JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of businesses that could get my business don't when I see thier no-guns-allowed signage.
I was reminded of this thought last night
I had to take my wife to the ER in Salmon Creek
we were sitting there when they announced "CODE WHITE", then 3 security guards ran past us
I tried to go out to get water out of the car and the Security Guards waved me back
at the door was a man in a heated argument with 5 Hospital guards
he tried to come into the ER with a concealed firearm and set off the metal detectors
posted right at the entrance - NO GUNS - NO KNIVES
he was adamant he had his CCW and demanded they let him in - they politely advised him to leave his firearm in his truck and come back
lots of profanity, they he yelled at his wife to get out of the Hospital - he was leaving
I really doubt he found a Hospital to take his wife that allowed him to take his firearm in

P.S. I always carry a folding 4" knife in my pocket - they let me check it at the security station and pick it up on my way out

Seems most mass shootings have the same elements:
  • The shooter has a documented history of instability, violence, mental issues.
  • Family members and/or friends have made multiple attempts to bring this to the attention of the authorities.
  • That documented history and the pleas from family/friends is ignored by the authorities,
  • The shootings always take place in gun free zones proving that just because someone is crazy they aren't stupid.
For the most part these shootings are due to a failure to prevent or treat mental health issues that seems to be getting worse. These people need to be protected from themselves as much as we need to be protected against them.

"Red Flag" laws that can be abused by disgruntled spouses/ex's/etc along with politicians would not be needed if we had adequate mental health care and facilities to provide that like we used to before Federal aid was cut for that purpose in the 1980's. Societal stresses are only going to get worse for the near and short future and the need will become greater.

We also need to stop laws that prevent citizens from protecting themselves regardless of where they are. Just because someone is armed does not mean they are dangerous and that perception must be changed.

• Family members and/or friends have made multiple attempts to bring this to the attention of the authorities.
  • That documented history and the pleas from family/friends is ignored by the authorities,
  • The shootings always take place in gun free zones proving that just because someone is crazy they aren't stupid.
For the most part these shootings are due to a failure to prevent or treat mental health issues that seems to be getting worse. These people need to be protected from themselves as much as we need to be protected against them.

"Red Flag" laws that can be abused by disgruntled spouses/ex's/etc along with politicians would not be needed if we had adequate mental health care and facilities to provide that like we used to before Federal aid was cut for that purpose in the 1980's. Societal stresses are only going to get worse for the near and short future and the need will become greater.

We also need to stop laws that prevent citizens from protecting themselves regardless of where they are. Just because someone is armed does not mean they are dangerous and that perception must be changed.
How many times has this, not necessarily exact but similar, been said in the last 20 years? Makes me wonder if somewhere like, Texas maybe, has places to treat the mentally ill? Like you say, I remember issues with the Oregon State Hospital when they closed it. People were saying then that there will be problems. Here they are! NOW! Closing mental hospitals swept across the country!

a failure to prevent or treat mental health issues that seems to be getting worse
Are they, or do we just have more people now so it appears it's getting worse? 🤔

That's a serious question by the way, I really don't know if we have a larger percentage of the population with mental health issues these days or if it's more people in general and the ability to rapidly spread information of events like this that make it seem like it.

Add to that list one very important and pertinant element:
  • The shooter is prescribed anti-depression and/or other mind-altering pharmaceuticals

Are they, or do we just have more people now so it appears it's getting worse? 🤔

That's a serious question by the way, I really don't know if we have a larger percentage of the population with mental health issues these days or if it's more people in general and the ability to rapidly spread information of events like this that make it seem like it.
That really doesn't matter here. The infrastructure to separate from society and or treat these people is what has disappeared.

Stress increases with population density. There have been several studies using animals that have demonstrated this. Add in the growing use of drugs to treat mental issues without treating the root cause and it gets worse.

You can also consider the increasing velocity of societal change as well as the polarization into "us" and "them" on everything from religion to politics to what kind of food is acceptable that determines who is "good" and who is "bad". Also, our failing economy will make it even worse for many as we tend to equate our own self worth with our success (or lack) as a provider to our loved ones. Add in the breakdown of law and order we have seen the last few years and it gets real dark.

More info about how gun shop refused to sell him a silencer and us army said he was unfit to have a weapon and feared he would commit a mass shooting.
1190711-3f1ec553a743262a75225eb1b13c0b2c.jpg

1190713-26f7c7073e3a37fa6126445c5667aa5a.jpg
Again, and again, and again...multiple and massive government failures. So what is "their" answer? Take away your ability to defend yourself so the government can protect you. I believe local officers serve an important role, but not as your immediate first responder. I don't wait for the fire department to put out my kitchen stove fire.

The lack of the ability for people to understand this logic borders on a mental illness in and of itself. They don't want to handle the truth and realize there are no safe spaces when evil comes to your world.

Again, and again, and again...multiple and massive government failures. So what is "their" answer? Take away your ability to defend yourself so the government can protect you. I believe local officers serve an important role, but not as your immediate first responder. I don't wait for the fire department to put out my kitchen stove fire.

The lack of the ability for people to understand this logic borders on a mental illness in and of itself. They don't want to handle the truth and realize there are no safe spaces when evil comes to your world.
This Portland man has been arrested 53 times and 10 for burglary. He acts sane while committing the crimes then when police arrest him he acts crazy. Therefore they let him go each time.

Similarly a different homeless crazy guy who was caught on the second floor inside residents house was arrested then immediately released. Then he went onto I -84 and threw rocks at cars. Then he got run over by the max train. Homeless or crazy = free pass to go back into society ASAP.

Simple math
If x is the percentage of mentally ill people in a population, when the population increases, the number of mentally ill people goes up. Remove the ability to commit these people to asylums (Thanks ACLU) so yhey can't get help or at least be removed from society, then add the stressors of modern society, plus a concerted effort to not teach coping skills and basic morality to our children over the last 30 years and you have this stew of broken people lashing out violently at any and everybody. I fear it will only get worse.

Growing up in LA which always had millions of people in my lifetime. Things didn't noticeably decline until they shut down the mental hospitals. The gang issue was separate and originally only affected a few areas.

Just to say, a large population on its own isn't an excuse. A big problem is giving authority away to the authorities. At one point I had a neighbor back from Vietnam with issues. He didn't work and cut the lawn every day, maybe several times a day, with a push mower. When he would get out of line one of his brothers would "handle it". Harsh by today's standards, but effective and he got to live are normalish life.

Simple math
If x is the percentage of mentally ill people in a population, when the population increases, the number of mentally ill people goes up. Remove the ability to commit these people to asylums (Thanks ACLU) so yhey can't get help or at least be removed from society, then add the stressors of modern society, plus a concerted effort to not teach coping skills and basic morality to our children over the last 30 years and you have this stew of broken people lashing out violently at any and everybody. I fear it will only get worse.
Don't forget drugs. Some drugs like the new meth quickly make a sane person insane. Fentanyl can make you think you are getting attacked by robots and chew other peoples faces off. Shrooms can make you try to crash a plane with 83 people on board. ...for those that don't know, those are references to real-world events recently in Portland.

The German's bombed Pearl Harbor????

Ever seen the movie Animal House? John Belushi has a classic speech where he screams: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!!!" The rest of the fraternity recognized the gaffe but didn't want to interrupt his psychotic rant, so they just listened as he rambled on.

Edited to get Belushi's quote correct. LOL He also said it wasn't over "until we say it's over".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top