JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to say that the cost of training like this is tough. With that said I could probably afford to do it with some money managment but it also comes down to time.

I work two full time jobs for the most part and then you have your family to take care of. Then there is your yard, home and everything else that comes in addition.

I plan on making time to do more things like this but for now my military urban training and the training that I do on going will have to work. I will take someone who trains like me over someone who does nothing any day of the week. Will I do everything perfectly no maybe not but I will go home to my family at the end of the day.

And that's why I would always stop short of making training a requirement for anyone. In reality, your job, your income, even your location has a big effect on your ability to get training. Schools aren't cheap, just as the 500+ rounds of ammo you need for just one day of shooting. I think that training is indispensable, but if people just get out and practice with their guns, they're already doing more than some folks do. I know plenty of folks that own guns (say pistols for self/home defense) but don't even take them out to practice, even once a year. I think among the folks on this forum, practice is much more common.

But having been through some great training at OFA (sorry to see they shut down :(), I highly recommend higher level training to everyone who can do it. For me, it was an investment in time and money, but I learned more in those classes than I ever would have at the range. For now, I need to find a new place to train since OFA is no longer an option.

Not sure if you are giving me sh*t here though.

Not at all.... I use :p:p:p when I talk smack. Honest inquiry, Play "Getting to know you"...

Getting to know you
Getting to know all about you
Getting to like you
Getting to hope you like me

Getting to know you
Putting it my way but nicely
You are precisely my cup of tea

Getting to know you
Getting to feel free and easy
When I am with you
Getting to know what to say

Haven't you noticed
Suddenly I'm bright and breezy?
Because of all those beautiful and new
Things I'm learning about you day by day

- The King and I

:p:p:p

The training requirements for an Oregon CHL are a joke. They put concealed weapons in the hands of people who may have never fired a gun in their life, and may never even after getting a CHL. I have seen this happen many times.

Yup, I agree. Hooooowwwwever, we have a lot of folks talking about 2A and Universal Right to Carry. If firearm licensing is considered to be taking away God-given rights, then CHL licensing is that x2. Drivers license we have because driving on public roads is a priviledge. That concept does not square with 2A rights. Yet, how do we ensure that people are carrying safely? Does "the State" have an interest in this as a public safety concept? (The foundation of many judicial rulings)

And that's why I would always stop short of making training a requirement for anyone.

Thank you for that!! Oregun used to have a range time requirement for CHL. Really, it was no big deal. Just some target practice. I didn't mind but a lot of people are agin it, and a lot of people think there sure be more required. I don't think we are going to see any change tho. Unless the Bloomfielders make some crazy rule where the required training would be prohibitive.

I'm very concerned about pricing po folks out of the self-defense market. That's my constichency and has been done a lot of damage nationally. They didn't want the shotgun handouts to women, but black women benefitted greatly as being at greater risk. The banning of weapons like Cobra or Hi-point would have the same effect.

there is no evidence that suggests mandatory training reduces accidents or improves ones chance of surviving a lethal encounter. But it is proven to trample on ones right to bear arms when they suddenly find themselves under constant threat of violence.... not everyone who owns a gun for protection wants to carry concealed, should they be forced to spend well over a hundred dollars for a basic live fire class 'just in case' someday they might need to carry?

Washington state has no class requirement to get a CHL. You just go get one. They don't have any higher rate of gun related accidents than any other state.

Weapons training is a given, and gun owners know it most. But making it mandatory is like saying you have to at least be as good as a professional in order to exercise your right.

Simple fix: Mandatory Basic Weapons Safety (the four rules and such, Common Sense stuff) in Health Class every year of jr. high/HS. :)

Absolutely, because "a well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, etc.". We as citizens should be educated in the basics of firearms, because in the end it's up to us to maintain the security of this free State. It's hard to think of a more useful purpose for state education funds.

I carry a Ruger 380 with spare mag on my ankle. If a day at the mall, theater, public event, whatever, gets real bad real fast and I can't get myself or loved ones out a back door then I have a fighting chance. I know an ankle holster isn't conducive to quick draw but If I have that little notice of my need for it then I've been outdrawn already, ie a weapon in my face in an alley. I guess my other choice is to carry in my wallet pocket, that would let me draw while pretending to get my wallet, but I don't like sitting on the bloody thing all the time, so ankle it is.
How do other people carry, and why?

I carry a Ruger 380 with spare mag on my ankle. If a day at the mall, theater, public event, whatever, gets real bad real fast and I can't get myself or loved ones out a back door then I have a fighting chance. I know an ankle holster isn't conducive to quick draw but If I have that little notice of my need for it then I've been outdrawn already, ie a weapon in my face in an alley. I guess my other choice is to carry in my wallet pocket, that would let me draw while pretending to get my wallet, but I don't like sitting on the bloody thing all the time, so ankle it is.
Currently carrying a Shield .45 in a Concealment Express kydex iwb holster at 3 o'clock... Most of my carry is in this position as it's the most comfortable and most accessible for me... I always wear a button down shirt, so concealment is typically not an issue for me... Even if I'm carrying a Combat Commander...

I carry a Ruger SR9c OWB at 3 oclock and 10rd mag inserted and two 17rd mags on the offhand side. Because that is the way I shoot in IDPA. Other forms of carry are not allowed there due to bystanders... it would be too hazardous. Anyway, I carry the way I train. Muscle memory works. I think. Works for military, works for martial arts, soooooo

Im usually carrying my Shield 9mm or 45 and sometimes I carry my 1911 commander, all 3 o'clock. I wear a big t-shirt and dont worry about it. People are way too involved with their phone to notice...

I carry a S&W 40 in a Barsony leather holster at 4 o clock. 2 Spare mags left side. Pepper spray right front pocket. If going to a crowd, drop the Tarus .380 in the wallet holster in the right back pocket. Button down shirt tails out as well.

I carried a Tarus 380 in my wallet holster for a long time. Then after the Colorado theater shootings, I asked myself if I could make that across the theater shot with the sub compact .380. That answer was a big fat NO. So I went to the Ruger LCP 9mm for a while, then decided that the low capacity and bullet weight was not what I wanted anymore and ended up with my S&W 40.

Tried an ankle holster for a while, but with some of my physical limitations drawing that effectively was not going to happen. I do know a few police officers who carry a .380 in an ankle holster as a third backup, makes sense.

My wife has a Taurus .380 in a pocket holster that works real well. Bought it for her when the .357 got to be too heavy for her to lug around. Oh, she's 75 wonderful years old. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top