JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been almost two years since I escaped California and moved to Oregon. In Oregon, I bought the carry gun I had been dreaming of, a CZ P-01 Omega 9mm. This gun is not on the California roster of handguns so it's almost impossible to get in California. Anyway, it's an excellent gun. It fits well in my grip, not to heavy but heavy enough to help with recoil. I bought some nice wood grips and the excellent TruGlo TFX Pro sights for it. I really like this gun but I almost never carry it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable inside my waistband and the hammer sometimes rubs my skin raw. Almost every time I carry instead my Sig p238 in 380 acp. The tiny p238 is so easy to carry and it also has Truglo TFX Pro sights. The CZ and the Sig are both reliable and accurate.

I love the Sig, but it's less than half the firepower of the CZ (less powerful round and only half the ammo capacity). I'm not sure what to do about this. I could buy an outside the waistband holster for comfort and carry the CZ, but then I'll never be able to take my jacket off without revealing the pistol. Or I could just stick with the Sig for carry, since I really don't get out that much and the odds of needing a gun for self defense are pretty low on any given day. I'd be happy to hear some thoughts and opinions on this issue. Thank you!

I carried a G19 for about 10 years, then went to an Ruger LCP when I had to wear a suit for work...so I get the situation.

Often a smaller platform Sig P365 for instance will give you 10 rounds of 9MM and a second mag thrown in your off-hand pocket may make sense.

I just bought the P365, waiting my mandatory 10 day wait time.

My 2 cents.

I have had similar thoughts about my .40 S&W Shield and my Sig P238. My solution is to use both, letting the circumstances dictate which one I use. Those two are primarily IWB, but I do occasionally carry the Shield OWB. I also occasionally carry a S&W 642 OWB.

I guess I'm just wondering what your thought process was. Why was the cz your dream carry gun? Did you buy it with the intent to carry IWB?

Comparing the two guns you have, they're apples to oranges size wise.

cz_238.png

How about a holster that has the leather that protects your skin from the hammer?
Screenshot 2024-03-13 163310.jpg
This one goes up behind the gun to keep it off you.

I have one and it works well for my Dagger.

I carry a Sig 229 OWB with a tucked in tee shirt and a untucked henley style shirt. The holster is a 1791 thumb break. I have a couple long tailed heavy shirts that work as well and can be left un- buttoned if desired.

I carry a CZ P-01 daily. OWB in a kydex Vedder LightDraw. I dress around it. Easy enough in the winter, warmer weather I just untuck my t-shirt. Body side shield on the holster takes care of any skin issue. Prints a squeak with the t-shirt but works for me (I wear baggy t-shirts). YMMV

I really like this gun but I almost never carry it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable inside my waistband and the hammer sometimes rubs my skin raw.
You need a better holster with a "standard cut" with a quality real gun belt to support it.

Probably the most comfortable IWB I use is the Crossbreed Supertuck. But a full size or even a mid size will never be truly comfortable to carry IWB all day long.

It's been almost two years since I escaped California and moved to Oregon. In Oregon, I bought the carry gun I had been dreaming of, a CZ P-01 Omega 9mm. This gun is not on the California roster of handguns so it's almost impossible to get in California. Anyway, it's an excellent gun. It fits well in my grip, not to heavy but heavy enough to help with recoil. I bought some nice wood grips and the excellent TruGlo TFX Pro sights for it. I really like this gun but I almost never carry it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable inside my waistband and the hammer sometimes rubs my skin raw. Almost every time I carry instead my Sig p238 in 380 acp. The tiny p238 is so easy to carry and it also has Truglo TFX Pro sights. The CZ and the Sig are both reliable and accurate.

I love the Sig, but it's less than half the firepower of the CZ (less powerful round and only half the ammo capacity). I'm not sure what to do about this. I could buy an outside the waistband holster for comfort and carry the CZ, but then I'll never be able to take my jacket off without revealing the pistol. Or I could just stick with the Sig for carry, since I really don't get out that much and the odds of needing a gun for self defense are pretty low on any given day. I'd be happy to hear some thoughts and opinions on this issue. Thank you!
It sounds like you need some lotion for your skin.

The odds of needed your gun are low. What do you do when you roll snake eyes? Because low odds aren't zero odds and even a destitute crack head can win Powerball

I'll echo what you've already read, belt and holster need to be examined. If the P-01 is uncomfortable to carry that's a direct effect of bad holster design and possibly inappropriate belt.

Personally I prefer a double thick, steel lined Bigfoot leather Gunbelt as the foundation for daily carry. I carried an Sig M11-A1 in an Sig branded kydex iwb holster with a claw (to draw the gun butt close to the body). Carried this in the 3 o'clock position, comfortably, even under an oversized (1 size up) t-shirt. Double stack 9 mm's of reasonable weight need a solid foundation to rest upon.

Couple of other tips, upsize that waistband on carry pants by one size and that gun belt should also be upsized one size. This provides the space to iwb that P-01, more comfortably. Making these changes will go a long way to make it comfortable to carry that P-01.

I carry OWB on the belt. And I do basic concealment while doing so; I just use a longish buttondown. I have them for all weather, short sleeve, long, heavy coat, super light fabric. . . And all of them at least just long enough to cover the whole holster.

I used to carry IWB, and still will if I ever need real concealment. I recommend a fully backed holster like the CrossBreed to keep gun bits from chafing, but past that smaller is indeed far easier to carry IWB than bigger. For IWB I carry a Khar PM9 I got way back when I worked in an office.

If you ware going to carry OWB and still want some level of concealment learn to love long shirts and going untucked. I have been doing it so long that that is now basically my entire wardrobe; pants (with gun belt), tucked tshirt, untucked button down. I can carry that way in any weather just by altering the cover garment. Easy peasy.

I carry IWB. Makes me feel good and people look at the bulge! 🤣🤣 jk. I got an LCP max and I love that little thing. Never thought I would ever own a 380 carry gun but it's just so easily concealed.

Get a p938 or p365. Virtually the same size as p238 but 9mm. Alabama holster in the pocket and you'll forget it's there it's so easy to carry.
6DF78F87-3D8E-4D34-8366-627828EA523D.png
630FD34D-2F5F-4442-B86B-4D0D01D74114.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR