JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get a p938 or p365. Virtually the same size as p238 but 9mm. Alabama holster in the pocket and you'll forget it's there it's so easy to carry.
This is a good suggestion, but I've already bought a Sig p938 and sold it because the recoil was too much for me with 9mm in a tiny gun. I mean, I can shoot it, but it hurts and it's no fun to practice with.

This is a good suggestion, but I've already bought an Sig p938 and sold it because the recoil was too much for me with 9mm in a tiny gun. I mean, I can shoot it, but it hurts and it's no fun to practice with.
Go with something like a G19 or if you want the "skinny" version a G48. Not sure if you have tried either of those.

What holster and belt are you using for your CZ? And where on your waist are you carrying it?

This is a good suggestion, but I've already bought a Sig p938 and sold it because the recoil was too much for me with 9mm in a tiny gun. I mean, I can shoot it, but it hurts and it's no fun to practice with.
Who cares if it's a self defense gun if it's no fun to practice with? Fun is not it's primary purpose. Having it with you all the time and effectiveness is what's important. Put some grip tape on it if it hurts (it shouldn't hurt, are you gripping it as tight as you can?). Try some critical defense 115 gr 9mm it's pretty mild recoil.

I put cats tongue grip tape on mine. Fits my hand like a friggin glove (for a small gun I mean). Also added a trigger shoe to make trigger wide and flat, as well as the hammer spring kit which lightens the trigger pull yet is still 100% reliable. I carry other guns at times also such as p365 but always go back to this one due to ease of carry. Guess I better switch to my other holster this one is cracked after a decade of all day every day use and abuse.

672FBDF0-25BE-4F8C-A211-6F191D3AE92C.jpeg

Last Edited:
Don't carry for comfort. Carry something you can fight with.

Learn to be uncomfortable. What you carry should bring you a level of comfort. Not vise versa.
These are not mutually exclusive. If you get the right holster it should be comfortable. Comfort is important, if your carry rig is uncomfortable you will find excuse to not carry it. If it is comfortable the habit of putting it on will become second nature. The easier you make it on yourself the easier that habit is to form.

It's been almost two years since I escaped California and moved to Oregon. In Oregon, I bought the carry gun I had been dreaming of, a CZ P-01 Omega 9mm. This gun is not on the California roster of handguns so it's almost impossible to get in California. Anyway, it's an excellent gun. It fits well in my grip, not to heavy but heavy enough to help with recoil. I bought some nice wood grips and the excellent TruGlo TFX Pro sights for it. I really like this gun but I almost never carry it. Why? Because it's uncomfortable inside my waistband and the hammer sometimes rubs my skin raw. Almost every time I carry instead my Sig p238 in 380 acp. The tiny p238 is so easy to carry and it also has Truglo TFX Pro sights. The CZ and the Sig are both reliable and accurate.

I love the Sig, but it's less than half the firepower of the CZ (less powerful round and only half the ammo capacity). I'm not sure what to do about this. I could buy an outside the waistband holster for comfort and carry the CZ, but then I'll never be able to take my jacket off without revealing the pistol. Or I could just stick with the Sig for carry, since I really don't get out that much and the odds of needing a gun for self defense are pretty low on any given day. I'd be happy to hear some thoughts and opinions on this issue. Thank you!
+1 to what's already been covered, plus some additions of my own:
  • A proper gun belt is the foundation of comfortable carry. Check holster and firearm retailers for some options specifically designed for that purpose.
  • New holster with higher backing to protect your body from the slide. There are a million models out there, so that can be overwhelming. I would start with some of the name brands that have a decent history in the business, lots of good reviews, and a good reputation for quality (Vedder, Galco, etc). While you're at it, make sure the holster has proper retention - some of those leather holsters are super comfortable, but don't retain the gun well enough. Retention = if you turn it upside down and jiggle it, the gun stays in the holster.
  • Tucked t-shirt + untucked button down shirt for all weather carry (invest in cotton shirts so you don't sweat yourself to death). Invest in patterned shirts (flannel, plaid, etc) with darker tones to break up the outline of any printing.
  • You may need to reconsider the positioning of the holster/firearm on the belt. For example, try adjusting the holster placement along your belt line in tiny increments to see if that changes the feel of carry for the better or worse. Find a couple spots that feel ok, and test those more thoroughly until you land on a holster placement that feels right and you can access properly to draw.
  • You may need to adjust the cant of the holster to accommodate repositioning on the beltline. Adjusting cant may also improve comfort of your current carry position.
  • You might also try different carry methods, i.e. appendix, to see if you like that any better.
  • If you haven't done so already, consider going up one pants size in the waist to better accommodate the gun in your pants... Phrasing!
In short, there's a reason most of us have drawers full of old holsters - everyone has a different body type and comfort threshold, and it's a game of trial and error until you find one that works for you... Oh, and then a few years later your preferences will change, so you'll need to find another new holster. it's a vicious, neverending cycle.

+1 to what's already been covered, plus some additions of my own:
  • A proper gun belt is the foundation of comfortable carry. Check holster and firearm retailers for some options specifically designed for that purpose.
  • New holster with higher backing to protect your body from the slide. There are a million models out there, so that can be overwhelming. I would start with some of the name brands that have a decent history in the business, lots of good reviews, and a good reputation for quality (Vedder, Galco, etc). While you're at it, make sure the holster has proper retention - some of those leather holsters are super comfortable, but don't retain the gun well enough. Retention = if you turn it upside down and jiggle it, the gun stays in the holster.
  • Tucked t-shirt + untucked button down shirt for all weather carry (invest in cotton shirts so you don't sweat yourself to death). Invest in patterned shirts (flannel, plaid, etc) with darker tones to break up the outline of any printing.
  • You may need to reconsider the positioning of the holster/firearm on the belt. For example, try adjusting the holster placement along your belt line in tiny increments to see if that changes the feel of carry for the better or worse. Find a couple spots that feel ok, and test those more thoroughly until you land on a holster placement that feels right and you can access properly to draw.
  • You may need to adjust the cant of the holster to accommodate repositioning on the beltline. Adjusting cant may also improve comfort of your current carry position.
  • You might also try different carry methods, i.e. appendix, to see if you like that any better.
  • If you haven't done so already, consider going up one pants size in the waist to better accommodate the gun in your pants... Phrasing!
In short, there's a reason most of us have drawers full of old holsters - everyone has a different body type and comfort threshold, and it's a game of trial and error until you find one that works for you... Oh, and then a few years later your preferences will change, so you'll need to find another new holster. it's a vicious, neverending cycle.
Ain't that the truth. The amount of belts I have hanging in a closet and holsters in bins is stupid…. And I'm a left handed shooter which means little to no secondary market. Yay for me……

Luckily after 15+ years of trial and error I finally arrived at a carry system I am very fond of and don't see myself shying away from anytime soon. It just took a lot of time, money, and patience to get here.

Thank you for all the suggestions folks. I have been looking into some of your holster and belt suggestions, some of which I have already tried and some I have not tried. I will probably continue to carry the Sig p238 most of the time. But if there are riots in town or some other BS going on, I'll be packing the CZ P-01.

Whelp...
  • Rethinking your holster/belt and/or carry position may be in order.
  • You can also OWB carry with just an untucked shirt over it. It doesn't have to be a jacket
  • I would think you could solve the issues to be able to find something that works with the CZ. But if not, then a new carry gun perhaps. If you go down this path, the best thing to do is go to a range with a good rental counter. You're absolutely right that many of the small guns are downright unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. But you should be able to sort through this via the rental counter. Plus it will be fun.

Thank you for all the suggestions folks. I have been looking into some of your holster and belt suggestions, some of which I have already tried and some I have not tried. I will probably continue to carry the Sig p238 most of the time. But if there are riots in town or some other BS going on, I'll be packing the CZ P-01.
To keep cost down, try looking for used holsters to try out. I'm sure someone on this forum has ones you could buy for cheap. Don't give up hope!

I regularly carry OWB, with just a large button up shirt untucked.

My carry is often either a 1911 10mm long slide (6" barrel), Glock 40 10mm Long Slide (6" barrel), 6 shot 44mag with 4" barrel, Canik TP9SFX 9mm with factory 20rd mag, and once I get a holster for the new one, a Beretta 92 clone.

A simple big and tall button up shirt one size larger than and it will conceal any of my full size platforms with OWB carry.

I regularly carry OWB, with just a large button up shirt untucked.

My carry is often either a 1911 10mm long slide (6" barrel), Glock 40 10mm Long Slide (6" barrel), 6 shot 44mag with 4" barrel, Canik TP9SFX 9mm with factory 20rd mag, and once I get a holster for the new one, a Beretta 92 clone.

A simple big and tall button up shirt one size larger than and it will conceal any of my full size platforms with OWB carry.
I cant help but notice how you manage to conceal probably some of the largest handguns but your avitar photo shows one of the smallest handguns ever made.
Just a fun observation....

Just to mix it up, today I'll be carrying my S&W 40 Shield cross draw in a de Santis holster. I have a bunch of driving to do and the smaller pistol and cross draw position is more comfortable. Still with the long tailed over shirt for cover.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top