JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I grew up in Beaverton, didn't see any homeless here until the last 4 years or so, Oregon seems like it is becoming a problem state to me.
I heard from my one of my coworkers that Hawaii is giving homeless a free plane ride to Las Vegas and that Nevada is giving them a free plane ride to Portland, if that is true it would explain how it all seems to be going downhill fast and has been for several years now. As recently as 2014 it used to be safe to ride your bicycle from Beaverton to Portland(me and a bud went to the waffle window), now a days I wouldn't risk it. Portland I only go through if I absolutely have to, and when I do I have my CCW , a spare mag, and my buck knife. Though I have been considering carrying a larger caliber handgun(mine is a 9mm) and possibly a concealed short sword the way things are headed.

Would move asap if I could afford it, the Beaverton and Portland area's are not what they used to be.

In about 82 .I wound walk from tv hiway about 2 miles home at 230 am after work .and not one time had a problem .Beaverton and cedar mill was upper end clean working class nieberhood at the time.
The homeless all have SOCIAL media and cell phones they invite their freinds from other states to come to Portland.Tons of them are from other states like cali. They have a free for all with no fear of consaquences.now if the just stack on a few thousand undocumented immigrants in the mix on the street we will be blessed with a
Diverse utopia of love and compassion .Every single day at least 1 person is shot or killled in Portland. It was not that way in 2014 before our new grand poobah took the thrown with a rampage against legal gun owners . If all these gun transfer laws ect they pushed through work why is the Gun violence at least double than before they made them .

Last Edited:
In about 82 .I wound walk from tv hiway about 2 miles home at 230 am after work .and not one time had a problem .Beaverton and cedar mill was upper end clean working class nieberhood at the time.
The homeless all have SOCIAL media and cell phones they invite their freinds from other states to come to Portland.Tons of them are from other states like cali. They have a free for all with no fear of consaquences.now if the just stack on a few thousand undocumented immigrants in the mix on the street we will be blessed with a
Diverse utopia of love and compassion .Every single day at least 1 person is shot and killled in Portland. It was not that way in 2014 before our new grand poobah took the thrown with a rampage against legal gun owners . If all these gun transfer laws ect they pushed through work why is the Gun violence at least double than before they made them .

in 2017 in all of oregon there were only 42 murders, and if the pattern follows likely only half of those were shootings.

im sure most of those were in portland, but even if it's a solid 15, that's a far cry from 365.

this is exactly the type of misinformation, sensationalization, resulting in bad logic and wrong conclusions i'm talking about above. i suspect you are doing more harm in the world spreading this bullbubblegum than you'll ever do good with your gun.

I heard from my one of my coworkers that Hawaii is giving homeless a free plane ride to Las Vegas and that Nevada is giving them a free plane ride to Portland,

Vegas -> Portland on Bus. Huge camp just outside the bus/train terminals. Well, I saw 20 or so tents and 50 or so people, when I picked up my brother from the BOLT bus sidewalk spot.

although the homeless problem is very visible and growing, violent crime in Portland is the lowest its been in about 40 years, so a lot of it is just the visual aspect of homelessness. Don't let the fear mongering get to you.

I won't ever criticize anyone for wanting to carry- it's a form of insurance like any other- but don't feel like you need to justify your concealed weapon carriage by playing into sensationalized bullbubblegum rhetoric. you're safe with or without a goddamn gun in this city.
Says someone who has never been attacked and had to fear for their life, I am here today breathing in air instead of being burried in the ground beneath our feet because I had a gun on me when I needed it. That isn't sensationalism or whatever rhetoric you want to call it that is a fact.

Last Edited:
in 2017 in all of oregon there were only 42 murders, and if the pattern follows likely only half of those were shootings.

im sure most of those were in portland, but even if it's a solid 15, that's a far cry from 365.

this is exactly the type of misinformation, sensationalization, resulting in bad logic and wrong conclusions i'm talking about above. i suspect you are doing more harm in the world spreading this bullbubblegum than you'll ever do good with your gun.
There is a difference between sensationalist reporting and under reported information. Just because it is under reported by certain media outlets it is sensationalism / fake news?

In this case, it is true that folks are leaving areas that have zero tolerance for homeless to live homeless in areas that tolerate homelessness. This is true for many areas on the west coast. Los Angeles areas in particular.

I fully understand what you are stating in your posts. It makes total sense that those that take their lives into their own hands portray an image of higher fear of fellow man or seem to be living their lives in fear as you put it.

That's were I disagree. I would think that someone with that level of thought would try not to portray a typical person that fears firearms. Portraying a person that decides to carry a firearm as a weak individual that has possible alternative motives to carry a gun besides insurance for ones life is in the same line of thinking as what you are describing in your posts, sensationalism.

Also on that note, @The B , how much harm are you doing to your fellow man labeling them as fearful idiots carrying guns?

Love your neighbor attitude seems to only come on a biased standpoint from your logic.

How many people carry around you that you don't know about?

Agree. I do remember thinking that would not be a difficult shot at all with the Pcc.

If I had my sub compact size 9mm pistol that I normally carry that would be a very hard shot if I had to take it. Probably would have to go to the trail and go down the cliff try to close the distance or something.
The only problem with your PCC if you had to use it would be that the DA would try to use it against you. The DA would argue that because of how you were armed you obviously went looking for trouble. It's the same argument they try to make about using hollow point ammo. It's supposedly proof that you set out to kill someone.

Portland also has one of the highest percentages of justified vs non justified shootings in the country. Pair that with the lowest amount of violent crime the city has seen in 40 years, and its actually a pretty safe place to be, and reasonably safe to defend yourself.

*edit - I will say though, the 205 bike path is a lawless wasteland. Don't go there without a PCC.

There is a difference between sensationalist reporting and under reported information. Just because it is under reported by certain media outlets it is sensationalism / fake news?

In this case, it is true that folks are leaving areas that have zero tolerance for homeless to live homeless in areas that tolerate homelessness. This is true for many areas on the west coast. Los Angeles areas in particular.

I fully understand what you are stating in your posts. It makes total sense that those that take their lives into their own hands portray an image of higher fear of fellow man or seem to be living their lives in fear as you put it.

That's were I disagree. I would think that someone with that level of thought would try not to portray a typical person that fears firearms. Portraying a person that decides to carry a firearm as a weak individual that has possible alternative motives to carry a gun besides insurance for ones life is in the same line of thinking as what you are describing in your posts, sensationalism.

It appears that you missed his point. He was responding to someone who claimed that someone is shot and killed in Portland every day. That is such an absurdly false claim that it's correct to call it sensationalism. It's not underreported, it's just wrong.

Theonly possibly questionable statement he made is where he hypothesized that the sensationalism causes more harm than carrying a gun does good. That's an opinion, I happen to agree with it. Carry a gun if you want, nobody here has a problem with that. Don't make up sensationalist statistics to justify it, that just hurts all those who carry.

Mabey they don't all die . but every night on the news lately their is at least 1 report of someone getting shot .

Mabey they don't all die . but every night on the news lately their is at least 1 report of someone getting shot .

Agree, shootings in Oregon, usually somewhere in the Metro sheethole, are reported on the radio news essentially every day. They may not all result in deaths, but unless the media are lying about it, it is happening. The media wouldn't lie to us, would they? :rolleyes:

A brief search on Al Gore's internet reveals:

Fatal shooting Monday, Dec 10, 2018 in Hazel Dell (Metro area just north of the border):
Deputies: Getaway driver arrested in Hazel Dell shooting

Scroll down to "Update #4" to read about this one on Friday, Dec 7:
Portland Police Bureau news
The Portland Police Bureau's Internal Affairs Division has completed administrative investigative interviews with officers directly involved with the shooting that occurred on Friday, December 7, 2018, at the Starbucks located at 3030 Northeast Wielder Street.

A little farther down that page you will find this one:
Shooting Investigation Underway in Southwest Portland - No Injuries - 12/05/18
On Wednesday December 5, 2019, at 2:01 a.m., Central Precinct officers responded to the report of non-injury shooting in the 10900 block of Southwest Capitol Highway. Avoid that area on 12/5/2019 next year. ;)

Farther down same page: (no shots fired)
UPDATE - Suspect Arrested After Report of Person with a Gun Near Madison High School (Photo) - 12/04/18
On Tuesday December 4, 2018, at 12:49 p.m., Youth Services Division officers responded to Madison High School, located at 2735 Northeast Madison High School, on the report that a student reported seeing a man with a gun near the tennis courts in Glenhaven Park, just North of the school.........As officers went to contact the subject, he ran towards Glenhaven Park but was quickly taken into custody without incident. During a search of the subject, officers located a handgun in his possession.

