best battle rifle in the Free World. MY opinion, BTW. YMMD.

The replacement for that, the SA80, was a cobbled-together mix of AR-18 Sterling Armament and Kinder Egg design, and it was adopted before troop trials - or A testing as we would call it - ever happened. Initially is was chambered in the amazingly accurate mouse-killing 4.85x49 calibre........soon changed to 5.56x45, after all, we didn't want the enemy to get away completely unhurt, did we?

The result was that the Toms and Royals did the Beta-testing, and found it wanting in every way except accuracy. You also needed to dump the contents of an oil bottle into the working parts to get them going - not a good thing to do in a desert environment. The remarkable accuracy of the 'round designed to would' hardly matters if you can only shoot a couple of rounds before having to tear it down to fix it.

Sound familiar to you?

On the other tentacle, I never saw anybody shot with the 7.62x51 ball get up and carry on the fight, even when given a 'glancing' wound to, say, an ankle...

In fact, we were trained to shoot at any part of the body that was exposed - it's ALL going to hurt, right?

Apologies for thread drift.

tac

Terrible news indeed, but G*d bless our sharpshooters. Probably saved more lives, him.

tac

After watching today's press briefing, it is clear that the shooter engaged in close quarters battle with the police. He was not at all fighting as a sniper from long range. The big disadvantage that the officers all seemed to have faced was that they were all armed with handguns, while he had a Tavor with a holographic red dot sight and a super high cap magazine.

It is also apparent from the press conference that the SWAT sniper did not need to make a very long shot. At most it was only around 100 yards.

It is sort of ironic that a bad guy with such a high capacity rapid fire weapon ends up being taken out with just a single shot. All of his CQB Marine Corp training was defeated by a single bullet from a precision marksman.

The shooter was actually advancing on two of the wounded deputies to finish them off, just like he had done to one of the previous officers, when the SWAT sniper got him. The Baton Rouge Police Chief gave him a ton of credit. If the SWAT team had arrived later, at least 2 more officers would be dead, and the shooter could have got back in his car and gone to another location.

I did think that the shooter made a rather dumb mistake setting up an ambush so close to the Baton Rouge Police Department headquarters. For the SWAT team was able to mobilize and get to the scene in only 5 minutes, which is a really fast deployment.

Last Edited:
Oh geez, state officials just confirmed that the seriously wounded officer has a brain wound, and remains in very critical condition.

I fear that the death toll may be going up to 4.

Authorities confirmed that the first Baton Rouge officer shot, tried to crawl away. A Sheriff's Deputy spotted him, and while running towards him, was himself gunned down and killed. The shooter then went over to the wounded officer that was trying to crawl away, and fired an additional 3 shots into him at point blank, effectively executing him.

Apparently there is security camera footage from the building this happened at, that shows all of this extreme carnage. The Governor said that the video showed an extremely brutal and callous murderer at work.

They also confirmed that a Baton Rouge Police SWAT sniper was the officer that took the shooter out with a single shot.

Baton Rouge SWAT took him out at 100 yards, shooting through a structure... According to the news conference they held this afternoon.

After watching today's press briefing, it is clear that the shooter engaged in close quarters battle with the police. He was not at all fighting as a sniper from long range. The big disadvantage that the officers all seemed to have faced was that they were all armed with handguns, while he had a Tavor with a holographic red dot sight and a super high cap magazine.

It is also apparent from the press conference that the SWAT sniper did not need to make a very long shot. At most it was only around 100 yards.

It is sort of ironic that a bad guy with such a high capacity rapid fire weapon ends up being taken out with just a single shot. All of his CQB Marine Corp training was defeated by a single bullet from a precision marksman.

The shooter was actually advancing on two of the wounded deputies to finish them off, just like he had done to one of the previous officers, when the SWAT sniper got him. The Baton Rouge Police Chief gave him a ton of credit. If the SWAT team had arrived later, at least 2 more officers would be dead, and the shooter could have got back in his car and gone to another location.

I did think that the shooter made a rather dumb mistake setting up an ambush so close to the Baton Rouge Police Department headquarters. For the SWAT team was able to mobilize and get to the scene in only 5 minutes, which is a really fast deployment.

Sir, I have stolen your post for one of my other favourite fora, SIGforum.com.

I will be giving credit.

Thanks.

tac

In other Louisiana police news, a man came at a Louisiana State Policeman with a samurai sword today. However, he suffered a heart attack after being shot with a Taser by the officer, and died.

That would have taken really big balls to face down a man armed with a sword with just a Taser. It is amazing what law enforcement offices have to deal with these days.

Man allegedly confronted trooper with sword, died after being stunned (http://www.wafb.com/story/32470898/man-allegedly-confronted-trooper-with-sword-diedafter-being-stunned)

Last Edited:
Louisiana State Police's facebook page posted photos of the shooter's weapons, AR was in the car. Their facebook page has a timeline, and security cam images of the shooter.
Security Check Required (https://www.facebook.com/LouisianaStatePolice/)

13731768_1388927384457181_8666232885566953074_o.jpg 13737596_1388927457790507_8818407016174232667_o.jpg

It appears that he only used the Tavor. He has a Meprolight MEPRO21 installed on it, which is a fairly high class optic.

He certainly armed himself with top notch weaponry. The Tavor is just about the ultimate gun for CQB. I guess those must be PMAG 40 magazines??

One of the photos released from the security cam footage shows him engaging a police car and wounding the officer driving it:

shots.JPG

Got to shoot a Tavor over the 4th, cool weapon but I can't afford one.
Gabby

I have heard bad things about the Tavor's trigger, and the gun's accuracy. Not sure how true they may be, but I have seen a number of complaints posted on the web.

I would never pay premium bucks for a gun with a mediocre trigger, and could not shoot accurately. I would much rather have an AR with a quality trigger installed, and with a barrel installed that can group well.

New York Daily News editorial today explains why the Baton Rouge Police shooting proves that civilians need to be banned from owning Assault Rifles:

KING: Dallas, Baton Rouge murders show need for assault rifle ban (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-dallas-baton-rouge-murders-show-assault-rifle-ban-article-1.2715531)

Have you ever noticed that they must only have 1 or 2 pictures of ARs I have seen this same picture on about 15 articles or more over the last year or so.

Also if you notice the middle one is a California version it has a fixed Magazine and a pull ring on the rear pin so you can pull the pin easier to load the 10 round mag from the top.

As far as the article itself just the same old B.S.

Edit: also no mag release button

Last Edited:
I have heard bad things about the Tavor's trigger, and the gun's accuracy. Not sure how true they may be, but I have seen a number of complaints posted on the web.

I would never pay premium bucks for a gun with a mediocre trigger, and could not shoot accurately. I would much rather have an AR with a quality trigger installed, and with a barrel installed that can group well.

I have shot two now and found them to be reasonably accurate from a military stand point not bull's-eye. Yes the triggers suck as they have a long transfer bar and stiff springs but you can replace it for a couple hundred and makes it descent to shoot.

To me they are a good gun just too much money for what you get.

Wow, did anyone else notice how super long the shooter's magazines were? They looked longer than a PMAG 40. Are there 50 round banana style clips available for AR-15 compatible rifles?

They look longer but they are the P mag 40s I counted the ribs compared to mine

Do you have any source that you can cite for this? I can find no such statements from the Louisiana State Police, or anyone else either.

They BR LEOs Sheriff, etc. showed photos of all his firearms that he had with him or in his car. He clearly set up an ambush for the cops, wasn't just a guy "open carrying". No one drive 700 miles to OC in Baton Rouge for bubblegum and giggles only.

Brutus Out

On CBS tonight they showed a Police Chief saying the shot that took out the shooter was amazing a whole 100 yards.

Good grief during the sight in service at 4 corners rod and gun club I have watched young girls with .243's and 30-30's hit the bread basket on a running dear target that moves at an angle from 75-100 yards A few of them two shots in the short time allowed.

By the time my son was 10 he could hit the black on a 100 yard target standing as if hunting. With his moms Marlin 336.

And a 100 yard shot by a SWAT officer with a scoped AR or maybe even a dedicated sniper rifle is an amazing shot?

WOW they best not come for our guns our kids can out shoot them.

On CBS tonight they showed a Police Chief saying the shot that took out the shooter was amazing a whole 100 yards.

Good grief during the sight in service at 4 corners rod and gun club I have watched young girls with .243's and 30-30's hit the bread basket on a running dear target that moves at an angle from 75-100 yards A few of them two shots in the short time allowed.

By the time my son was 10 he could hit the black on a 100 yard target standing as if hunting. With his moms Marlin 336.

And a 100 yard shot by a SWAT officer with a scoped AR or maybe even a dedicated sniper rifle is an amazing shot?

WOW they best not come for our guns our kids can out shoot them.

Adrenaline rush with officers already deceased vs. shooting relaxed at a range, also from the line shown on the press conference "through buildings" (I am thinking window)..... yes, worded for the masses an "amazing shot".

Brutus Out

It appears that he only used the Tavor. He has a Meprolight MEPRO21 installed on it, which is a fairly high class optic.

He certainly armed himself with top notch weaponry. The Tavor is just about the ultimate gun for CQB. I guess those must be PMAG 40 magazines??

One of the photos released from the security cam footage shows him engaging a police car and wounding the officer driving it:

View attachment 303001

One thing to note in these recent shootings, most of the LEOs are side arm vs the long arm of these disgusting, evil killers and they are losing at contact. I expect you to see many more LEOs with ARs out when they exit cars re: "possible person with a gun" calls.

For everyone saying CCW is all you need in Indian country.....the paradigm looks to be shifting.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR