JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I agree with a lot of the sentiments above that boil down to not my clowns, not my circus...or put another way, I protect me and mine and everyone else should do the same. However, an unclad woman being violently assaulted by an attacker... Personally, there is an issue in disparity of force to be considered. Who knows what their disagreement was about, but I doubt it was because she decided to force her attentions upon him and showed up naked to be efficient in the execution of her dastardly scheme, or that she just happened to intercept his welfare check and was refusing to give it back because he was behind on his responsibilities. I doubt one could fashion a justifiable reason for a physical assault as you have described. In this particular instance, good on you for your effort to stop the violence.
After that rant, I have been trying to articulate the following statement, and am not sure if I have succeeded. Thus:
I like to think that in our culture, despite all of the political crap being shoveled down our throats daily, that we remain at our core a culture that promotes personal intervention as needed, to whatever level necessary, because we believe non-violent solutions exist and the application of force is justified when needed to stop violence happening in the moment so that our desires for peaceful resolutions can be found.
No idea if that makes sense, but I'm tired of editing this comment on a post that would have sufficed with a 'Kudos Bro' and left it at that. Meh and so there.

I was walking in downtown portland on Saturday

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I had my sub compact size 9mm pistol that I normally carry that would be a very hard shot if I had to take it. Probably would have to go to the trail and go down the cliff try to close the distance or something.

A couple of rounds into the ground at your feet might have been enough to break it up if your voice didn't. Then you can have the gov agent swear that he ordered you to do it! ;)

Good call.

What would I have done if I had been in your shoes and the guy continued the attack? Would I have fired? No. I wouldn't know enough. For all I know, the naked woman might be crazy and tried to cut the homeless guy's d!ck off with a knife while he was sleeping peacefully. He might be unnecessarily violent now, but maybe he's really upset about waking up just barely in time to save his d!ck. Just because someone is a female doesn't mean they are an innocent party in any conflict with a male. And just because someone is losing the fight right now doesn't mean she didn't start it.

She's naked, he was not, or the post would have been about two naked people fighting. I find your premise to not get involved a bit short in consideration. First of all, he did not shoot, he verbally intervened. Second, I agree that a person happening on the scene cannot know all of the particulars of a situation, but in this case the particulars of the circumstance warrant intervention, if nothing else to impose a stop to physical violence to sort things out.
After all, if you happened upon a scene where your naked daughter was being assaulted by her boyfriend, would you not intervene, perhaps with lethal force? What about if she had an episode and decided to 'cut off his dick' as you purpose as a legitimate reason for the above assault? After all, even as a concerned and dotting father, you will never be privy to the dynamics of your offsprings lives in general and their relationships in particular.
Given the circumstances of the post, but tempered with your justification for non-intervention, how can you determine that the people involved in the fighting are not less deserving of your regard than anyone else? Is it perhaps because they live in a tent? Sorry but a significant portion of people on this planet live in crappy circumstances but they should be considered equal to everyone else when it comes to their rights. After all, our culture is built upon inalienable rights, exclusive of money, profession, circumstance, etc.
If you would defend someone you know but not someone you don't under the same situation, you are perpetuating the 'good for me but not for thee' attitude perpetuated by the privileged everywhere.

Sorry about the last post, was overkill, I need a massag, pedi and hot stone treatment. The holidays get me forum aggressive.... Apologies.

If it was someone I knew being attacked, that would be different. I would have some basis for understanding.

My refusal to shoot one stranger who is in a conflict with another stranger has nothing to do with any assessment of the worth of the strangers. It has only to do with the fact that I don't know what is going on or who is to blame. For all I know the whole thing may be staged by folks shooting a video.

I did, in fact, once intervene and prevent an attempted rape, at the potential risk of my life. However, in that case it was a lot clearer what was going on. However, the amount of potential physical and legal danger involved in intervening in a conflict between strangers is large. I will not intervene unless the situation is a lot clearer than this one was.