Below that one, you will find this one:
Shooting Investigation Underway in Southeast Portland - One Person Injured - 12/04/18
On Tuesday December 4, 2019, at approximately 3:00 a.m., East Precinct officers responded to the area of Southeast 58th Avenue and Hawthorne Boulevard after multiple reports of gunfire.
Officers arrived in the area and located a male suffering from a gunshot wound. Officers applied medical aid until medical personnel arrived in the area. The victim was transported to a Portland hospital with serious injuries.

Little farther down the page:
Shooting Investigation Late Sunday Night in Lloyd District - One Person Injured - 12/03/18
On Sunday December 2, 2018, at 10:31 p.m., North Precinct officers responded to the report of a shooting in the area of Northeast 10th Avenue and Halsey Street.

Just below that one:
Shooting Investigation Underway in Southeast Portland - One Person Injured - 12/02/18
On Sunday December 2, 2019, at 8:03 p.m., East Precinct officers responded to the report of a shooting in the area of Southeast 135th Avenue and Division Street.
Officers and medical personnel arrived in the area and located an adult male victim suffering from a leg injury from the shooting. The victim was transported by ambulance to a Portland hospital for treatment and is expected to survive.

And below that one:
Shooting Investigation in Southeast Portland - No Known Injuries - 11/30/18
On Friday November 30, 2018, at 9:04 p.m., East Precinct and Gang Enforcement Team (GET) officers responded to the report of gunfire in the area of the 5300 block of Southeast Franklin Street.
As officers were responding to the area, additional callers in the area reported hearing gunfire and a possibly-involved vehicle crashed into a fence at Franklin High School, located at 5405 Southeast Woodward Street.
Officers arrived in the area and located evidence of gunfire and detained one person suspected of involvement in the shooting. No gunshot victims were located in the area or have arrived at any area hospitals.

Continuing: (are you bored yet?)
UPDATE/CORRECTION - Robbery Investigation Underway After Suspect Steals Vehicle at Gunpoint - One Person Injured - 11/29/18
On Thursday November 29, 2018, at 7:16 a.m., North Precinct officers responded to a gas station at Northeast Cully Boulevard and Prescott Street on the report that a vehicle was stolen from a victim at gunpoint.

Next:
Shooting Investigation Underway in Waterfront Park - One Person Injured - 11/29/18
On Thursday November 29, 2018, at approximately 8:09 a.m., Central Precinct officers responded to the area of Naito Parkway and the Burnside Bridge on the report that a person was suffering from a gunshot wound.

That page is like the Energizer Bunny - it just keeps on going and going and going..........those shown above are only about 25% of the way down that page, and that's just Portland!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Last Edited:
FYI for anyone who wants to hear firsthand the police activity in their local area there is a free phone app called "5-0 radio". I listen to it occasionally when driving or whatever. One morning in the course of an hour and a half there was a guy who waved a gun on I205 (road rage incident), a shooting, and a body washed up on the willamette river near cathedral park.

That is just a snapshot for that one day and is not representative of every day I'm sure, but if you want to get a firsthand feel for crime in your area, that phone app can be pretty enlightening. You hit "local feeds", I think it's called, and in Portland hit "Portland police and Multnomah county sheriff dispatch" for the station (or other stations). I have huge respect for local LEOs after listening to the incredible crazy stuff they have to deal with every day.

........... i won't ever criticize anyone for wanting to carry- it's a form of insurance like any other- but don't feel like you need to justify your concealed weapon carriage by playing into sensationalized bullbubblegum rhetoric. you're safe with or without a goddamn gun in this city.

Tell that to those who have been murdered, shot and survived, stabbed, raped, robbed, assaulted, burglarized, threatened, etc. :rolleyes:

taking a round number of 10,000 violent crimes in PDX a year, equals about 27 a day, divide that by 650,000 pdx residents, and you get .0042% chance of being a victim of violent crime on any given day. If a doctor said you had a 0.004% chance of having a heart attack today, would you upend your diet and lifestyle?

Statistically speaking, you are pretty safe in portland. Anecdotal viewpoints against that statistic are just that, anecdotal. While it sucks to get your number called, you could easily live multiple lifetimes in pdx without ever being violently accosted.

That said, statistics and anecdote go out the window should you actually need a gun.

Do we really wanna say "goddamned gun" on a firearms forum? And if one is going to blaspheme, at least get it right, it's: Goddamned gun... have some respect for deists!

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top