JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will withhold my personal opinion until we can see the video of the shooting. It is worth noting that the person who fired the shot, was punched in the head -- taking a head blow is not likely something that will qualify for SD in a place like Seattle. The article also indicates that the shooter stepped forward to his assailant when he shot him -- if so that's a bad fact. Worth remembering that if you don't go to extremes to avoid a confrontation, they will come after you. Of course, that is simply what was reported in the media and without video, take that with a pound of salt.

"I will comply with the investigation and make a statement after I have met with my lawyer."

Nothing more should be said. The end.
Mas Ayoob has a simple 5 step recommendation on this, but in a stress situation 5 steps might be 4 too many. The phrase above, more or less, is step 5.

Mas Ayoob has a simple 5 step recommendation on this, but in a stress situation 5 steps might be 4 too many. The phrase above, more or less, is step 5.

I'd say for most people, plugging someone is an event that any plan should utilize the "less is more" approach when "the big brain" is already being overloaded.

I'd say for most people, plugging someone is an event that any plan should utilize the "less is more" approach when "the big brain" is already being overloaded.
The steps are pretty simple, but you make a good point; basically:

1. I am the victim
  2. There is/are the assailants
  3. Here is evidence
  4. Those are witnesses
  5. I will cooperate fully after legal counsel is present.

Just something the consider :
Often in stressful situations...
The mind "sees" what it wants / expects to see....and does not see what is actually there.
Andy

Another reason to not talk or to say only the bare minimum, including "attorney", is because anything a person says, even if true from that person's perspective, if it doesn't exactly match up with pervasive surveillance it becomes a problem.

Drejka had the same issue talking and thinking the video would support him. Perhaps from his perspective it did look like the dude was getting ready to kick. Moving a leg backward to wind up for a kick might be seen as a similar physical action to taking a step backward when you're seeing things from a dog's eye view, but video from a bird's eye view perpendicular to Drejka's line of sight, made the situation look different and the "inconsistent" statement became an issue.

There is no upside to talking to the police. None. And lots of downsides.
Mas actually gave a few examples of upsides to saying a very few things. One example was where saying nothing gave the attackers opportunity to frame the incident in a way that was very hard to then change the investigators viewpoint.

But the things he recommends saying are very minimal.

Mas actually gave a few examples of upsides to saying a very few things. One example was where saying nothing gave the attackers opportunity to frame the incident in a way that was very hard to then change the investigators viewpoint.

But the things he recommends saying are very minimal.
So just shoot to kill, if you must shoot?

So just shoot to kill, if you must shoot?

Although your comment was likely in jest.

No, you must shoot to stop the threat, "shooting to kill" is what changes a self defense situation into a murder or manslaughter charge, if while shooting to stop the threat a byproduct is death of the attacker, that's just the breaks, shouldN't have been trying to commit felony assault.

Another guy who would've been better off not carrying. I'm thinking a whole lot more people have a carry permit than know even the basics of law pertaining to use of lethal force. Nobody wants to take a punch in the face. I'm thinking the shooter wanted to avoid another one. But once the assailant turned away, shooting was off the table. And probably was off the table all along since the assailant apparently was armed only with fists. What is the legal term, unequal force? Or something like that.

The other thing is, never forget there are cameras everywhere.

Back when I was in my 20's, I was assaulted for no good reason. It was a random act. They got around behind me and I took a solid punch in the side of the head and went down. The assailant didn't stick around. I don't think anyone likes the idea of being beaten. And you never know how severe it might be. Every once in a while, you read about somebody being beaten to death; it happens but not all that often as a random act. So I guess I would rather take a few punches than go to prison for a bad shoot.

The case with the volunteer neighborhood watch guy, George Zimmerman comes to mind. That episode apparently started with fists and lead to the shooting. No way would Zimmerman have been acquited in today's political climate.

This ties in well with another thread here that is going now. The one about "How close do you let them get to you?" This is a good one for study, as the unarmed assailant got up good and close to the shooter several times before the blow was struck and then the shot was fired.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top