Sorry about the last post, was overkill, I need a massag, pedi and hot stone treatment. The holidays get me forum aggressive.... Apologies.
No sweat. Actually these sorts of things are really complicated. Easy to get intense.

No. I'm assuming that if it was my daughter she wouldnt have been ded!cking the guy unless he deserved it.

Good job on stopping the attack!

If you have an Oregon CC permit you can legally carry a concealed handgun.
Is it legal to carry a concealed carbine?
What about a concealed rifle?

EDIT: Thanks @solv3nt below - I didn't see anything in the ORS so it is probably legal.
EDIT 2: Looks like the combination of ORS 166.250 and ORS 166.260 allows a CC permit holder to carry "any firearm concealed upon the person". :) I'm not a lawyer either so DYODD.

ORS 166.250 says:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250),................a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;.......

ORS 166.260 says:
(1) ORS 166.250 (Unlawful possession of firearms) does not apply to or affect:
Police officers, retired officers, military members, etc......or
(i) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.

Last Edited:
Kudos to you both for speaking out.
Not saying you were at Mary Young, but I've seen some very sketchy folk there when I lived just down the street.
On my way to the east side today, the tent city that is directly beneath the Morrison Bridge seems to have grown eight times in size. And it looked like a dump.
Ever since the synagogue in Pittsburgh, I carry *every* day, everywhere it is allowed.

You did good.

Dunno where you were. Back in '91, the areas in Portland that I knew had lots of gunplay, regularly. In 2009 & 2010 I lived by Tillamook & Grand, and it was still a 5hithole. Though prostitution and dealing could be seen from my LR window in the house we were rebuilding, compared to Detroit or parts of Salem, it was pretty tame.
The homeless I see in Beaverton are in RVs or cars. No tents (yet).

Stay safe.
beaverton used to be a nice place i was their in the 80s and i don't remember seeing any homeless .

beaverton used to be a nice place i was their in the 80s and i don't remember seeing any homeless .
I grew up in Beaverton, didn't see any homeless here until the last 4 years or so, Oregon seems like it is becoming a problem state to me.
I heard from my one of my coworkers that Hawaii is giving homeless a free plane ride to Las Vegas and that Nevada is giving them a free plane ride to Portland, if that is true it would explain how it all seems to be going downhill fast and has been for several years now. As recently as 2014 it used to be safe to ride your bicycle from Beaverton to Portland(me and a bud went to the waffle window), now a days I wouldn't risk it. Portland I only go through if I absolutely have to, and when I do I have my CCW , a spare mag, and my buck knife. Though I have been considering carrying a larger caliber handgun(mine is a 9mm) and possibly a concealed short sword the way things are headed.

Would move asap if I could afford it, the Beaverton and Portland area's are not what they used to be.

As recently as 2014 it used to be safe to ride your bicycle from Beaverton to Portland(me and a bud went to the waffle window), now a days I wouldn't risk it. Portland I only go through if I absolutely have to, and when I do I have my CCW , a spare mag, and my buck knife. Though I have been considering carrying a larger caliber handgun(mine is a 9mm) and possibly a concealed short sword the way things are headed.

i've been a serious rider for years, riding around the portland metro area is no different now than it's ever been, with the exception of visibility. after that whole occupy movement bull bubblegum and city policy changes, homeless became significantly more visible because homelessness was somewhat decriminalized.. rules on camping in public right of way relaxed, bums started pitching tents in places average folk can see em. they've always been there, difference is now you see them.

personally, i like it. i think we SHOULD see them. if there's a problem- and seems many, and most posting in this thread think there is- then the more visible it is, the more likely we are to take steps to remedy it. voters and tax payers tend to give no bubblegums about things they're not even aware of, nah?

back to bikes and safety- when i'm competing, i can ride 200-400 miles a week, and it seems the best training trails are the best bum camping spots. i've never carried a gun, have never felt the need, and feel safer in this city than any other major metro area i've ever lived in. some you guys seem to be a lil irrational in your risk assessing. the odds you'd ever need to perforate someone in self defense are astronomical in pretty much any city in the US, and portland's better than most. i won't ever criticize anyone for wanting to carry- it's a form of insurance like any other- but don't feel like you need to justify your concealed weapon carriage by playing into sensationalized bullbubblegum rhetoric. you're safe with or without a bubblegum gun in this city.

EDIT: Thanks @solv3nt below - I didn't see anything in the ORS so it is probably legal.
EDIT 2: Looks like the combination of ORS 166.250 and ORS 166.260 allows a CC permit holder to carry "any firearm concealed upon the person". :) I'm not a lawyer either so DYODD.

ORS 166.250 says:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250),................a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

ORS 166.260 says:
(i) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) to carry a concealed handgun.
I should clarify that the gun is legally a "pistol", not a rifle or SBR. I appreciate the questions you posed as we all need to be aware of the laws.

ORS 166.250 says:

ORS 166.260 says:

Those are good questions as we all need to be aware of the laws. The firearm I had is legally a pistol and not an SBR, so I guess I shouldn't have used the term "pistol caliber carbine". I clarified the original post and sorry for any confusion on that.

Most people I know refer to these as PCCs, although I guess technically a PCC would have to have a 16" barrel.? I used "PCC" to distinguish it from a traditional pistol such as a 1911 or smaller. I guess we need a new term for "pistol" ARs and similar guns. Something along the lines of "sig brace firearms", "pistol-length firearms" or whatever.

Last Edited:
i've been a serious rider for years, riding around the portland metro area is no different now than it's ever been, with the exception of visibility. after that whole occupy movement bull bubblegum and city policy changes, homeless became significantly more visible because homelessness was somewhat decriminalized.. rules on camping in public right of way relaxed, bums started pitching tents in places average folk can see em. they've always been there, difference is now you see them.

personally, i like it. i think we SHOULD see them. if there's a problem- and seems many, and most posting in this thread think there is- then the more visible it is, the more likely we are to take steps to remedy it. voters and tax payers tend to give no bubblegums about things they're not even aware of, nah?

back to bikes and safety- when i'm competing, i can ride 200-400 miles a week, and it seems the best training trails are the best bum camping spots. i've never carried a gun, have never felt the need, and feel safer in this city than any other major metro area i've ever lived in. some you guys seem to be a lil irrational in your risk assessing. the odds you'd ever need to perforate someone in self defense are astronomical in pretty much any city in the US, and portland's better than most. i won't ever criticize anyone for wanting to carry- it's a form of insurance like any other- but don't feel like you need to justify your concealed weapon carriage by playing into sensationalized bullbubblegum rhetoric. you're safe with or without a goddamn gun in this city.
I agree that in 99.9% of most instances, none of us will ever need a gun. But what about that .1%, if it meant you had to pull it and use it to save someone's life? It seems like everyone is carrying these days and threads like these can get heated at times, so most times i choose not to reply to them. Its probably best to try and put yourself in someone else's shoes, in threads like these.

Last Edited:
to reiterate- carry a gun all you want.

my point is that acting like doing so is going to make a statistically relevant difference in peoples longevity in portland is irrational.

forever forfeit cheeseburgers- that WILL drastically improve your odds of long life. so will regular exercise and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships in your personal life. so will not being a sadist, having empathy, giving to the poor, having faith in a religion, not drinking, not smoking, etc... but carrying a gun in portland is very unlikely to make any difference at all. the odds are so small, it's statistically irrelevant.

carry a gun all you want. having a pistol under your jacket hurts absolutely nothing, and if that .0001% situation ever arises, lives might be saved.

BUT...... how much harm is done when a significant portion of people with guns on their hips live their lives in a state of fear or are dishonest about the reasons why they have a gun on their hips? if a man convinces himself that the state of affairs in our country is such that there's a good chance he'll need to shoot someone, i daresay theres better odds that man is doing more harm by spreading misinformation and mistrust and hostility between his fellow man than odds his pistol will ever do good.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top